free hit
counters
anti freeze - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
lotus_v8

anti freeze

Hello!

I'm going to change the coolent in my car. I wounder which anti freeze you guys recommend.

I'm thinking about Castrol red anti freeze. I also wounder about which colour to use on anti freeze red, blue , green???

I know that I should not mix them!!But I have heard that

you should have the red anti freeze for alloy engines, is that correct??

regards Niclas

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Niclas:

When I had my radiator upgraded, I did a fair amount of research on coolant/antifreeze for the Esprit. One thing I noticed is the lower aluminum coolant return line which splits off to the heater core had corroded to the point where there were pin-sized holes in the aluminum. The traditional green antifreeze is not kind to aluminum so I switched to the "G5" type coolant used by DaimlerChrysler and Ford. The G5 coolant is friendly to all types of metals. There are a variety of different metals in the Esprit coolant system including aluminum, steel and copper which the G5 will not harm.

Mark Pfeffer

Thanks for the reply!

Where can I buy this stuff (G5)??

Can someone explain for me the diffrent colours on anti freeze, whats the diffrens?

My other car an Audi I used Castrol (red anti freeze), can I use this for my Esprit too??

Must I have disteld water or could I use ordenery drinking water??

Thanks for the reply!

Where can I buy this stuff (G5)??

Can someone explain for me the diffrent colours on anti freeze, whats the diffrens?

My other car an Audi I used Castrol (red anti freeze), can I use this for my Esprit too??

Must I have disteld water or could I use ordenery drinking water??

Here is the States it is sold in most Auto stores under Zerex G-05 by Valvoline. I have it in my Ford and it works well. Will be switching over to this stuff the next coolant change.

Here is a web page.

http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/pr....asp?product=10

JoeyO

2001 V8

JoeyO

2001 V8 - Silver

2007 Ducati 1098

I've switched to G05 also...Pepboys carrys it. If you can't get that go to the local Mercedes or Ford dealer. They both use it....I know with Mercedes it's the entire product line and it costs the same as G05 or Ford.

G05 is a low-silicate solution, if you want to know more about the technical aspects I recommend looking at the posts on www.bobistheoilguy.com...they got a lot of cooling wizards there. G05 is the highest rated product there.

-Chandra

91SE

Here is the States it is sold in most Auto stores under Zerex G-05 by Valvoline. I have it in my Ford and it works well. Will be switching over to this stuff the next coolant change.

Here is a web page.

JoeyO

2001 V8

Niclas:

There are several manufacturers who make a "G5" type product. I used the Zerex (Valvoline's brand) G5 coolant. Not sure if the Castrol is a Hybrid Organic Acid Technology (HOAT) type coolant or not. Most likely the Castrol used in your Audi is an Organic Acid technology (OAT) type which is slightly different from HOAT type. I use the Pentosin type OAT from the Audi delaer in my A8. Below is the link to the G5 HOAT type from Zerex:

USE DISTILLED WATER ONLY! I keep one empty bottle of coolant around that I pre-mix (50% coolant/50% distilled water) so I can add it if/when needed.

Mark "Feff" Pfeffer

I've never got that excited about antifreeze.... Assumed they all did the 'antifreeze' and 'anti-corrosion' thing..

My first though to this 'what colour?' thread was - what colour is the bodywork? ...and matching your antifreeze colour to your body work... isn't very helpfull... Sooorrrriiiieeeee.....

Now I run 5 cars from a cast iron engined 1972 Mg Midget (engined designed about 1950!) through mixted cast iron block/alloy head engined VW and Audi's and Modern Fords and of course the Esprit V8.... The Ford Service book says the factory fill coolant is 'life of the car' and is Pink which has always made me Hmmm! about.... The Ford manual says any others (typically Blue in UK) is three years... Audi/VW (factory fill is pink) says change every three years...

Does anyone know or have a link to a simple definative explanation of the colours and there usuage/ages/meanings if there is any clear industry standard/world wide agreed definitions?

Thanks

J

Edited by jeff_hooper

hi,

Im gonna change the coolant in my car and this thread had some good stuff but all in us. What do you all think the best antifreeze for anti corrosion here in uk? Also what about water wetter to bring temps down and i've seen some antifreeze callee 4life(last 10 yrs) and it turns from green to yellow if your head gasket goes!?

cheers Andy

User's Manual - mono-ethylene Glycol based only.

Different anti-freeze's have different properties with different metals - some people dump any old poop in the header tank and then wonder why the water jacket has erroded or why the pipes / radiator are leaking.

Colours are co-ordinated to different mixes, some have an anti-corrosive addative that can mildly corrosive when incorrectly used - some are poisonous, ethlene glycol is toxic which is possibly why some manufacturers use different blends.

Use distilled / de-ionised water only with the correct concentration of anti-freeze (I use 1 part anti-freeze to 2 parts water, similar to the factory) - you don't need a water wetter imo as it is no substitute for a correctly maintained cooling circuit. Tap water has so much rubbish and impurities in it which lead to corrosion and so on.

facebook = [email protected]

Most colors of antifreeze are just tied to automakers to help identify what coolant type to use. Most often they are just dyes, and don't indicate anything with regard to their cooling properties or compatability with various metals. The OEM's want you to buy their coolant if possible. Placing a dye in it makes you afraid to use anything but the original.

I know you should be careful with any type of "Dexcool" as it does not mix with some types.

I would imagine that getting a coolant that is friendly to aluminum would be better than you typical Prestone antifreeze (though I am almost positive they make a formula that is safe with aluminum alloys).

Edited by Paul93Lotus