free hit
counters
Fuel Gauge/Low Fuel Light - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
ChrisJ

Fuel Gauge/Low Fuel Light

Got my car back on the road on Friday, and the fuel gauge isn't working. The indicator flickers from rest, and then sticks at just above zero, no matter how much fuel I put in.

I understand from GST that the low fuel light is working, so at the moment, I'm noting down the fuel and the mileometer reading and working out how far I can go before I need more, but was wondering how much fuel I have left when the low fuel light comes on. I can't find the owner's manual at the moment, although I know it is somewhere.

So does anyone have the figure for fuel remaining?

Thanks

Chris

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I believe it's 2 gallons.  One thing I can say for sure - I've run Esprits dry as a bone (I thought) to change tanks on several occasions, and I invariably get a deluge when I disconnect them!

I can say mine will start to flicker, depending on the Gs I'm pulling between 1/2 full and 1/4 full.

Below 1/4 full, it's pretty much on all the time. I can't tell how much fuel is left because I never fill it to the brim...

I can't pull any real Gs at the moment as I'm limited to 3000 rpm.

However, I must have a really light foot, as I've been putting fuel in when I've thought I was low, and when doing so on Saturday, went and brimmed it after 27 litres, so my calculations of 4.5 miles per litre is a bit off. I'll brim it after a couple of hundred miles and see what I'm actually doing.

They can be pretty economical, I found it surprising myself.

Add the 3000 rpm max on top and for sure you'll get good mileage.

The fun begins when you forget about the mileage...

I've burnt off a whole tank at Goodwood on more than one occasion - not too many laps either if a I recall correctly.

I fitted new alloy fuel tanks this week, and put £15= 2-5 galls in and the low fuel light was on, then put another £15=2-5 galls light still on and gauge moved to E, put another £15=2-5 galls, so a total of 7ish galls and the light went off and gauge went to 1/4 tank, I had been running the engine for 30 / 40 mins, so I would think that at stand still the light might come on at 6 gallons, I then drove the car and on acceleration the light flickered so I'm going to say light on = 6 galls, the reason I put fuel in £15 at a time I'd sorned the car and was getting fuel in 2 plastic petrol cans almost full up