free hit
counters
76 elite type 75 restoration started - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cdfps

76 elite type 75 restoration started

I am new to the forum, and new to Lotus cars.  I recently purchased a elite 1976 type 75.  I am not going to restore it exactly as I think the original had a lot of extra parts.  I am documenting the rebuilt at the following address for anyone interested.

https://sites.google.com/site/kwolshomepage/lotus-504

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Interesting blog, Ross. You certainly seem to get things done quickly!  :thumbsup:   You seem to be doing a great job.  I look forward to reading more as you progress

I like the drum brake clip holder - that must save a lot of swearing with pliers!

Wow!

You are making great progress - and a very merry christmas to you!

I laughed when I saw your cleaned up seat belt mounts - it shows the difference in corrosion levels between the UK and the US. We don't so much remove the ones from our cars in the UK, we usually tap the area with a hammer, then sweep them up. Chassis looks to be in great condition as well compared to what we see here. It looks to have the basis of a great car.

Interesting that the rear brake cylinders are thought to be triumph spitfire. On the UK car they are Ford Capri 1300, however the master cylinder on the lhd car is different, so perhaps the Federal spec car is completely different in braking parts? The yahoo 4 seaters group are mostly US based and can probably give good Federal spec advice.

Looking forward to the next update!

Thanks for the encouragement   

It is hard trying to remember to take pictures as you work, but the ipod makes it a little easier.

I will have some questions to post later I'm sure, but I have been able to figure things out for the most part.

NIck from http://www.nickslotuseclat.com helped me out with a diagram of the vacuum lines on the smog carbs and where all the fasteners were for the rear seats.

I think I read somewhere that the automatic cars had different size rear brake cylinders so maybe that is why the Cortina 1300 and triumph both could fit elites.

Thanks again,

Ross 

I've been waiting on brake shoes to be delivered so I can get the frame back on.  They were finally delivered Friday, but I had several other projects this weekend so I only got as far as putting the shoes on.

I really want the body back on so I can get the European bumpers from Tocus installed.

Couple of questions.

1. Does anyone have a picture of how the euro spec front bumper is supposed to be attached?

2. Does anyone have a picture of how the "kick down" cable attached to the carb linkage of cd 175 stombergs?

I've missed this before Ross. You can also set up a blog on here if you want. May get a bit more exposure with other members on here.

i will make some pictures tomorrow, i strip down a 504 today and yesterday,

so i can make pictures of the front bumper, and also from the gearbox, kick down cable.... no problem.

(this is my 3th 504 that i strip) and there are not so many made...

Tocus, you are the man!  Thanks.

I am posting some pics now of where I left off this afternoon.

Thank you! ross... i just wanne help you!

i will go now to my garage, so then i will make some pictures you will seen them soon!1

here the mounting bolts on picture:

http://imageshack.us/f/841/sam0304f.jpg/

you see 1 hole inside the front lights,

and here you see 2 bolts: (one is very white around it...)

http://imageshack.us/f/18/sam0305s.jpg/

this is on the DHLA dellorto´s the cable to the automatic gearbox

http://imageshack.us/f/850/sam0307e.jpg/

Perfect.

The bolts under the turn signals will need a bracket because when they did the federal bumpers, they cut out a big section of the body in that area.

The center bolts shouldn't be a problem, as I have some 3mm stainless to make brackets out of.

The transmission linkage is attached to the carbs by a 4 ~ 5 cm lever.  I have the stromberg carbs so I will have to see if they have anything like this, but I don't remember anything.  If not I will fabricate one.

Thanks again.

Done.

Well, sort of anyway.

The car runs, drives and stops good, all the lights, horns, and electricals work, I have all the little remaining bits in hand, ( Thanks Tocus from the Netherlands! )  and with a days efforts. an inspection sticker. 

I have a bunch of pictures I didn't put up yet, maybe maybe not.  

https://sites.google.com/site/kwolshomepage/lotus-504/lotus-504-part-10

I'll shoot some video or final pictures but pretty much A done deal.

One more Elite back n the road!

Great to see how hard you are working to get the car done, and get it back on the road!

Really good! when its done its a beautifull elite!

when it drive's i will see the video,

Greetings from The Netherlands,!