free hit
counters
N/A supercharger conversion. - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Trevsked

N/A supercharger conversion.

Anybody know what's involved in a conversion, or even if it's possible/available. What about cost? Any aftermarket companies? Links would be good too.

Trevor.

Had a quick search through and not blown away with what is available compared with simply upgrading to an S. Hmmm, maybe a suspension upgrade. Anybody tried Ohlins, I assume they are available. Any suggestions for companies to make enquiries to?

Trevor.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Factory will do it as one of the GTN upgrade options:

http://evorainfo.net/FileStore/PDFs/Brochures/EVORA%20GTN%20BROCHURE%20(SinglePages).pdf

Ohlins also listed in the same brochure.

There's a thread over on LotusTalk about an NA to S conversion too:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/supercharging-my-na-evora-116587/

Tom,

Thanks for the link. I think I'll make enquiries about the Ohlins as that S/C conversion is probably more than the change to an S and invalidates the warranty. I wonder if KW do something too.

Trevor.

Wilbers suspension can be purchased through MotoConcept, JRZ through KomoTec. Check out their homepages. I'm quite happy with standard suspension...

Factory will do it as one of the GTN upgrade options:

http://evorainfo.net/FileStore/PDFs/Brochures/EVORA%20GTN%20BROCHURE%20(SinglePages).pdf

Ohlins also listed in the same brochure.

There's a thread over on LotusTalk about an NA to S conversion too:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/supercharging-my-na-evora-116587/

The lotus talk link is good.  Be aware the cost of the entire system with fitment AND radium intake was around 15K US.  He blew up the motor because his MAF had started to get weird readings and with the custom KOMOtec tune it blew the motor.  Charge cooling is preferable when running a SC but that would add quite a bit of cost to the system (about 5K)

Why not tune up what you've got?  Regarding the Ohlins..  I spoke to an Ohlins tech at SEMA a couple of years ago and he had been developing the Evora dampers.  He said there was an appreciable difference in control and feel with the Ohlins product as compared to stock.  Take off a 150kG off the car in the right places and you've got a DD that is second to none.

Bentzion,

Thanks for the info. What's a DD (daily driver)? Having slept on it I think perhaps an uprated anti roll bar would be a good start too. I'm not disappointed with the ride and handling on the road but on track there is a little too much body roll and updating this shouldn't affect the road ride. Perhaps there are adjustable ARB's out there. I'll look into both this and the Ohlins on Monday. As for the SC conversion I think it's far too expensive compared to simply changing to an S that will be in warranty. Also from what I've seen of the tuning parts on offer there appears to be al lot of expense for little benefit, although I've not seen any dyno figures for 2bular or Komotec headers. However I can see merit in tuning an N/A if it's possible to get decent gains at a reasonable cost as the weight saving over an S is considerable. I'll start a new thread for this as I'm getting OT on my own :-)

Trevor.

The Evora S has a strengthened rear anti-roll bar. You could start there.

I wondered about that, good idea.

Trevor.

You might also want to look at the Evora GTN brochure: http://db.tt/rbuIcC8c

Edited by TBD

PB Racing in Italy developed a supercharger kit but I believe Lotus had words as they're an official dealer. They may know someone who can supply the parts for a local fit? Have Nitron developed an Evora suspension kit? The small platform stuff they do is very well thought of on track.

Put a strict budget together along with what is the ultimate goal.   You have manufactured parts at a set cost you can be realistic because it's all plug and play.  You can contact Lotus and ask about the effect the dampers will have on the ride..heck, you can even contact Ohlins and they can give you information as they did a lot of testing.  Good Luck!

Have seen the OEM supercharger kit at my dealer. It's almost €16k, pus another €4k for oil coolers. Better trade in the N/A and get a factory built S!

............... and then there is the Lotus kit, part number and all!  See page 18 of the new version of the brochure.

http://issuu.com/lotuscars/docs/racing_brochure

So did anyone find out the price of the Lotus supercharger kit?

If kits cost more than £6k fitted then the best bet is to trade my NA in for an S. Now I just need to find an Ice White one so the missus doesn't realise that I've upgraded! I have a private plate so she'll never notice the difference!

• Like 2

So did anyone find out the price of the Lotus supercharger kit?

If kits cost more than £6k fitted then the best bet is to trade my NA in for an S. Now I just need to find an Ice White one so the missus doesn't realise that I've upgraded! I have a private plate so she'll never notice the difference!

When I looked I think it was £5.5k for the kit so decided it was better to upgrade the whole car rather than have a converted car with a possibility of it being worth less.

Trevor.

Just buy the S leave the NA for us to buy .

When I looked I think it was £5.5k for the kit so decided it was better to upgrade the whole car rather than have a converted car with a possibility of it being worth less.

Trevor.

IMHO you will seriously devalue the car by having it upgraded - it will be probably be a lot more expensive to insure than a standard S as it will be considered modified. Whatever you'd save at this end, you'd lose at resale time, because IMHO while there are 'real' Evora S's out there, why would anyone pay the same price for a 'hacked together' one?

That said, if you're happy to keep the car until it's worth too little for anyone to care, i'd go the full hog and get it boosted with a shed load more power than a stock S. A Rotrex + chargecooler + standalone ECU would be a fun project, and 350BHP from a 3.5L engine is pretty tame - 500 is a good start ;)

• Like 1

Ported heads+cams+map+headers+cai+tune should yield about 340bhp and be about 100kg lighter:)

A Rotrex C38-81 weighs about 6kg and has enough flow for about 600BHP I don't really think there's a technical reason not to boost an Evora but IMHO the market for ones with serious engine mods is going to be tiny when you come to sell on.