free hit
counters
Shoes - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

With "normal" shoes on, my feet clip the brake pedal when I push the accelerator. Now, I *think* this is a fairly common problem.

Do people have any recommendations for types of shoes to wear? I've tried clipless cycling shoes - great shape (very narrow) so very controllable, but they're very tough rubber on the bottom so they slip on the pedals. There has to be a driving shoe out there somewhere?? :P

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can buy proper racing boots ...

Or a stanley knife to trim the edges from your regular shoes ... Lotus drivers will understand, and it's agood talking point for everybody else!

Get real driving shoes for example: http://www.ompusa.com/ompracingshoes.htm

Or if you byu sparco you can even get the red ones, wich suits good with your car colour B) http://www.sparcousa.com/sportswear_shoes.asp

I use normal jogging shoes (or leisure shoes, like in pic)

shoes_ia45222.jpg

Check my blog and leave comments/suggestions Jussi's photography blog

See you in G+ Jussi Alanko in Google+

Get real driving shoes for example: http://www.ompusa.com/ompracingshoes.htm

Or if you byu sparco you can even get the red ones, wich suits good with your car colour  B) http://www.sparcousa.com/sportswear_shoes.asp

I use normal jogging shoes (or leisure shoes, like in pic)

shoes_ia45222.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I use deck shoes too :P

No doubt that driving shoes are better, but once you get out of the car,

the further away from it you walk - the more like a pixie you look...

So keep yer proper shoes in the front :P

Bit of a cheap skate here.

I've bought a couple of pairs of 'Gola' leather trainers.

These shoes have excellent feel as they have a very thin sole + there's no lip on the outside of the shoe to catch the brake pedal with.

Come in all different colours and are a great price - around

Simon  (94 S4)      My Esprit will be for sale in late 2017

AS041.gif These are what I have always worn when racing and driving. They are light and have thin soles for good pedal feel. Woolworths used to sell them for 5 quid a pr. :P Now Converse Chuck Connors are fashionable with the kids( my 13 yr. old daughter wears them) they cost $50 a pr.! :( The pedals on an Esprit are spaced for good heel and toe downchanges, but I find the wider spaced pedals on the federal cars more comfortable. :P Wayne(size 11 feet ,as wide as a duck) :( Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

I've got the gola trainers too. They are great for driving as they are very narrow. The also have the bit which goes up the back of the heal which saves wear.

Cheers

Alan Croft

89 Turbo (Chargecooled)

Alan Croft

2000 V8 GT

87 Turbo Esprit HC

2000 Elise Sport 160

I can now wear whatever I want to. These would be my widest shoes at about 11.7cms across the sole. My son has even wider feet and has no problems either.

shoes.jpg

To get to this though involved a lot of work doing...

lotusclutch018.jpg

That was my first version which I subsequently revised. Basically, after removing the pedal box (a most awkward and rotten job made easier by removing the seat, steering column, instrument binnacle and roll pad) I left the brake alone, moved the clutch to the left and the accelerator to the right.

My second version involved some further adjustments and narrowing the foot rest as well as strengthening it so it no longer bends. (Check yours and you'll probably see where it bends.) I'm now thinking about a third version which will angle the accelerator for even easier heel and toe operation.

Now works really well, great when pressing on and no longer any qualms about letting friends discover the joy of driving a Lotus. This is for right hand drive. I can't comment on LHD.

Edited by DanR1201

DanR

Puma bought out some nice trainers in conjuction with Sparco last year which are cool, nice and narrow soles, comfy and lots of feel. I even got another pair recently which are green and yellow, nice :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Guest Troy Halliday

As I haven't driven my S3 yet I can't comment ..................... but when I driving the Lotus 7 I wear a pair of narrow timberland Trainer/boot. They are very similar in shape to a race shoe. The peddles are really close together and it is far to easy to hit both pedals at once.

Guest esprit geoff

When I first test drove the Esprit I did catchmy feet. I now wear narrow trainers which have a good strong flexible sole. I find with thin soles that after a while my feet go numb. However I'm only a size 7 so I've got the ideal small feet for the Esprit!!

Geoff.

Hehe, size 5, I was born to drive Esprit's :P

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

With "normal" shoes on, my feet clip the brake pedal when I push the accelerator.  Now, I *think* this is a fairly common problem.

Do people have any recommendations for types of shoes to wear?  I've tried clipless cycling shoes - great shape (very narrow) so very controllable, but they're very tough rubber on the bottom so they slip on the pedals.  There has to be a driving shoe out there somewhere?? :P

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Try this link. I use these and I have large feet ( size 11 to 12 ) and they work a treat.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/catalogue/pr...B&action=detail

Cliff

Men marry women with the hope they will never change. Women marry men with the hope they will change. Invariably they are both disappointed. : Albert Einstein

• 2 months later...

Just been out and bought myself a new pair of "Esprit" driving shoes! Bit premature but what the hell!! :D

Would highly recommend these, nice and narrow, designed to be similar to the Sparco race boots, rubber up the heel and to the side of your toes to aid heel toe!!

Perfect in every way. The new ones that ive bought don't have the Goodyear branding.

Would look a little silly With Dunlop tyres and Goodyear trainers!!! LOL :D

Supposed to be

Edited by Simon350S

Chunky Lover

I just wear a pair of ordinary Nike Running shoes :D I can also get away with wearing Skater style shoes. I have found the G Car has more room between the pedals than the SE I drove. It has sacrificed pedal spacing in order to squeeze the footrest in there.

"When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked him to forgive me."

------------------------------

ribbon200.gifG-Car Owner and Proud! ribbon200.gif

Guest teigan

bought a pair of carrera designed driving shoes last year, and i hated them. the sole was too soft, and i got arch cramps on long drives. i prefer any stiff soled shoe to a so called driving shoe. my chosen shoes from my collection to drive with is the prada vitello sport. it wasn't a driving shoe per se, but it had the wrap around sole, for pivoting heel action.

I like them boots, might send my dad down to that store to get me a pr. Where is this T.K.Max  store? :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There's loads of them all around the UK, got mine in Cardiff, but they are in most City shopping centres.

Its a discount outlet. Probably got a website with all their locations listed.

Chunky Lover