free hit
counters
Fans fail - auto electrician in London? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
skiing

Fans fail - auto electrician in London?

Hi all, fans just stopped working last night. Aa man worked on it for ages and concluded that the wiring was all mixed up? The otter switch seems fine. He wired a jumper cable from one bit of the relay to another with a fuse so they run all the time. It is all rather complex so does anyone know of a good auto electrician in London which I can call out hopefully today to have a look?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If they were working, then the wiring must be OK in concept...it isn't going to change overnight, but can suffer from broken wires, poor connections and bad earths. AA types aren't going to understand the earthing arrangements on a Lotus, they tend to be weird...and the diagrams don't help much! Do the fans work if the connections to the otter switch are connected together? That's the first thing. If they do, then it will be the Otter switch that is the cause. Test it by draining the system, taking it out, connecting a meter across it set to show continuity and then boil the thing in a saucepan ( but be careful about the wife/girlfriend) When it gets hot it should turn ON. Have you tried replacing the relay, they do fail occasionally, I have had one go. On some models there is a fuse fitted to the relay itself...that can be troublesome too...I replaced mine with a normal relay and it's been fine for decades since. As for auto electricians...no recent knowledge I'm afraid; there used to be a chap in Ham who I know rewired a chum's MGB...good luck!!

Well I fiddled with the relays, contact cleaner etc. and finally found two little ones in the front left of the front compartment - next to the headlamp relays, fiddled with those and the fans starting working again - I also cleaned up the earths where I could - so one of these things has been successful... hurrah! 

Well done...these sort of failures are often due to corroded contacts, connectors or earth points.Sometimes the earth wire can fracture, too. A bit of preventative maintenance around those two relays is definitely a good idea, things work better without the corrosion which will have built upover the decades!! Award yourself a suitable libation....

I did have a suitable libation.... I think I am going to start a complete check / repair / replace on electrical items over the next few months - quite a few of the relays look pretty ancient...