free hit
counters
A 'lady' (?) in distress. Which car next? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Boots

A 'lady' (?) in distress. Which car next?

As the title suggests I would like to sup at the collective and awesome fountain of knowledge that resides in this forum to help me decide what car next.

My budget alas cannot stretch to another Lotus at the moment, besides I have scratched that 'itch'.

I would like a car that is unusual, has more than 2 seats and has a boot. Unfortunately I have been spoilt by the power and performance of the Esprit and would like something comparable.

Fickle I know but I am a female of the species.

Sue

Edited by Boots

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Subaru... first series Impreza should be cheap in UK ...and it is not the typical car for a woman of your  age ... (type)  

;)

..or Ford-Sierra with at least 150hp  ..or Cosworth (220hp) -not seen so often nowadays

there are at least several 'hot hatches' with more than 200hp in UK, but those are more or les 'common' if you would say so.

..with your type of money ..you are limited on older rear wheel driven 'future classics' with notable miles ..or those small powerfull cars from the frontwheeler class

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

I love my Honda Integra Type-S (DC5) made 2002-2006.  

200hp, 31+mpg, great 6 speed shifter, toss-able handling, can carry up to 4 people, or 2 people + 2 mountain bikes + gear in the hatch.  I added a LSD, which the Type-R has, plus 220hp.

I have coworkers in the back seats often, as well as my 3 nephews.

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

StretchedEsprit.jpg

British Ambassador to Florida, New York, Denmark and Newfoundland.  And Sweden.

how much is the Lancia-Delta Integrale in UK, these days ?

..it is powerfull, and more agile ...esoecially compared with the heavy Golf-R32

Travis, you ..as an engineer & quality worker --you should not take wheeler-dealers for serious ;)

..it is *work on a budged* for show, and most of what is shown there would not pass the work education levels over here

I looked online in the US at used cars last night and the 2000 M5 sells for about $10,000 here...  That is cheaper than a 2004 Honda Civic Si...  The V10 M5's are going for only $22k now!

Travis

Vulcan Grey 89SE

My Lotus Photo and Projects Album

Mitsi Evo VIII FQ 300 - 340 MR. Awesome, but get one not "Modified" as they are more than quick enough without.

EvoMR.jpg

You can get the Holden Vauxhall Monaro or VXR8 cheap these days too! Hows about a Mustang V8 GT with Roush suspension and supercharger?

Roush.jpg

Or a Dominator 500?

dominator.jpg

Scooby is a bit Chavvy but look at the RB320 for an awesome experience.

rb320.jpg

Or the WR1

Impreza.jpg

Hows about a nice Focus RS?

Focus.jpg

You now have my own personal shopping list

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Mazda RX8: predictable, tossable, redline-hungry, tire-smoking, spirit-of-Lotus-handling-and-lightness fun... with four seats and a boot to boot.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Mini Cooper S? I had one until recently and they are great fun. The Supercharged ones are thirsty though so I'd try and go for a later turbo version.

Mazda RX8: predictable, tossable, redline-hungry, tire-smoking, spirit-of-Lotus-handling-and-lightness fun... with four seats and a boot to boot.

I've driven a couple of these and think they're fantastic cars. However, they drink petrol AND oil apparently, and you need to ensure you get a good one without rotor tip wear.

Proud recipient of the LEF 'Car of the Month Award' February 2008

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: "Wow, what a ride!!"

Yes, they certainly are thirsty for fuel: my RX8 didn't get much better fuel economy than my Esprit V8! They don't use much oil though: I never had to add oil to mine given that I kept up with oil changes.

"At home, I have a King Sized bed. Now, I don't know any Kings, but I would imagine if one were to come over, he would be comfortable." -Mitch Hedberg

Sue must have hit a trigger here. So much discussion going on, but no new input from her.

Is she still listening? :secret:

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Yes I am here lurking amongst the testosterone fuelled posts :)

Not sure about hot hatches they are driven mostly by chavs here.

I have a car in mind and hope to test drive it this weekend.

I looked online in the US at used cars last night and the 2000 M5 sells for about $10,000 here...  That is cheaper than a 2004 Honda Civic Si...  The V10 M5's are going for only $22k now!

compare the investments you have to do on a 2000 M5 BMW, for service & repairs (parts prices)  ..with those of an 2004 Honda you mentioned.

Would guess you can't offer a top-quality and freshly propper 2000 model M5 for this sort of money as advertised?  ..can you really do this there in the US ?

Depends what your budget is, a good Honda prelude VTEC would be a good buy go for a 5th Gen Motegi edition, 4ws, 190bhp and that wonderful VTEC engine. Superb build quality. Or if you can get your hands on a Type S 217bhp. :)

I had a 4th gen it was a great car to drive. it is a 2+2 in reality.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

The problem with an RX-8 in the UK is it costs an arm and a leg to tax it and that is now before the green eyed monsters get any more zealous. It puts out the same CO due to the way calculated as an AMG 6.5 Ltr I was looking at.  It totally put one of my sons off it.

He then went and bought a Civic Type-R GT and I am really impressed with that.  Bullet proof, cheap(ish) to run, goes like clappers when revved into VTEC zone but quite easy drive when not. Gets 30+ mpg on long runs at 80+ and is like a Tardis inside.  I am REALLY imprerssed with the packaging there and I like the quirky dash and it has all the toys.  Also best car seats I have sat in, in a main stream manufacturers car.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

Well went to a garage to see a car. Unfortunately couldn't get a test drive and it wasn't the exact model I want.

The car I went to see is a BMW 840.

I await your opinions and the inevitable German leg pulling so I will start,

"Fur you Tommy Atkins zee var ist over!!!"

No leg pulling here, I like the look of those, similar styling as the M1 but in a slightly more practical form.

OOOOO Just realised who styled it. Now sue, is that by chance or design?

Take it from a Germany, but not a Bavarian. A BMW 840 ist about as big as it is useless. There are so many cars around for that kind of money, and but the 840 would be last on my list.

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

Not for me Tommy boy , not for me !  ;)

Have you ever seen this funny movie with Alicia Silverstone *Excess Baggage* (Ärger im Gepäck)  ?

She is in the boot of her own 8-series, and gets kidnapped ..but there is enough space for a attractive young girl with long legs and a nice body. What meant from my point of view the boot must be big enough, just like in the old Mafia films  ..so I thought "this car is cool, fast & practical to own ! "

..with other words, my V8 Esprit was actually planned to be a BMW-840 manual shift, with the 4.4 L (if possible the later version)

Our *Schwacke list* told me that in my specification/model year and with the miles required it would have been the sum of around 17k € there in 2002 , as I  searched for this kind of car.

(so what I wanted without specification on brand was actually a car with no notable image, therefore relatively cheap to buy, two or 2+2 seats, rear wheel driven, manual box, 6 cylinder or V8, quadcam four valves, as much as possible in factory order without add-ons by first owner  ..and at least a notable boot ! 

-but KBA information showed up with no notable owner numbers for this model in the late production period. So after a lot of dealer offers for only the heavy V12, in auto & manual option, I simply gave up 

..and by luck there was an other interesting strange car in focus in 2002  -for around doubled money, but still possible to pay for with some family help.  

now it's 90.000km and many many moons  later ..and I'm still here with the Esprit  :D

*so Sue, to make a long story short ..the 8-series is heavy and elegant, and not the nimble rattling Esprit that you used to know -but if there is something to do for John, no worries ..I have a lot of workshop-stuff / files data here on the HDD and know a good service-data link for you.

Edited by Günter