free hit
counters
Silver G reg Excel SE restoration - Projects & Restorations - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
andydclements

Silver G reg Excel SE restoration

Well, it's probably going to be a blog (of sorts) but the software doesn't allow multiple blogs (I've checked the IP.Board forum and 1.2 is supposedly to allow multiple users per blog but still one blog per user).

State of play.

Car was agreed to be purchased middle-end 2011, paid for much later once transport cost has been established (father-in-law of vendor runs a car transport company) , Dec 2011 car arrives and because it was too low to fit on the multiple car transporter vehicle (the ones that shift 6 or so cars in one go) it arrived approx 5am one morning when I was flying up to Edinburgh.

The car then sat there until recently, I've now spent a few hours hammering the wheels off, they corroded and fused to the hubs. The brakes at the front have been hammered so that the piston has moved in enough to increase the pad/disc clearance and the front wheels now rotate. The rears were worse as the pads were not the issue but the shoes/drum were causing the wheels to rotate reasonably in one direction but lock in the other, so rear discs have been removed.

This means the car is ready for the transport company to come and move it to mine for the real work to start. I'm moving to this project as the bits left to do on the gold one (E reg) are more suited to doors wide open and nice weather, such things as interior out and recoloured. So, with a few months of cold weather ahead and lack of daylight hours getting the silver one into the garage and working on it in there seems like a productive use of facilities.

Rear callipers have been sourced (refurbished ones £134 incl VAT / pair exchange), rear calliper mounts rust removed.

Front callipers and discs with Buddsy for conversion machining.

Brake flexis on order.

Brass brake unions acquired.

Indicator repeaters acquired.

Front dampers (AVO) already acquired for gold one but not used on it.

Poly bushes acquired (again for gold one but not used).

There will be a lot of other stuff I need but as long as I have the parts / materials necessary to allow me to make progress without waiting on them it's fine.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well, it was booked it to be moved today but I get a text message around 6pm advising the driver was delayed on the previous job so will have to be next week. A bit miffed that I'd deliberately worked from home to make sure it all went smoothly but nowhere near as miffed had I have taken a day off work. On the positive side, I have cleaned up, the rear calliper mounts, painted them with zinc rich paint and surface coat of black paint, and painted the refurbished rear callipers, so small progress. I could get on  with jobs such as making up brake pipes re-trimming parts of the headlining.

Good work Andy.

Those callipers have been machined Andy. I just got to machine those disks. Or are they for the Esprit? 

Did you get fuel pump sorted on the red one?

Buddsy

Cheers Buddsy. They are for this one so as you can guess, no rush.

The red one's issue turned out not to be the fuel pump but I couldn't say much in front of the recovery guy, he kept insisting the SU pump was clicking into action but not spinning and didn't seem to comprehend that the initial click was the initial push of the armature which then found the fuel system to be fully pressurised and so the points didn't operate any longer. The problem has been traced to a 4 month old rotor arm, nothing visibly wrong but it shorts the spark out, so I've got a new one (same type) on temporarily and once it's a little less cold & windy I'll get the new one on from matt Debbage which has no pin to enable it to short out.

Ahhh ok lol

Buddsy

Well, it's home now and as expected (feared) when I started to check to see what needs doing it's a lot more than I hoped for, that said it's still not bad.

As well as the usual brakes, dampers etc that rust it's sitting down on one side at the front so hopefully just a spring gone.

There was no / very little coolant in it but I've topped it up and it's not dropped perceivably yet so maybe the previous owner never topped it up in the 11 years he had it sitting as a project.

I've connected power to the battery and most lights and motors/ switches are inoperative / not fully operative, fair enough for decades of corrosion.

I know the engine ran a year ago as I drive it into the garage off the trailer (brakes were seized on then so pushing wasn't an option) so hopefully it's still OK although I don't plan to check until I have  anew belt on it.

Paintwork, not too bad, a few scratches that will polish out, a blemish on the front corner but lots of chips near and on the bonnet and a gouge on the front bumper corner.

Rear bumper has to come off also as one rear light is cracked.

Door and boot seals leaking and spoiler seems not sealed to boot lid.

Interior mouldy, but not as bad as I've seen so a bit of an industrial strength clean and it may be OK (headlining, as usual, needs doing).

Driver's seat doesn't stay in position.

Passenger door beam failed.

At least it's here and I can get on with removing bits to replace/refurbish. I'll have to take some pics for the before in readiness for a few months later showing comparison to progress.

Andy, would love to run up and visit some time when you're up to your elbows in this one!

Just give me a shout, I'm hoping to go at this one with full force although I fully expect I'll get hung up for some parts at some point.

Last night I was thinking of there being a couple of months work, this morning I fleetingly thought of breaking it for parts and selling them. The reason is that last night I found the headlights and fog lights worked but not indicators and not the right hand side light & rear light, but I'd found it wasn't the fuse. Today I checked the potential at the fuse and could see circa 1v on both sides of the fuse holder (with no fuse in) so I started a touch-based investigation behind the fuse block (difficult to see anything) and I encountered ends of wires. I then managed to look and could see several wires which have been cut, having removed the plate the fuse block is mounted to I can now see circa 10 wires cut and about the same number bared, some have even been pulled from the fuse block with terminals attached. I can only assume somebody mucked about behind the dash to install something and trapped the loom. I hate electrics, especially when it's in a confined space so that looks like another week of work there, tracing wires, splicing, making good and then getting that F***ing awful mounting plate and securing bolt back in place.

If I hadn't got parts for this project and not got the headlights working etc I might have kept with the idea of parting it out but the more I look at the car the more I think this is the Excel I want to keep.

Maybe I should bring my luvverly PowerProbe 2 kit...

When I see you next I must remember to dig out a spare coil kit including plate.

Good news, the purge pump works... Well it does but I have no idea if the power gets to it, i just tested it on a battery assuming I'd have to rebuild it.

The fuse block is shown here. It's pretty much as bad inside the middle of the block as the side is, so lots of wires to repair.

http://andrew-clements.magix.net/all-albums/!/oa/6725171-87056744/mode/detail

Anyway on the good news side of things, The headlights now move freely (it was pivot bolts and actuation rod balls) and have new standard 7 inch headlamps in. One side repeater has been replaced (they fell of when I washed the car).

I've attached one of the bonnet release cables, used the longer one for the shorter one as both inners have been cut so I need to get a replacement for the longer one now.

I've managed to remove both bits of the threaded rod that was the RHS bonnet pivot, previous person had to cut through between the bobbins to open the bonnet (see comment on cables).

I've removed one rad fan, it's completely gone so that will be replaced.

It may seem I'm doing things in an odd order but I'm looking at the items that I think are most likely to have failed but I may not have the parts for as yet, so would need to source those. That way I can continue working on things while bits are sourced and delivered.

Well, it seems I was wrong (as was the IPB Board FAQ, or at least it was out of date) and I can have more than one blog. On that basis I've started the Blog about G945 LVG.

A bit of progress on the electrics today although still some minor issues with them.