free hit
counters
More power and best ways to get it from an Evora NA? - Page 5 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

More power and best ways to get it from an Evora NA?

my Evora NA launch edition is equiped since 5 years with the Komotec .

headers ,down pipe, the original final cat is kept with modified lambda bosses to fit sensors ,final Komotec muffler ,KN air filter , remap.

the sound is much louder but nicer than the original OEM .

i have not measured the power output but it is noticeable .

the only problem i had was a lambda sensor cable melt because of a routing too close of the exhaust pipe.the Komotec support to find the issue was top .

since this point has been corrected , everything is fine.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Thanks for posting Scarrion and good to know that your Komotec NA kit was a worthwhile investment. Would be good if at some point you did get a dyno run as I suspect you are now above 300bhp so should be good gains to be seen,

This is still very much an option for me, as it would potentially save a 1,000 mile round trip to get the re-mapping done as a believe the Komotec remap is provided as part of the upgrade kit.

However, I do still hanker after some handmade stainless 2bular bells!

Interestingly though, out today with the LEGS boys (and girls) in Scotland and for the second outing, the Elise guy behind was saying what a great noise my car was making - so it seems the decat pipe and Lotus Sport Exhaust would be a good upgrade for anyone looking to beef up the noise. It certainly pops, gurgles and farts away on the over run in 3rd and down into 2nd. It's almost as infectious to drive at 25 mph in 2nd through town as it is a lot faster through the lanes   :)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Here is what I did to increase power and overall driving strength in a Lotus Evora NA.  Basically, what you use to be third gear in my manual Evora, is now SECOND gear.  The car gets to almost 100 MPH in third gear, and does it with strength. Six speed manual transmission. More to come.  

Details in the Blog I just posted here, including product providers:

http://johnhopebryant.com/2015/08/build-mansory-evora.html

Details in the Blog I just posted here, including product providers:

http://johnhopebryant.com/2015/08/build-mansory-evora.html

Nice car, John. And nice blog.

But I think that you need to pay attention to some of the details:

"The cars all to this day seem to live up to Colin Thompson’s original vision; light weight, nimble, low to the ground, quick, a drivers’s car, and for the most part, track or race ready. And unfortunately, this is also true: Colin Thompson only wanted to sell enough cars to allow him to race."

;)

Let me know what (precisely) I got wrong.  Colin Thompson himself let it be known that he was mostly interested in car RACING, not car manufacturing (for mass appeal sales).  

Today, the challenge with Lotus is NOT the cars, per se (my Evora, as an example, is fantastic and from 40-125MPH nothing much stays with me on the highway), but the company itself.  Respectfully, it just has not been managed all that well.  This is not a criticism. It is simply an 'is.'  If there something else you think I missed, or got wrong, let me know. Happy to correct.

Hope the specs of the car help with this thread (a little bit). I know others have done much more.

Best,

:huh:

Really? Go read the initials on all the Lotus badges on your car mate! They're the intials of the founder who certainly isn't called Colin Thompson! 1000 hail Mary's for you....

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Ha ha ha!!!  YES!!! Your 100% right!  At least I got the link to his bio correct   :)  That's what I get for multi-tasking while writing (smile again).    I fixed it.  

Thanks for the catch Bibs, and sorry to waste two comments on this silly catch.  In any regard, my effort to pay respect to both his passion for Lotus automobiles, and the success of GT cars in racing.  Lotus GT cars in the spirit of the ones noted in the above thread.  

"No good deed -- shall go unpunished."  

Make a great week all.  

:thumbsup:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Andy, you have (had) a K&N panel filter too, although it didn't make as much difference to the sounds as previous K&N did to 4cyl versions.

Thanks Keith - I do no remember seeing a receipt for the K&N filter in the file of documents with the car - I wonder if it is still on the car?  I guess I'll have to find out how to open the filter cover to check it!  Ooooh, hope I don't break a nail or get oil under my nails!   hahahaha....

Can I get critical injury / accidental injury insurance for these sort of technical jobs?    :construction:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Thanks for posting JHB and for providing the link and info, I certainly do love the Mansory front end, but have decided that for me the GT4 rear wing is too much, I think it make the back look too top heavy and prefer the original Lotus design. Having said that, I was behing Bingoking in his GTE yesterday, and with the much larger rear end the GT4 spoiler does look perfect - beautiful in fact with its fine herringbone carbon weave  :)

Interesting that you got full exhaust system (headers etc) AND the CAI - heard a few stories that the ECU can struggle with both but I am assuming you have had the ECU remapped?

Anytime you can get some Dyno figures would be appreciated. I get the feeling that as NA's are getting older - 4 and 5 years now and well out of warranty that we will start to see people in Europe "catching" up with some of the tuning that seems to have been popular and readily available in the US.

Keep driving and smiling   :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I think the history is slightly more complicated than the 'Chapman only wanted to built racing cars' statement.

From what I've read he was indeed mostly interested in the racing side of business, but the cars kind of grew with his life becoming more like a family life.

People are saying he built larger cars as it would fit his (family car) use which would be the main reason for the Eclat etc.

Not sure if this is true as everything will be hear say but I can see the point there.

Have you looked on the Toyota forums to see what people are doing to 2GR's? It should give you an idea of what's available in terms of gains and the ECU stuff might be transferable even if the intake/exhaust stuff isn't.

I'm sure I'll take a lot of flack for saying this but the Lotus community seems to spend a load more money getting far less power out of their Toyota lumps.

If you're brave you can get 400+ BHP out of a 1.8L 2ZZGE with a Rotrex - 500 from 3.5L and 2 extra cylinders doesn't seem crazy to me.

Enjoyed reading this thread especially as I have the na evora with a standard exhaust/ air intake system.

Would like to find someone who is selling a used tubular/ Larini or even sports box with a valve to create more sound as well as power, for me the car is way to quite and would like the option of dual sound control. If I also added the CAI system will this give a more throaty sound from the intake as well?

If I was adding high flow cats, box and cai would this affect any air flow sensors and is a remap still required.

Grab yourself a valved backbox and decat pipe from Jim (2bular) and you'll instantly have the power and noise you're after. It transforms the car and puts it on par with Evora 400 noises (confirmed by Lotus dealership lads :P)

Cai will add a bit of sound, but if you have the exhaust, I cant imagine it would add all that much - you probably wouldnt be able to hear it truth be told! You will however get a bit of a sharper throttle response, along with a few extra hp.

You dont need a remap if you use the BOE CAI, but if you use a Radium you will most likely have EML issues without one. That said, you can also remap with the BOE CAI for even greater gains. 

A BOE CAI is the next thing on my list. :) 

• Like 1

Sounds like just box and decat pipes to me, obviously kalli says a bit more go with cai , I remember doing the cai on my 350z at first you could really hear the air wishing I to it but when I fitted the sports exhaust you could not hear it, then I found out that the 350z was actually better with the newer stock air intake so reverted back to stock.

yep.....

sorry Id lumped manifold, cat removal and exhaust all into 'exhaust'

intake is the CAI (as it seems this is the only one available)

forgot about a remap to sort all the new stuff out......

I personally wouldn't do SC or Turbo......just on the basis of the fact that there is already an 'S' available......

but that's just me...........

(oh....or the stripe........ :huh: ........)

good work tho'........excellent read......

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

Just had a chat with Jim at 2ubular, very helpful and explained the options he does, I will be going for the non valved sport box, not sure about the extra for titanium tips but they look great, also an easy to fit compared to the valved option.

Anyone who has the non valved version?

I dont think he does any forum discounts either?

His system is probably the most economical.

Exhaust

Intake

Manifolds

Cat removal

Remap/Flashtune

Supercharger bolt-on

Turbo bolt-on

Go-Faster Stripe

Sounds to me like an expensive way of making less power than an S unless you do go for boost...

A Rotrex supercharger is about the size of an a/c compressor and £1500...

You would definitely need a remap for boost, but really if you're making decent airflow changes with your proposed exhaust and intake mods, I would suspect that you'd benefit from a remap if you want to make the best power you can and keep OEM driveability.

But as others have said, if you want a faster Evora, it might be cheaper to buy an S - especially as your mods mean your insurer needs informing and you may hurt the resale value (if you care).