free hit
counters
Need to revive my V8! - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
mrtzmd

Need to revive my V8!

Hello Everyone, I am new to the forum. I have an 2001 with a high torque chip. The car has been sitting for 6 months with a battery tender. I found that the tender has failed somehow and the car is dead. The alarm light is off. I assume the battery is completely discharged. How should I proceed to restart the car? Recharge the dead battery with the terminal cables (ECU) attached or remove the cable terminals and recharge the battery? I understand the ECU's are sensitive. Please help. Mauricio

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

from my point of view I simply would open the tailgate, fit the charger ( one that works actually..)  ..and recharge.

if you undo the ECM-main harness connector, and refit it later on ..with a full charged battery in the system -you would force current peaks  -so for me there is no sence to undo the harness connector

Disconnect the batter cables, charge it up and then reconnect the cables

why the battery cables, he wrote about the ECM-cables (so the ECM connector ?)

..anyway -if the batery is dead there is no reason why you not simply could recharge it, without touching anything -just fit the charger cables to the battery and that's it

Here I go again, done this so many times..Pass the Word...... Flat Esprit batteries, my own back ground was looking after Aircraft batteries at one time, inmy working life...I was a qualified Auto Spark.  

1/ you should never ever fit jump cables to a Dead flat battery and start the car.

2/ best advice always keep any V8 with a thatham one alarm on a trickle charge, this alarm system is good but old school and takes power to make it work, hence 10-14 days..at best flat battery.

3/ If you need to disconnect the battery or the Ecm unit, it will re learn the fuel dna on it's own.   

4/ if you have a battery that is less than 10.98v it's deemed flat, recharge as normal 4amps fine.

5/ If your battery is dead flat which is well below 10.98v ( I have rescued batteries from 0-5v ) treat like you would a person in the sarah with out water, just a bit at a time (very very low for a minutes or so off for 15 etc) charging, Best to TRICKLE as low as possible just at millamps, it may take a week, but if your lucky the battery will be ok.

6/ mistreating a car/bike/boat etc battery with no thought you will bend the plates, then they will break up, fill the bottom up and short out cells. It may be months after you jump started it..be warned.              Got the VC to prove that

RobC ..how do you start the car with the other car parked up just next to you -if jumper cables are not apropreate .

..is there a magic way to get the energy in the other wiring system, without using cables on the engine block and positive terminal ??

..I have started various cars this way, the Esprit as well as trucks and vans an my own passenger cars ..with use of an other (running) engine or with a mobile 'battery-pack'    ..that's at least what it is made for.

*on point 2)

..the additional note is -this odd charging system for the NiCd accu backup there in the siren[5370], as the security system in the car tries to recharge it even if it is flat [unusable flat] or suffered from one of those bad effects old NiCd accu systems are known for