free hit
counters
NCT Tyre replacements - recommendations - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisJ

NCT Tyre replacements - recommendations

I'm going to replace the NCTs on my 82 Esprit Turbo, and am looking for recommendations of makes and suppliers. I'm thinking of Vredestein Sportrac 3 225/60s & 195/60s, but have no experience of them, or any other possibilities.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I have used Vredesteins wherever possible for the last 14 years, though for the family cars rather than the Esprit (I would have fitted them if the correct sizes had been available). The Sportrac 2 was actually superior to the 3 IMHO, but they are excellent general purpose tyres and good in the snow too.

I went for the Vredesteins earlier this year on my 81 Esprit Turbo and am very happy with them. Theres a thread on here where I posted up some pictures. If I find it I will put in a link.

I have Continentals on mine - really good - great grip, look traditional enough to suit the car and nice and smooth ride.... 

If you compromise on the speed index and go for V-rated tires there are some options out there.

Go for modern technology, as grip and tire wear has improved a lot during the years.

Vredestein ordered, waiting for the delivery to GST

The Vredesteins are on and they look good. Feel OK too, but it's so long ago that I drove on NCTs, I can't tell the difference.

I got them from pneus online, ordered last Monday lunchtime, arrived at GST Thursday late afternoon.

I've now had the Vredestein Sportrac 3 225/60 & 195/60s on the car for a year now, and they are great.

What is even better, the rears have filled out to 235s :happy dance:

What pressure are you running front and rear?

23/25 - although I'll double check in the morning as I had the wheels refurbished so it is whatever Gerald redid them as.

When I fitted the Sportrac 3 tyres to my 82 turbo, I phone Vredestein's technical department and they recommended using higher pressures than the original Lotus ones ... to stabilise the tyre walls. Were I anywhere near my workshop, I could tell you what I'm currently running....but they're definitely more than 23/25.

Edited to add......referring back to what I said on the subject in 2012, I seem to be running 28/32psi front/rear. Went nicely on the European trip last October.

Edited by molemot

Apparently Pirelli has started making these relative new technology tires:

P7 235/60 R15 100W

It's got to be 235's for me, I'm watching with interest.

Any chance Goodyear might do another run?

Jonny

No chance we've been down this route many times before. As I recall they needed a potential market of a stupidly high number (30k+) to even think about it. There was also talk of the moulds having been thrown away but I think that was just a rumour.

One of my work colleagues is the co-owner of Vintage Tyres and he asked them to see if Goodyear might consider doing something  but the answer was a firm no. 

What a shame, a missed opportunity too given that we'd all be proudly painting their name on the sidewalls for all to see.

Do you think an online petition might help? We couldn't get them 30,000 orders but 30,000 signatures is a bit more plausible.

Otherwise it looks like Pirelli do a nice, useable set of rears but no match for the fronts.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUMMER-TYRE-Pirelli-P-600-235-60-R15-98W-BSW-/121279194028

Pirelli do a whole load of P6s in 195/60 R15 but none appear to be a good match for the rears.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres-195-60-15/?m=2&ty=T

thought lotus now recommend 225 60 

Can you get an MOT if the speed rating is below the car's max speed?   (I use W rated P600s)  

(re lotuseaters post above)

Edited by 910Esprit

Im sure you could. I mean the limit in the UK is 70mph so you cant ever exceed that on a UK road. Is the MOT a test to make sure a car is fit for use on the public highway? So max possible speed is irrelevant isnt it?

Buddsy

I had to have a lower speed rating on my S1 tyres.  There was absolutely no problem with the MOT, I was advised to make sure the insurance company knew.  I have it on classic car limited mileage insurance and when I spoke to them they said this was very common and no problem at all.

I hope this helps.

Alec

Hmmm interesting.  I suppose that's probably correct from a UK perspective, but as Alec points out there must be insurance implications.  If I had a blowout on a German Autobahn at a steady 150mph, I suspect I would get nada if I was on tyres inadequately rated?   

Yes you maybe right. That said my I would be more comfortable doing 150mph on a newer lower rated tyre than my Pirellis which are correctly rated...but at least 20 years old!

I dunno. All I know is I got to change my tyres soon and have thought I would do what ChrisJ has said.

Buddsy

I went for the Pirelli P600 on the rear with P6s on the front.

If they did produce the P600 in the correct size and rating for the front I would buy it.

Apparently Pirelli has started making these relative new technology tires:

P7 235/60 R15 100W

We had the P7 on our Merc in 225/55R16, and didn't really like them. Now running Uniroyal Rain Expert2 and they're much better allround. If you only take the Esprit out in the sun, I guess the P7 would be OK.