free hit
counters
esprit v8 exhaust options - Induction/Turbo/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Alex Carter

esprit v8 exhaust options

please post details of your systems silencers cats blah blah if you have vids with sound even better trying to decide what id like with mine i have standard cats and the little trim out lets no back box its sounds good but the cats choke the flow of the engine so i was thinking decats and back box but ive been told it sounds pants way to loud .so what do you have peeps ?????

IMG_1392.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

factory-original cat housings on both sides ..fitted internaly with aftermarket 200cell inserts -factory exhaust (not the sport one) ..with some internal mods :D  (pussycat style ..as it was named)

That's what I run ..and appart from the mass of steel there it is right for me.

But my warning is:

What ever you do -as soon as you refit a real exhaust/silencer there on te back, use the chance to recreate the older 4 pot 'gearbox mount' system of exhaust. As all the exhaust-wheight and load from engine movement in the stock layout on the V8 is only supported by the resin fibre rear body !!   ..that sounds like a big mistake from my impression, as with an gearbox mount it would react indepentantly to the rear body and dont cause stress loads there in the fibre.

I have 200 cell cats and straight through centre exit pipes.

Nowhere near as loud as the TVR though but it does have a distinctive raspy bellow if that makes sense.

I think that the turbos alone absorb a reasonable amount of noise.

Alex

I'm with Pete (Redshift). 200 sports cats and centre exit exhaust.

Looks great (underneath and behind),sounds great,saves weight and passes an MOT.Produces more power too by all accounts.

Before you buy make sure you check out PNM engineering from whom I bought mine 12 month ago. Good value. I had to fettle a little and polish the stainless for the correct finish but well worth it.

Mark

If I had a different V8 thats the option I would go for too.

Trevor.

Hi all,

Just to clarify, the Esprit Performance sports cats and centre exit exhaust and PNM's are made from the same company except that Esprit Performance has the welds dressed better included in the price. I know this because it was my car used for the jigging of both and I used had strong connections with both. I only deal with North West Lotus now who own Esprit Performance.

On Esprit Performance site, there is a video (not very good one) but at least it something for you to listen to.

Regards,

David Walters

Agreed David and indeed it was your great posts that I kept on referring to re the exhausts, that made up my mind to go down the 200 cell/centre exit route.

But...

Alex,if you go down the route of those exhausts then get a quote from both companies. I did!

Davis is far more knowledgeable than me and has the edge in seeing both systems, but believe me fettling and polishing must close the gap in terms of finished products.

Mark

the price of 200 cell cats is a bit much 850 so i think ill buy the cat part and the de cat pipes and just weld my own for half the price

the price of 200 cell cats is a bit much 850 so i think ill buy the cat part and the de cat pipes and just weld my own for half the price

thats exectly what i did and after selling my original cats i managed to recoup a fair amount of the outlay :thumbsup:

IMG362.jpg

IMG361.jpg

IMG363.jpg

Edited by steve930

That's another option but make sure you get the right sized cat and also that you use stainless welding rods. Then there's the time and effort which no one seems to cost in. If you do have time on your hands then I recommend buying the CAT bypass pipes from PNM as they are cheap as chips and stainless steel. As for centre exit exhaust, the Lotus original has a balancing pipe which has been taken out of both Esprit Performance and PNN systems because it used to split. I had a couple of prototypes fitted to my car which are still in circulation. You could make these yourself if making the cats up by using off the shelf bends and straights and weld then together.IMG_0115-1.jpg

thats great into where did you get your bits from steve at what cost and im going to stay with the tail pipes on the out side i think the center ones change the appearance to much 

i got the bypass pipes from n.w. lotus ie formerly superdave.  I think they were about £200.  The cats are 200cell stainless cores, sourced from powerflow @ approx £ 60.00 each.

I have the centre exit exhaust, its one of the early ones made for superdave with the link pipe.  I purchased it 2nd hand from Mike Sekinger he had it on one of his projects.

Its only my personal opinion but i think the centre exit gives the best sound with a slightly offbeat burble at idle & it howls quite well at high revs.  My exhaust is 98db at idle so quite loud, but driving with the windows closed there is no droning in the cabin & cruising between 50 - 95 mph i'd say that wind & tyre noise is louder !!

FWIW seeing as you have the final edition tail lights you might as well go the whole hog.

P.S. let us know if you have success in welding the alloy water pipes.  my 16mm main front - rears have started to leak where the rubber hose connects so i fear i may have the same problem

posting a pic in two ticks dave sucess its all done watch my posts  

what about the ball socket at the end on the exhaust pipe powerflow aswell?

Alex, as for the costs ..that's why I say use the OEM housings to fit any cheap type of round catalyst into it directly ..no matther if 100 -or 200 cell types ..as long as it is 90mm dia / 120 dia it should fit into ..and as the Lotus catalyst isn't made from stainless there is no need for quality type TIG-welding ..every MIG-tool will do

what about the ball socket at the end on the exhaust pipe powerflow aswell?

the pipes are ready made cat bypass pipes with the balls & lambda holes already fitted, i simply cut about 150mm from the middle of them & welded in the new cats.

As Gunter says you could simply just replace the cats in your existing pipes.  I didn't do this because my original cats were in good order, so i sold them IIRC for £275, so in my case for an outlay of approx £50.00 + my time i now have a full stainless 200 cell cat system :smoke:

ditto theres nothing wrong with my cats i just want a bit more flow so ill follow in your steps there dave a nice job let me know ref the pipe if you get it off send it me ill get it done for you

cheers alex i appreciate that :cheers:

what are the dimensions of the cats dave so i get the right ones or do you have a part number?

the cats are approx 200mm long & the ID of the pipe is approx 58-60mm

I just saw this post now...here's a few video clips of what you should expect...

With side exit exhaust (dual tip on each side, but it sounds very similar with single tip on each side)

Dyno (first car has center exit, 2nd car has side exit)

Hello, If you build a cat with a magnaflow core (200 cell or similar) and cut the bypass pipes so as to have pre and post 02 sensors...Would this meet US specs so as to pass California smog inpection?

what do you mean with the term 'bypass -pipe' there is nothing like that in OEM-specification ??

The layout as stock is as follows:

..first sensor (O2-probe) ..starter-cat   ..second sensor (O2-probe as you call it in the US sometimes) ..main catalyst.

..with this second sensor the ECM of the engine does nothing else than -compare the readout from the first sensor and see if there is any notable change in efficiency of the starter catalyst. As the chemo-physical process in every catalyst causes a change on the mixture that is sensed by this second O2sensor as soon as it exits on the outlet of the catalyst. 

If the signal is totally missing (as for 'no sensor in the harness/broken sensor') it needs to set a fault code in the high regulated California market, if the amount of the output level is not notable different to the signals from the first sensor (the one directly behind the exhaust manifold) the ECM sees this a 'suspicious' situation too

-what implies that the starter catalyst (the small one in the front casing) is broken/missing ..so it is not working and needs to be noted by a other fault code too ...that's what emission-regulation laws say in California

(as far as I know it from being a spanner men & engineer)

Edited by Günter