free hit
counters
s4s temperature gauge reading very low? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
sal786

s4s temperature gauge reading very low?

Hi all,   Please help, the temperature gauge is reading very low,? is it the gauge, or can it be the

sensor, if it is where will it be?   As you can see i am new to the esprit world.....(but love them).

Thank you.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I suggest buying a suitable ALDL cable and using Espritmon or TunerPro to help with this. It will not help identify if the gauge or its sender is at fault but will let you know if the engine is running cool (e.g. the thermostat being stuck open). The ALDL information is useful for all kinds of fault finding. The water temperature gauge sender is on the thermostat housing.

Check as above,but 1st pull wire off and push back on as it may just be a dirty/corroded contact.

As Derek has said, best to get Freescan first to help diagnose. Mine was doing exactly the same earlier this year.

There are two senders, one for the gauge & one for the ECU, if Freescan shows engine temp is ok then you know it's either the gauge or gauge sender that's faulty. If engine temp shows low on Freescan then more likely thermostat faulty but could be ecu sender.

It was the thermostat on mine, I won't go into the fiasco I had replacing it  ( mostly self inflicted !! )

Low engine temperature will cause it to run rich ( black exhaust )

Phil.

Pull the connector off the sensor attached to the water pipe near the cam belt, and the gauge should read zero, touch the connector to ground and the gauge should go full scale, easy way to tell if it's the gauge or sender.