free hit
counters
Newbe - Evora Info! - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
philnotts

Newbe - Evora Info!

Hello,

New to the forum and was just wanting to find some information out if possible.

Last week i went to Lotus to test driving a Evora S manual year 11 car. I thought the car was very good apart from the sound ( with sport button on) and the almost clumsy gear changes. Now I have been told that you can upgrade the gear linkages etc and also have a cat bypass added to the car to make it a lot better.

So has anyone had these two options done on a year 11 Evora s car and if so, did it make a big difference?

The dealer did have a year 12 car onsite and the sound of this car was a lot better to the one I test drove! Sitting in the car the gear changes felt better also and the interior was a bit nicer.

At the moment I know I can get a very good spec year 11 car un-reg with the two options above done for an excellent price. Or do I wait into next year and try and pick up a year 12 car when they have been out and prices have dropped a bit?!

Prices on the Evora S seem to be all over the place and the brand new cars do seem to lose a lot of money quickly.

Thank you
Phil

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The cat pipe improves the sound on a 2011 car drastically.

I'll let you know on the gear cables as mine is booked in for this next week.

Most people who have had the cables changed under warranty have reported a much improved change. In the main, these aren't being changed to MY12 cables, just the same as they had and with some small routing/fixing changes. As I understand it, the MY12 cables are hugely expensive motorsport items and in short supply.

Welcome to TLF :welcome:

I had my linkages changed on my 2011 S and it was a massive improvement, however I haven't tried a 2012 model to do a direct comparison.

I know where there is a 2011 S with very low mileage for sale, that has had the linkages changed already, if you are interested <cough>  :D

The cat pipe improves the sound on a 2011 car drastically.

I have to disagree with this, Simon do you have a standard exhaust or a sports exhaust?  I’ve got a standard exhaust on mine and after fitting the decat pipe the difference in sound on my car was minimal.  The only time I can really tell the difference is if I am doing 50 or 60 mph and I put my foot down hard, I then hear a bit more of a roar.  Other than that I was really disappointed. 

I test drove MY11 and MY12 S and NA cars with manual and IPS gearboxes earlier this year.  Aside from the interior trim and exhaust system changes there aren't many differences between MY11 and MY12 cars (and you'd be hard pressed to spot them unless you knew they were there).  Doing the decat on a MY11 S doesn't quite make it identical exhaust-wise to a MY12 S but it's pretty close in terms of sound.

I decided that whilst the MY12 S was nice, a dealer demo one at 3 months old wasn't worth the premium over a low mileage 12 month old MY11 for about £10k less (back in May).  I had the decat done on mine before I picked it up and had the gear cables done under warranty after a couple of months.   Very happy with the gear change and the noise and have had positive comments from others too, including spectators at Goodwood in September.

A couple of videos to give you an idea of how it sounds from inside with the decat:

http://youtu.be/1_j1_M_d3q0

http://youtu.be/Vr67a6mQpq0

Tom apologies I think I may have asked you earlier in the year, but do you have the sports exhaust or standard one?  I enjoyed watching the video of you go around the track then, makes me want to get out on the track with mine!

Tom, out of interest, where is your camera mounted to?

Kieron, mine was the standard factory MY11 S exhaust prior to fitting the decat.  That's similar to the exhaust fitted to the NA cars with Sports Pack, but not identical as i think it's a different grade of steel and the end tips are different.

Terry, it's a bullet camera on a simple clamp mount which I clamp to the inner edge of the passenger seat at about eye level.  That's wired to a camcorder acting as a recorder and there's also an external microphone which I fix to the bottom edge of the rear window.  The mount isn't very well isolated so you'll see there's some camera shake but it's OK on a smooth circuit.  This isn't the exact same mount but a similar idea: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-MM2-0603692100-Worktop-Clamp/dp/B0053PVH6I

I have had the cables done and they are fantastic... A big step forward under warranty! We are having the decat fitted next week with an upgraded filter so will let you know the impact!

Kieron, mine was the standard factory MY11 S exhaust prior to fitting the decat.  That's similar to the exhaust fitted to the NA cars with Sports Pack, but not identical as i think it's a different grade of steel and the end tips are different.

Thanks Tom. So we have the same exhaust and decat set up then, but yours does seem louder than mine.

We should try a real world comparison to see if what's apparent on video is really the case. My sound recording isn't very scientific!

Yeah I wasn't sure with the tunnel footage who's car was making what noise to start with, although once you're into the tunnel it's obvious that it's you car we can hear :)  If I can sort out my current lack of employment situation soon and keep hold of the car, I'd like to get to some events next year, so will hopefully be able to catch up with you then

I have had the cables done and they are fantastic... A big step forward under warranty! We are having the decat fitted next week with an upgraded filter so will let you know the impact!

Which filter is this? I know that there is a Pipercross one coming out very soon for the Evora. Be good to get your feedback on this when you have it done. 

Do you notice any lag at high RPM with your new cables? Or lag when changing gears quickly through the box?

Thank you

Phil

Thank you for the link. I have seen this link but it looks like the talk is a K&N air filter and not the new Pipercross air filter that will be coming out very soon.

Be good to hear your thoughts from standard to the new decat.

With your new cables do you have any trouble when changing through the gears quickly, or at high gears?

Thank you

Phil

With my cable change the gearbox feel was massively increased and everything was a lot lighter, no issues with high RPM changes.

I still miss 2nd-3rd very occasionally (get jammed on the gate) but I figure that is a "feature" of the box :D

I still miss 2nd-3rd very occasionally (get jammed on the gate) but I figure that is a "feature" of the box :D

I think that statement is true for any Evora driver who has ever tried fast upchanges on that particular step.  I have the new cables on old box and there was a big change in smoothness.  I have driven 3 manual cars now for many thousands of miles in each with 2 having the newer cales and every one is different.  I think much is the person setting them up as the box/cables themselves although all boxes do seem to baulk somewhere.  The other "feature" of the box is being particularly baulky when cold into 1st & 3rd.  TADTS. :D

With my cable change the gearbox feel was massively increased and everything was a lot lighter, no issues with high RPM changes.

Yup, 2nd to 3rd can be sticky. My linkages changed and very easy and swift changes now, however, occasionally i get the wobble on 2nd-3rd. Apart from that its seamless  The Radium CAI helps the sound quite a bit and the de-cat sounds OK too. However, if you want the Evora to sound exactly how you want it to sound, go get your local custom exhaust garage to make you up an exhaust according to what you have perceived in your head the car should sound like.

This is now my car with Radium and custom pipe and de-cat.

Good luck, takes some fiddling about with but I am sure you will end up with exactly what you want.

That sounds lush :D

to be fair, the exhaust is the big difference, i could have gotten away without the Radium CAI. However, you live and learn.

So for only around £160 you can get that sound, or £540 if you add in a fully delivered and customs charged Radium. I think fitting was £60 over at JCT in Leeds, so cheap as chips. I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea though. I just feel the car needed something more.

The car needs a slightly more dramatic look to it now, to match the sound. Difficult to come up with options that don't copy others and or make it look like an 18 year old has modded it. Nothing against 18 year olds, but I'm 44.

I will post some through the week, so everybody can have a listen.