free hit
counters
More power and best ways to get it from an Evora NA? - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

More power and best ways to get it from an Evora NA?

I just put a call in to TDI who I thought would be the people in the know regarding a remap but sadly they had no knowledge in that area. Can the ECU be remapped as standard? I'm not sure the headers are that much of a huge job once you get going mad doubt they would be as frustrating as an Esprit due to age.

Trevor.

I'll get around to it at some point.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The forum belongs to me, I make up the rules. Back on topic or it gets locked, the people who have contributed to it are getting no value from any of these recent posts. End of story.

Gents, with the greatest of respect I did not re-open this thread to enable any form of a war of words or anything simikar between suppliers. I re-opened it because I, and I suspect many others too, a

Chav.

Posted Images

British Racing Group (which offers the KoldFire tune) has an "ECU Flash to Original Spec" for the Elise/Exige.  I'd assume that could also be done for the Evora as well.

http://shop.britishracinggroup.com/Engine-Tuning_c23.htm

As for a tune with the Radium intake, please see TurboPhil's post #44.  The following is only a partial excerpt:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/performance-mods-121949/index3.html

We've tuned quite a number of Evoras and work closely with a few select shops that, like us, also have data logging equipment that they use on the rolling road. We're all finding the same thing. We've had NA and S cars on the dyno and data logged back to back changes. There's no theory. MAF readings varying simply by rotating the filter, erratic MAF numbers that don't make sense when small changes are made to the exhaust or even the weather, two identical Evoras fiticon1.png with the CAI having WOT MAF numbers differ by more than 20%, etc. This stuff just doesn't happen with a proper intake design that is correctly metering air.

There's nothing in it for me for the CAI to not work or to upset the makers of the part. I happen to like many of their parts. They have nice presentation and they seem to go the extra mile when thinking through some of the design aspects. They're the first company to come about that has my interest when they announce products. My hat is off to them! We have a good relationship, and I'm sure that's not being helped with my posting this summary of the data. I made the post because of things we KNOW about it and unfortunately those things aren't great. They can be fixed though. Using a honeycomb screen is probably NOT what needs to be done. A blade or two would likely be sufficient. Maybe for "problem cars" there could be a revision? We can tune around a larger MAF ID, but we cannot tune around erratic airflow (turbulent, etc). I'd almost (but not quite!wink.gif) bet the IPS and S cars would be OK with a simple straightener revision, FWIW... I have NOT tested such a concept, but it would stand to good reason that controlling the air would cure most ills here.

For now though, when folks ask us to tune the car and it has that intake on it, anymore I have to tell them to take it off, as the car is "untunable" with it... As for the IPS cars and S cars, again, read my first post and tread lightly. I don NOT know of NA cars that have failed with it. Just S and IPS for obvious reasons.

In regards to 2bular's volume.  I'm not too sure how loud the 2bular set up is.  I was concerned about noise levels as well.  I did e-mail Jim and he did mention that he may be offering a more quieter silencer in the near future.

-----Original Message-----
To: Allan Gibbs

Sent: Mon, Dec 24, 2012 2:02 pm
Subject: Re: N/A Evora 2Bular Exhaust compared to Larini (Volume)

Hi Allan!  I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to answer your last question! Demand for the 2zz-ge stuff has been crazy this past few months and Evora has taken a back seat, I'm afraid.

I have no idea on comparison of the 2bular to the Larini.

I have been playing with the exhaust valve system for the S this week-end and having an N/A car in at the same time, we've found a vacuum source for a valve on the N/A motor, so it looks like we'll have a valved system on that car too.

Whatever you do, you need to ditch the OEM silencer - it's a boat anchor and weighs even more. There's a surprising amount of room in the exhaust bay and I know we can fit one of our H1 systems (with the noise-cancelling chamber) for owners looking for a "quiet" exhaust note.

Let me have some time over the holidays and I'll be able to answer your question more thoroughly.

All the Best, a good Christmas to you and yours,

Jim Valentine

I did find these two videos of an Evora with the Radium, 2Bular headers down pipe and sports cat.  I also noticed his/her "Check Engine" light is on:

Edited by Allan Gibbs

Had a read through that and was interesting stuff which made sense to me. The dyno day at TDI will be interesting.

Trevor.

Yes, I'm looking forward to getting my NA with Radium CAI and Sports silencer on to the TDI precision measuring kit in the hands of established experts.  Not only for an accurate torque and power assessment (I hope to reveal all results!) but also hopefully to explore the mixture strength question and its stability that has been called into question in some quarters. (Though it seems possibly to be a problem only when further tuning is added.)  I believe that TDI are in a position to know something of that but what, and what can be said, remains to be seen.

I'm rather surprised to be the only Radium fitted NA so far signed up; a pity that as - we have already discussed on some other thread - it is possible that the orientation of the asymetric filter on the intake tube is significant for the precision of the airflow and the metering and a comparison would be interesting. (Mine is now marked!)  Is anyone else, with the same setup, game?  Data from two - or more - would carry so much more information.

I've been meaning to ask, has anyone felt they've lost some low end torque with the Radium over the stock intake? 

I've had one fitted about three weeks ago and, while I'm certain it's making much more power up top, I'm not sure if I've lost some torque below 3,000 rpm.   I had my local dealer do the Radium install and a week later brought the car back to them to re-check their work.  They stated the air-fuel readings are in at an acceptable and normal range.  They didn't think I lost any torque but without doubt believe the Evora has much more power at the top end.

On a side note, I've ordered a Larini slash tip exhaust and resonator delete which should arrive by the end of January (as its currently out of stock).  Once fitted, I will have my Evora dyno tested to see what the final results of my modifications will be.   I should have had a baseline done.....but I suppose that's water under the bridge at this point.  I'm expecting it to be similar to the test car that Radium had.

Edited by Allan Gibbs

Of course, there is only one other special Evora out there as far as I know. Unless anyone knows different? I am tempted as its an S and different but don't like the yellow so is a concern as I would gave to change a few things. I also considered the Lotus S/C conversion which looks good value actually but concerned about the move from originality although there is an argument that these are official Lotus parts so......

Trevor.

Crossed wires. Indeed yours is a special but I meant there are no other specials out there for sale at the moment. I would have loved to have bought one of the black GP Edition cars, one is at Goodwood but I don't know where the other two are.

Trevor.

It's the Freddie Mercury tribute car that was auctioned for charity and bought buy Chris Evans. It's a 2012 S with by far the best paint I have seen on any Evora and as good if not better than any other car I have seen. The interior trim however is not to everyone's taste and I would have to change that (most of the dominant yellow would go) but seeing past that it's very nice. 2k miles on the clock and £58k, pretty mint as you would hope.

Trevor.

Trevor, speak to James MacNaughton at Goodwood about their black & gold S. The other two sold I think to private buyers during last year so unlikely to come back on the market just yet.

I don't know but I think they've had it about a year now and if you approached them you might prompt them to consider selling. I'm not sure if it's owned by Goodwood or on loan from Lotus. It's been used in anger on track a few times so worth asking James about the history.

I think it's on loan from Lotus... The Freddie Mercury car was initially own for 78k elsewhere with delivery miles at a Ferrari / Maserati dealer. I thought Chris Evans may have traded it in... He specced it so was strange it was sold so quickly without being driven. Heard it may have been a tax wheeze or that he had no room in the garage!! Either way...

"Simplify, then add lightness”

Yes it's my understanding that the GP car at Goodwood has possibly been abused and certainly some time ago when I saw it in the paddock there at a breakfast meet, it looked unloved and missing all the centre caps. If it was on loan then that would explain the lack of care.

Trevor

The centre caps fall out when the wheels get hot, so it's a measure of how hard it has been pushed on track. I've not lost any yet so clearly need to try harder!

Yes I've looked at that and think its a good price with all that's included, which is quite a lot. Trouble is you are then down to 15mpg and heavier along with quite a departure from the factory car you bought. My aim would be circa 300hp in a light car rather than 345 in a heavier thirstier one. This is achievable with the 2bular headers/exhaust package plus a remap which I estimate at £3k for the 2bular fitted and another £1k for the remap. Problem is right there, £4k for 30hp.

Trevor.

On the bright side, if you're looking at 300hp rear wheel, that would make your modified Evora about the same as an unmodified  Evora S with less weight.   345 hp x .13 drive train loss = 300 at the rear wheel.  13% is probably a conservative figure as well.

That said, if you traded up to an Evora S (assuming you could do so without much of financial loss), the modifications on the S would get you close to 400hp at the crank and with the S' upgraded suspension.

Edited by Allan Gibbs

I was looking towards 300 flywheel and thought that would be fairly close power to weight as the S. 300rwhp as far as I know would require quite a Lot of work a therefore lots more expense in which case it makes more sense to me to simply buy an S. the basis of the thread was asking best ways to get more power from an N/A and I should have qualified that with reasonable cost.

Trevor.