free hit
counters
Winter tyres, a Lotus proActive analysis - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Winter tyres, a Lotus proActive analysis

Of course they are, in fact at temperatures below about 7°C those summer tires become hard as glass. More exactly, why would Formula  otherwise have so many different tire compounds?

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for a late night drive yesterday as the sky was falling in near white-out conditions, with my Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II 240 XL winter tires and while everyone else was sliding all over the place, I didn't even come close to drifting, even when pushing it. So between the tires and Bosch's software, I think I can say the Evora is awesome in snow.

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

• 9 months later...

Just fitted a set of Yokohama W-Drive's to my AWD Impreza WRX. We live on a farm and I'll expect to be fully mobile this year with that combination :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

The article suggest that you are better off with winter tyres on roads below 7 degrees c than normal tyres. Yet the diagram clearly show that a Lotus Evora (nice graphic by the way) stops better on a dry road at 5 degrees c than a winter tyre!?

The new legislation designed to stop confusion between cold weather tyres and snow tyres uses a symbol of a snow flake to illustrate a cold weather tyre.

What the [email protected]!? :stuart:

Another one...

So if winter tyres are 90% as good as summer tyres in the summer and summer tyres are 30% as good as winter tyres in the winter, why do most Brits drive on summer tyres all year round, and not winter tyres?

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Did they really show 58 meters while he said 85 (at 1:10)??

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

85 to stop, 58 more than the other car.

Evora NA

Another one...

So if winter tyres are 90% as good as summer tyres in the summer and summer tyres are 30% as good as winter tyres in the winter, why do most Brits drive on summer tyres all year round, and not winter tyres?

Probably because that is on snow which we get for about 2 weeks if that?

They're not snow tyres...

Evora NA

They're not snow tyres...

Your statistics were for summer vs snow tyre performance on snow and as we all know if everyone had winter & snow tyres on their cars they would have no excuse but to turn up for work when a few flakes of snow hit the ground. ;)  

Watch the video. It compares the tyres braking performance in the wet too.

Evora NA

Ahahh! Your testing me to see if I was paying attention in class.

Luckily I was this time (but confess to watching bits of the video again to backup my answer): statistics of 27m for winter tyres and 85m for summer tyres stopping on snow. The test on standing water was 35.5m for winter tyres and 42.5m for summer so you couldn't be referring to the water test as that isn't a 30% efficiency.

Do I get a lolly pop or can I play with the toys for the rest of the day?

• 1 month later...

I fitted winter tyres to my AWD car almost 2 months ago, and pretty much every day it's been over 8 degrees and no snow! Great in the wet though, especially through standing water! 

Evora NA