free hit
counters
S2 Technical Service Bulletin 1980/34 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lou R

S2 Technical Service Bulletin 1980/34

Hi All,

I'm currently restoring a 79 Federal S2 and it appears the front lower control arm bushings (where the control arms bolt up to the chassis) were never updated per Lotus' Technical Service Bulletin 1980/34.  I'm a little surprised my car doesn't have the modified control arms given the October 1978 manufacture date of my car.  I'd like to perform this modification but I need specific details that are probably only in the Service Bulletin.  I know that SJ sells modified control arms but given the cost to ship them to the US it's probably much less expensive if I go to a local machine shop and have mine machined so they'll accept the larger (non-Opel) bushings.  Does anyone know where I can obtain a copy of TSB 1980/34 ?  

Thanks,

Lou R

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Lou

I've just had this done to my very early S1 (30th off the production line). I just got some tube turned down to accept the later bushes and then had the holes in the arms enlarged to accept the tube. The tubes were then TIG welded in and job done. The only thing to watch for is that the holes in the arms which accept the original bush are not the same size!! I think I used 40mm OD tube with an ID of 35mm which gave a wall thickness of 2.5mm which ensures it's up to the job. The only other thing was that both tubes has a bit of 35mm tube inserted into them when they were welded to stop them going out of shape due to the heat.

Cheers, Paul.