free hit
counters
Choosing a jump-starter pack - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
TimSportsTourer

Choosing a jump-starter pack

What's the cranking current that I should aim for from a jump starter pack?

I take delivery of my "new" Esprit at the end of the week, and want to follow the advice of one of my Esprit-owning friends who says, "You should buy a defibrillator for it."

Small jump starters are lighter (good), cheaper (better) but deliver less peak current (worse). Bigger ones are the opposite. I just can't find out what the cranking current is of the Esprit. For reference, it's a very early S4. I know the battery is specced to supply up to 570A, but I've no idea what the starter motor really draws. I've searched and searched on here, but I've not been able to find the answer.

Can anyone help? Have you experience of jump-starter packs that work? Or don't? How big is big enough?

Hoping you can help. Thanks.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

What you need is a trickle charger mate. CTek are well thought of. Either that or just drive it more - in 12 years of Esprit ownership I'm struggling to remember I ever jumped the car and letting the battery die knobs it up and resets your ecu.

I do have a trickle charger, and I plan I to use it all the time. It's what I did with my Elise, and it was a very easy habit to get into. But that won't help when I'm out and about, and I plan to get out and about, all being well. Hence the need for a defib. Thanks, Bibs.

Then you won't need a jump pack! The battery is more than adequate to start the car. If your pal needs one perhaps he's be better off getting a new battery which holds its charge? There are plenty on other things which you can spend your money on, if you're worried I'd imagine a recovery policy would be the same price but comes with more potential usefulness!

I have a recovery policy too :-) But I do see your point, Bibs. It's food for thought. But if you were to humour me, and to consider it as belt and braces and...errr...staples, how big a starter pack? Really, I'll be reconsidering. But if a small pack will do the job, they are just £30, so why not?

Costco have a decent one for about £50. Always worked when I have needed it and the trouble with cheaper units is they never work when required which makes them a complete waste of money, not to mention frustrating.

Trevor.

most of the *autostore/ home-depot store* jump starter kits ..made in China

http://www.gps-haus.de/Auto-Zubehoer/Batterie-Ladegeraete/PowerPack-mit-Starthilfe-Funktion-und-Steckerladegeraet::20889.html

(those with, or without air-comp for tires ..what is actually good on racedays I would say, and additional light)

..most of those do have an ordinary 17-20Ah lead battery in it an can offer what the Esprit needs. 

I've bought one for my V8 prior to the starter-modification/repair  -and it even works there ..I also got one for free as well ..as I recomended a membership in an automobile-club (like AAA/RAC) to a friend ..and this one similar to the one shown above was the bonus to choose.

So if you are really woried to park your car for several weeks far from home (first mention that there might be a technical reason for massive drain in the cars battery)  ..if you are really woried, undo the spare wheel with jack -and replace it with the starter-pack, as it weights nearly as much. Also choose tire fit/tire spray instead of the wheel, and it sums up to no notable additional weight in the front luggage compartement.

As a note: most of those seem to have really short cables, so it is not allways easy to get there on the outside contact for the esprit battery in the rear trunk on the far right.  Try to mease it up first, a good product should have cables winded up at least two times all around on the outside of the whole starter-pack -and that for example is not the case on the example shown !

there is another one, verry similar (as all of those are made by one company in Asia you can say, and just the labels for the various discount store change from time to time  )

http://www.lidl.de/de/Kompressoren/cartrend-Power-Station-mit-Airkompressor?et_cid=9&et_lid=795670&et_sub=shopwahl

Edited by Günter