free hit
counters
Esprit V8 GT after hitting a Lamp Post a Year ago. - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kim.Poulsen

Esprit V8 GT after hitting a Lamp Post a Year ago.

During the Christmas Party last saturday, I was asked if I would make public some pictures of the Esprit V8 GT which I as a passenger had an accident in. The car hit sideways into a lamp post vith the left door.

Since I have not heard from the owner for long time and the pictures are from the insurance company I see no problems in showing them for you!

Here they are!

https://plus.google.com/photos/115299394166007528015/albums/5822261645649350721?authkey=CKmdjIX0y-ObkgE 

Esprit%2BV8%2BGT%2B1999%2B%252814%2529.J

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Having taken one apart yours is the one accident that I wouldnt want to have in one........... however you are  still here so maybe they are tougher than they look in that area.  It does look like the lampost made its way half way across the passenger side floor pan.  Did the roof rail break up like the floor /sill area?  Did the door beam / lock/ hinge hold and bend or just break?

I don't remember much of the acccident. We were sliding sideways into the lamp post and moved it 3 meters in the ground. The door was pressed into the car so I couldn't move for 30 minutes. The rescue team cut the roof of the car and got me out.

I  suffered 8 broken ribs, left lung puncture and a bleeding Spleen. Still having trouble with it now and then. The driver suffered 2 bent ribs, as far as I know. 

Here is a newspaper photo with the rescue team working.

Esprit+V8+GT+1999+%28News%29.JPG

I've seen similar looking photos before. In the late 80's a friend lost his G Turbo in the wet on the B roads around Maidenhead. He went through a gate into a field and hit a wooden post. Car was totaled and he ended up with pins in his legs. He recovered ok but never wanted another Lotus. He ended up buying a crotch rocket.

That's one that looks like you were lucky to come away from alive. What's difficult to gauge is whether it being a fibreglass car helped or hindered, the car body absorbs the shock in a very different way to metal and it may have been better for you to not be in a metal car which would have buckled and possibly have crushed you elsewhere.

Wow, glad you're ok.  That looks horrible.  The Esprit seems to protect it's passenger's quite well.  I remember an accident about 10 years ago just up the road from me near Henley on a damp winters night, where the Esprit lost it and hit a tree.  The guy survived.

Mark-Ledger_05.jpg

Mark-Ledger_02.jpg

He didn't even have a scratch if I remember? Didn't he use the payout to buy a Bentley?