free hit
counters
Bluetooth - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I picked up my 11 Evora IPS mid October with 16k on the clock. From day one the Bluetooth didn't work with no amount of Alpine help desk (who were incidentally very helpful) being able to fix it. The dealer took it back and replaced the unit. It worked when he showed me when I collected the car but when I started the car again to leave, it just wouldn't connect. The technician looked again and the solution was to disconnect the battery to reset it. It then worked about five times before giving up again. I did the battery reset thing and it worked again about five times.

It has now been back for another unit replacement and, yet again, has lasted about five times before giving up. I really don't fancy having to reset it every fifth journey. I don't want to give up and have a Bluetoothless car so is anyone else having this problem and have you found a solution? I use the Bluetooth connection with an iPhone 4S to make calls but also to play music through the car. I know I can use the hardwire connection but I prefer to have the wireless system.

Incidentally, another thread comments on the poor radio reception. As 3G gets better I have found that using the BBC radio app on the phone to receive radio and then stream through the stereo is excellent. I had a 180 mile journey on M40/M6/M56 recently with very little drop in signal. It does, however, relying on you wanting to listen to the Beeb!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

My Bluetooth works fine with iphone 4 but the feedback from everyone I call is that the background noise in the car means they cannot hear me so it is actually useless and so i have given up. Even at low speeds around town!

Interested to hear any others experience?

Mine works fine, except I have to turn Bluetooth off then back on on my phone at times iPhone 4.

My bluetooth has stopped working recently, I've not got around to trouble shooting it yet as (A) it's no biggy to connect the phone in the glovebox each time I use the car and (B) no-one ever phones me anyway so the phone function is not required! :lol:

Similar experience. Bluetooth worked around 4-5 times when I drove the car away from the dealers. Then stopped. Hasn't worked since, some 6 months later. I really do need it to work using my Blackberry Pearl so its one of the things that is being taken care of under warranty on Monday at JCT600 amongst some other bits and bobs.

When it worked it was really good. Shame really, but might get better with a new unit.

Apparently the problem centres around the lack of B-Sting Ariel on the roof of the car. The wiring for the ariel etc is hidden in the A-Pillars I believe, due to aethetic reasons of Lotus wanting clean lines etc. This has caused all manor of connectivity problems with Navs and Bluetooth.

That's for FM radio reception, nothing to do with Bluetooth or GPS.

Correct, not related.

A workaround we've found is to have your blackberry (or other device) connect manually rather than automatically.  If I leave it on auto-connect BT I can get the BT music but not any phone or contacts access (incoming calls works fine).  If I shut off my BT and then turn it on again it connects just fine.

Similar experience. Bluetooth worked around 4-5 times when I drove the car away from the dealers. Then stopped. Hasn't worked since, some 6 months later. I really do need it to work using my Blackberry Pearl so its one of the things that is being taken care of under warranty on Monday at JCT600 amongst some other bits and bobs.

When it worked it was really good. Shame really, but might get better with a new unit.

Scott, please do let us know if the new unit fixes the problem but wait until you've used it several times.  As mentioned, I have now had two new units fitted, both of which worked about five times before stopping connecting automatically.  The dealer is going to speak to Alpine again to see if they have heard of the problem (which I'm sure they must have).

Whilst this all may seem a bit picky, I do like things like this to just work.  I know I can connect the phone manually but this is not the same as just jumping into the car and going as with the Bluetooth unit in my other cars.  Connecting manually kind of defeats the object of having the system in the first place.  Also, if I connect the iPhone to listen to music it automatically starts playing the first alphabetical track (ABC by the Jackson 5) which, however much I may like it, I don't want to hear it every time!

I've had an auto-pair problem with my iphone 4S for some time, where it would pair initially but would not autopair once returning to the car. Resurrection of a query on S3loc prompted me to speak to a very helpful tech at Alpine.

He suggested pairing my phone at position 2 as previously advised but also rather than put the key in the ignition, put seatbelt on etc and then crank the engine, to keep the key out of the ignition until ready to crank straight away - he thought that the pairing was probably starting and then crashing part way through when I cranked the engine.

Having got home I paired two of the kids phones at positions 1 & 2 and my iPhone at position 3 to delay the 'auto pair handshake', I then cranked the engine as soon as putting the keys in the iginition and it seems to now auto-pair after repeated tests.
Although the phone logo doesn't seem to appear at the bottom of the screen initially it does after accessing the telephone source as if making a phonecall.

Hopefully the above makes sense.

:huh: Did they not expect this unit to be fitted to a car that needed turning on and off occasionally! 

:huh: Did they not expect this unit to be fitted to a car that needed turning on and off occasionally! 

You'd think!! :huh:

Apparently the Alpine Tech said that they tend to use the innards of the KCE-250 module for their onboard bluetooth as its more reliable/stable than the KCE-400. He was suggesting changing to this - I said I wasn't keen having previously taken off the dashtop to fit the imprint module - biggish job which I'd have to build up to in order to repeat!!!

My story is using an iPhone 4S it never matches automatically for outgoing calls so if you touch on the Telephone button it says nothing connected but if I dial out using my phone then as soon as it rings or connects (can't remember) it starts coming out through the system as designed.  No problems being heard. 

Incoming calls seem to come straight in from memory.  That so rarely happens that frankly I have given up worrying as the complete unit is ballast as far as I am concerned. 

It is shit at everything (well apart from the measured speedo function maybe) having experienced enough similar type units in other cars.  However as I only do about <5K miles a year I have given up.  When whinging and bitching about this to dealer over last 18 months he used the classic TADTS line (even in his own personal Evora) and said it was a software issue with Alpine and iPhone on the newer updates.

Right the above strategy didn't provide a long term solution so back to the drawing board with assistance from Alpine Technical.

Barry at Alpine sent me an Alpine HCE-250BT bluetooth module which is more stable than the HCE-400BT but doesn't have the audio streaming feature (not an issue as I have an ipod in the glovebox).

I managed to fit this by removing the instrument pack and reaching in behind the dash and extracting the 400 bluetooth module and swapping over the connections for headunit, mic & power.

Removal of the instrument pack was as per Lotus service notes with the exception of removing the instruments still attached to the support bracket as the allen bolts attaching the bracket are difficult to reach and extremely stubborn. The bracket is fixed by a bolt either side of the wheel also used to fix/support the main fascia.

Might sound complicated but certainly within the scope of a keen amateur tinkerer.

Iphone now pairs reliably without any aggravation - phew!!!

I believe Alpine are going to contact Lotus with details of the fix.

Edited by SIMONRP