free hit
counters
How do you rationalise the Connecticut shooting? - Page 3 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ramjet

How do you rationalise the Connecticut shooting?

:huh:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Does that number include shootings by police or is that just illegal shootings Dan?

Just got the calculator out. That is one adult every 1.6 hours. :no

It's almost too hard to believe. That would be my office empty except for me in ~32 hours.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Is a gun with a bayonet really legal in the States? Crikey!

What amazed me was watching "Pawn Stars" last night and they were trying to buy a 37mm revolving multi fire canon (like the Gatling gun but much bigger). It was to sell on to collectors who wanted to shoot it.

I mean, seriously? What form of self defence would require you to buy a 37mm canon that fires 35 shots a minute?

It was an Antique.....aparantly.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Hi,  I apologise as my statistics do need revising albeit not by much ! They were from an unattributed source which I could not corroborate (which is bad form)  but they have now been corroborated  from the feed  "@gundeaths" on Twitter.

Apparently because centralised statistics of gun deaths are unavailable in the USA "as they happen",  a group of people have been tweeting gun death reports on a daily basis to fill that (disgraceful ?) statistical gap.

Since the Newtown massacre on December 14th 2012, they have counted reports amounting to a further 379 adult gun - related deaths which is not necessarily from illegal use-but that`s from news reports alone and does not include all gun deaths. 

Plus 27 reported gun deaths of under-24s since Dec 14th, totalling 406.

437 gun deaths is therefore plausible as a figure since 14th December 12 but I apologise for not being able to define it further . (Given 11,000 gun deaths a year that works out at 229 gun deaths a week on average-again, again close to or in fact more than 437 from Dec 14th so far). 

Regarding child deaths from guns, Dr. Judith Palfrey was quoted in the New York Times yesterday saying guns kill seven children and young adults from 1 to 24 , per day.    

"..xx number of deaths.. reported since xx... "

the thing is -does it matter how many  ?

..as even if it is 'only one' (one that could at least not be called *suicide*) it would be strange -as there is no official war out there in the USA

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

If this event leads to better treatment for those with mental health issues, this guy needs to be at the head of the queue.

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

But what, exactly do you do when one whom was sane earlier, and purchased weapons, goes nuts? Way too much emphasis on those folks already deemed short on sanity and nothing said about all of us ready to drop a lead ball when the time seems right to go over the edge... Over hear, we call it road rage, and other assorted monikers that defy psych descriptions...

Don't worry. The whole thing was a hoax.

If this event leads to better treatment for those with mental health issues, this guy needs to be at the head of the queue.

I haven't heard any of that professor's radio interviews, but going solely by his blog, what you just witnessed (through Vibe and various other media outlets) is just more inaccurate, irresponsible journalism.  Going by the blog cited in the Vibe article, the Vibe headline (and other similar headlines reported) are beyond misleading -- they are outright wrong.  It makes me wonder whether any of these so-called "journalists" even read the professor's blog of which they speak, because if you only read the first two paragraphs, it's pretty clear that the professor is trying to establish two things in his blog:  1) he is demonstrating the narrative  that the story has taken on via the mass media, and 2) he is calling into question whether the shooter acted alone, given that there were initially reports of additional suspects.  In no place in his blog, at least as of my writing this, does the professor claim there to be a hoax or conspiracy (and as I write this, the prof's blog was last updated January 7th and the Vibe article is dated January 9th).

The professor references the "lone gunman narrative" in his blog;  in the study of human communication, the term narrative refers to the fact that people look to shape stories/events/facts into something familiar to them or that they can relate to, and it is in our narratives by which we (humans) see and understand things and events.  The lone deranged gunman is a story we have unfortunately and tragically heard numerous times in the past fifteen years, and the point the professor is leading toward in his blog is that the media, law enforcement and the public have (by human nature) chosen to focus on only certain elements of the entire story because doing so fits our understanding of how school/mall/cinema/etc. shootings occur.   This is introductory-level Communication study -- it's covered in every non-major intro course, and anyone who has gotten as far as Communication Theory is (or should be) well past the very basic concept of the narrative. 

So, in other words, what you are looking at in the Vibe and other headlines is a bunch of amateur wannabe journalists hopping on the sensationalism bandwagon rather than reading (or comprehending) the blog of which they speak. 

Ask yourself this:   Why didn't the Vibe article hyperlink the blog?  

Here it is;  read for yourself:  http://memoryholeblog.com/2013/01/06/sandy-hook-school-massacre-timeline/#more-1504

Now that you've read it . . . how accurate is the Vibe article's headline?  

The blog is mostly a chronological listing of news reports . . . why does the Vibe author call it a "self conceived" timeline?  

What effect does this choice of words have on the reader?    Why is the author of the Vibe article not clearly identified?

Tony K. :)

Esprit S1s #355H & 454H

Esprit S2.2  #324J

1991 Esprit SE

Another one today I see, stopped by a stern and brave teacher.

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

Who didn't have a gun.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

So the guy from the NRA was wrong when talking about the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun?

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Good news today from the NRA.

In response to the Sandy Hook mass shooting they (The NRA) have just released a gun app for kids aged 4 years and over, so as they can hone their sharpshooting skills on their phones before they head off to school.

"Released on Sunday, the NRA's free "Practice Range'' app lets players shoot coffin-shaped targets with a range of realistic guns including AK-47 and M16 assault rifles."

Nice one. :thumbup:

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

I thought you were joking at first. 

WTF?! How the hell does the NRA jive this idiotic app with LaPierre's statement here at 3:10?...

Idiot. I'll let my late spokesman reply:

1983 "Investor's Special Edition" Turbo Esprit (#43/50) | 2012 Evora S

Calling them "coffin shaped targets" is a great way to sensationalize what the application is. And it's not targeting 4 year olds, they just rated it 4 and up. Parents should be in full control of what apps their kids are playing anyway. 

Playing Duck Hunt with a *gasp* controller shaped as a gun didn't lead me to going around shooting up ducks, this is no different then that.

'86 Lotus Esprit Turbo

Matt, as much as I find what George Carlin says here

(

)  is cool and right,

-the same way it is right what this NRA guy says about the 'rap music video' and 'ego shooter' games and the media.

-from my point of view the problematic point in modern culture is as this:

Weapons are not only seen anymore as tools to hunt & kill a deer you want to eat with your family.

..weapons are seen as a cool device to show up your social status, and act unrespectfull to other people lifes. 

So it needs a turn around in mind and acting, not to ban weapons in general out of the world 

..ban the free use of them in private hands, even if the NRA does not like it this way ..for obviews reasons of bussiness loss

-and turn the focus off from *blingbling gangstar style* in social-culture ..so up to a way of more awareness or public  and social spirit

Edited by Günter

I think you guys are missing the point. And yes, I'm a gun owner. In fact I own guns that have been in my family going back to my great-great grandfather's single-barrel (Damascus) 10-gauge hammer-action shotgun. The point is the NRA's hypocrisy in raging against violent video games and then not seeing that deeming it appropriate to expose 4-year olds to coffin-shaped targets is, at best, a rather pathetic distinction.

I used to be an NRA member, but just as Ted Nugent doesn't need the 2nd Amendment to give him the right to defend himself, I don't need the NRA. 

no ego shooters, no glorifying of gangstar rap and as so no 4 year olds with shooter games ..that's what I mean

( 4 year olds should not even have a smarthphone at all ..this is crazy enough to think about what uncontrolled use of a web-phone can mean for those kids..)

what I say is just -keep weapons there where they are needed ..to defend a country, to help the police on legal ways ..and for professional hunting.  Over here everyone needs a government training and licence based on a strict legislation to own a gun (and even this is not save enough, as we can see -there are also shootings here if a gun gets into the wrong hands) , so that's why I've only used a gun in millitary time and that's it for all times ... of course I would like to see if I can still do the  *6 x 6 on 250m standing* with the HK, but I would do this for training purpose in a reservist group, far off in a artillery field, not in a urban civillian area

Edited by Günter

Are the NRA off their heads? :huh:

http://youtu.be/miSjgv1MH7s

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Like any organization that started out with decent goals and intentions, but has since been overrun by fanatics--or at least that lets it's fanatics lead the organization's less fanatical members around like bulls with nose rings--it's simply lost the ability to see itself objectively. I think the NRA's membership is increasing, but it's also clear that more and more people also think they're a joke, or at least worthy of increasingly humorous ridicule. 

Dunno. It all seems rather simple to me: (1) Not gun elimination, but some moderate throttling back and slightly more restrictive conditions for ownership in general and certain extreme weapons types that wouldn't protect you anyway if the government decided to take you down; and (2) lots more funding for mental health and database integration. I'm not against people owning guns, but the threshold one needs to pass is, even in states like Massachusetts, pretty damn low. We have freedom of movement guaranteed under the Privileges and Immunities/Comity Clause of the U.S. Constitution, but that doesn't mean anyone can buy a Caterpillar 797, and I'd like to see some similar common sense.

And this thread is reminding me of bird hunting and giving me a hankering for pheasant in particular. Bibs, how about the first TLF grouse hunt? 

Count me in :D

Minigun3_.jpg

Evora NA

I see the grouse don't stand a chance.

Don't mess with me, I'm a wild man, son

I got me my very own anti-tank gun
I got a jack rabbit with it,

I guess he wasn't leanin'

Yeah, I've always been a sportsman

Now, there wasn't much left when I got to him
Them big old shells didn't just go through him
Just lumps of fur and that was it
Guess you could say he sure took a hit, alright

-- Mark Knopfler

Sure would have been a lot simpler if the second amendment was a "right to bear muskets". I'm sure the NRA extremist types would like to push for justifying machine guns as their right. Tanks is next. Just want to show their buddies down at the lodge "I got a bigger pee-pee than you". Sad. Does one really need a 30 round assault rifle to take down deer? Make no mistake, they were designed as weapons of war. Defending one's home can be left to a pistol if you so choose. It's gotten out of hand. A lucrative industry supported by lobbyists $$$$$. 

60258591_3e334aefc4.jpg

Edited by comem47