free hit
counters
Getting another Esprit back on the Road..... - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Lex Templar

Getting another Esprit back on the Road.....

Some of you may remember my Esprit arrived in Australia some 6 months ago and despite me trying everything in my power to have it on the road it hasn't yet happened.

'A65JEX' has no doubt been looked after, the paint is original and wonderful, the interior is like the day it left the factory but there is no better example of a low mileage car not always being the most usable.

Looking at the history in the last 10 years the car has averaged 1000 miles a year and has not been driven now for 12 months and it is begging to be used like it should be. I am planning to put a lot of kms on it in the next year to clear it out.

So.

The timing belts have been done, starter motor re-conditined (the shaft sheared in 2 somewhere between the Port in Australia and the garage. The brakes are off the car and being overhauled as the caliper pistons had seized and the brake lines were full of gunk.

So I am told the car will be ready in 2 weeks and then the aim is to get some kind of reliability happening. All the cooling hoses will need to be replaced as the are rock hard and brittle.

For those of you who dont remember this is the car I am talking about.

I will add to the thread as it comes together.

http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us

Edited by Lex Templar

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Ive just realise this car is in the DVD "Addiction for life" which i bought at the Lotus festival in Brands hatch this year.  It was in a building which obviously housed many cars and seemed to belong to a guy who had many cars.  This one was there along with an Essex and a commemerative edition with only 250 miles on or so,  So who is he and why did he sell.  I know thi car was for sale in Essex and i spoke to the vendor.  If i had not been in Nigeria i would have been to view it.  Couldnt bring myself to pay a depsit without seeing it.

Can anyone enlighten us?

I will have to get a copy of the DVD. What year was the DVD made? The car was owned by LEW in around 2006/7 and was sold twice within a few month at the end of 2011, I missed it the first time and made sure I got it the second time obviously without seeing it.

Edited by Lex Templar

lex

Away fom home until the weekend.  let me check i am correct but am sure i am.  Will post some more at the weekend.  Will give you details of the DVD too

Phil

Hi Lex

Im right.  Here is a photo of the telly.  Phil

Can anyone give me an idea of what the following SHOULD cost me (in pounds or dollars) for each job by a lotus mechanic and how many hours roughly.

Timing belt change (engine in)..

Cam box seal replace..

Brake caliper overhaul..

Starter motor new...

Any feedback greatly appreciated.

Edited by Lex Templar

The good news is I finally drove the Esprit last week - picked it up from the mechanic and drove it to the import agent again to get our Australian equivalent of an MOT. It was everything I had imagined and I certainly had a smile in my face the whole time and while being very gentle with it, it made all the right noises.

I pick the car up this Thursday, fully registered.

So since leaving the UK, the car has had £7000 (over $10,000AU) spent on it to give you an idea of what we pay over here for work on these cars. This does include the P600 brand new tires on the rear.

Will get some new photos up next week when I have it in my hands.

Lex

Nicely done Lex. Hope to be in the same position as you in the next few months, driving the car to get cert & compliance done. I'm a distant neighbour over the ditch. Just been through getting new discs, pads and caliper overhaul kits all round, wheel bearings, radiator overhaul, the list goes on. Still need a Waterpump recon, cam belt and a bit of chassis repair off the top of my head... Good luck and hope you get to enjoy the car soon!

Edited by markt

an update on the the progress of getting my car registered. Some of you may find this interesting, some may find it shocking. The car has a serious exhaust leak and the manifold needs to come off. Engine out.

So cambelts were changed and cam box leak were done in around 30 hours, with the engine in yet the exhaust leak was not seen as an issue!?

Now engine needs to come out to pass roadworthy.

Something tells me this does not sound right.

Edited by Lex Templar

I dont know about your car but I was able to get the manifold off without removing the engine. It doesnt look possible but there was just enough room for the manifold to get clear of the studs and lift out. I'd check that the garage werent just telling you this to rack up the costs

Have just got a quote for $803 for a set of the 9 cooling hoses plus 3 hours labour. Labour sounds fine. Hoses work out to be £550. Any feedback welcomed :)

Edited by Lex Templar

Hi Lex

Did you ever recieve the DVD with your car?

Hoses seems a lot.  Look at this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1989-1999-silicone-radiator-heater-Lotus-Esprit-turbo-hose-RED-/280780678576?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item415fd525b0

No idea if they are any good but would suggest that £550 is way over the top

Hi Phil I did look at a couple of these but imagined they were not good enough. I've sent SJ an email for a quote. The TLF shop I think had sold out of the DVD and haven't had a look yet at somewhere else. Need to do it though!

Hi

I did my hoses a couple of years ago. I saved quite a bit by just using silicone hose elbows, straights or reducers where I could. Some had to be cut to size - easy to do, and in the end I only needed to purchase 4 of the Lotus hoses. You may find the ali hoses are shot around the ends when they are taken apart. What I did there was buy some ali hose joiners, cut them in half - cut off the bad bit of the Esprit ali pipe and got the ali hose joiner bit tig welded on the end. It worked and cost me about £200.00 all together, but I fitted them myself.

I did the same with Samco hoses with the black finish from Merlin Motor sport.

Buddsy

robington, I want to formally ask your permission and blessing to marry your rear wheel and wheel arch!  I'll be a good provider.

Hi

I did my hoses a couple of years ago. I saved quite a bit by just using silicone hose elbows, straights or reducers where I could. Some had to be cut to size - easy to do, and in the end I only needed to purchase 4 of the Lotus hoses. You may find the ali hoses are shot around the ends when they are taken apart. What I did there was buy some ali hose joiners, cut them in half - cut off the bad bit of the Esprit ali pipe and got the ali hose joiner bit tig welded on the end. It worked and cost me about £200.00 all together, but I fitted them myself.

Ha Ha!!   I have to warn you Phillip that she can be costly and needs constant fettling!

Have just got a quote for $803 for a set of the 9 cooling hoses plus 3 hours labour. Labour sounds fine. Hoses work out to be £550. Any feedback welcomed :)

I bought a full set of silicon hoses off ebay , I think the company was Autobahn and they were about $180 for the set. They seem to be good quality and didn't cause any problems when fitting them.  I noticed your earlier post about the cam belt and oil seal being about 30 hours work.  That seems to be over the top, I would have thought 10 hours would have seen the job done. 

Hopefully you can get it all sorted and on the road soon.  Just think, if you had done all the work yourself you could have purchased a 4 post lift and a full mechanics tool kit and still had some change left over.