free hit
counters
Dunlop 205/60R14 89H SP60 any good? - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Clive59

Dunlop 205/60R14 89H SP60 any good?

Hi all, I am looking at getting new tyres for my pending arrival in a few weeks (Elite S2 76 502) as it has 185/65? on it and are probably due for replacement. I have found a supplier in Aus that has Dunlop 205/60R14 in stock at a good price. Just wondering if anyone knows of these and/or how good are they?

thanks, Clive

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

choice is very limited in 205 60 14 and most of the familiar "brand" name companies don't offer this size anymore.

H rated Dunlops are probably as decent as any if you can get them, but I don't think they have been available to us for some time in the UK, so check the date of manufacture on the tyre. You don't want a set that have been sitting around for years and have gone hard with UV and age.

H rated Falken are available, as are some of the other far eastern manufacturers like Hero, Woosung, Nankang, Nexen (or at least Nankang and Nexen were until recently). You might find some V rated Bridgestones, Toyo's or HR S306 Yokohama's, but I don't think they are manufactured anymore.

I think I got the last set of Yokohama S306's in the UK, and in truth they are not much better than the champiro 60's that were on previously. I've heard good things about the Nexen N2000's as a cheap grippy directional tyres on other cars, but have never tried them on mine. I have Nankang's on the back of my HSV Commodore and you have to be very wary with them in the wet..

Stickier road legal track day tyres are available in Europe from Toyo R888 and Kumho V70 in a 225 14, but the aspect and circumference is slightly different and I'm not 100% sure they fit on the front without rubbing (I have a set to fit, but haven't tried yet).

Dunlops sound like they could potentially be a decent buy.

I'm afraid beggars can't be choosers in this size. The Dunlops don't appear to be available in the UK/Europe which is a shame as I would much rather have a recognised brand on something so important as tyres.

Having said that some fresh H rated rubber is infinitely preferable to some fossilized 20 year old V rated tyres which some people seem happy to live with an the basis that the car "only does a few miles a year". I've inherited 2 cars like that and they were lethal!

They are H rated unfortunately, but seems that the insurance company doesn't mind