free hit
counters
Removal of headlamp pod. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Roger 912

Removal of headlamp pod.

Hope someone can help me. I need to remove the driver's side headlamp pod to move the mounting plate for the activator rod as the headlamp is to high when the level is set at the off position and if I set the headlamp at the correct high position, the pod is below bonnet level at rest.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Are you trying to adjust the headlamp beams? The pod ought to be adjusted so that it's flush when off...then the beam is adjusted by removing the trim around the headlights and using the adjusters on the lights themselves.

If you have a pod which won't sit flush, the adjustment for that is the threaded rod on the linkage....assuming the motor is stopping consistently in the same place when you turn the lights off.

If you have a pod which sits flush but doesn't align with the other one when the lights are on, then perhaps you would have to reposition the linkage. If I remember correctly, the pods have one bearing combined with the bonnet pivot and the other one is pop rivetted to the shell. I believe I had to drill out the pop rivets when I took mine apart, but that was around 1993.... 

When I look at the passenger side inside the slot for the activation rod, the four hole bracket is sitting flush with the base of the pod The drivers side is about 10 mm higher than the other.

I have a feeling that my car was involved in a minor prang on the driver's side front as the activation rod, which should have a right hand and a left hand thread, has both right hand threads so it is a dismantling process on one end to adjust.

When the motor is at its lowest position and I adjust the pod to sit flush with the body, now in the on position, the pod goes over the vertical by at least 10 degrees and it is outside the adjustment of the headlamps. I need to set the amount of pod activation to a lower amount by adjusting the 4 bolt plate attached inside the pod. Hope this all makes sense.

Roger.

"Viola" all sorted out. I found that if I disconnect the activating rod, the pod swings up. I loosened the 4 bolts and re-positioned the plate to where the other one is and tightened the bolts. Then reconnected the activating rod and with suitable adjustment, the pod sits flush when off and vertical when activated. I see that there are two spare wires inside the pod. I had better leave well alone. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

I think the two spare wires provide for having two twin filament lights instead of one...mine was like that, too! Also the threaded adjusting rods on mine are RH threads ...having a RH and a LH thread would be ideal, but hasn't been provided! Glad you've sorted it...

any idea how i can align my bonnet?  or conversely align the headlamp pods, the front edges of my bonnet are high than the pods.  and actually the whole bonnet is not flush with the front to be honest, when i close the latch the bonnet pressed down hard on the top of the windscreen wiper socket.