free hit
counters
V8 cambelts - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
david hopwood

V8 cambelts

could anyone please reccomend where the best place is to have V8 cam belts replaced,I,ve heard so many horror stories even by main dealers(I dont mind travelling)

thanks

Dave Hopwood

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I would take mine to the Lotus Factory. Roy took his and said their prices are reasonable too!

I would take mine to the Lotus Factory. Roy took his and said their prices are reasonable too!

cheers dave ps the car is running a lot cooler since the new rad was fitted,the fans have never been on even in standing traffic

Dave Hopwood

Yep, it's one of the few things the factory do well.

Relatively cheap and a quick turnaround - though you may have to wait a month or two to get through the door!

Also some independents (e.g. Paul Matty) won't touch the V8 cambelts.

May: DON'T hit it with a hammer!

Clarkson: Why?

May: Cause it's the tool of a pikey.

I'm talking 18 months ago....

The receptionist at Ribble Lotus, still quoted me for the original factory Lotus service intervals from the 1996 manual and said the Cambelt change wasn't due for at least another 30,000 miles. Despite me phoning back later and raising a question about this they said they were still correct. Which told me they were clueless/dangerous and way out of date....

Christopher Neil in Norwich Cheshire (North West) quoted me correctly (based on info from the LEW website) from the Lotus service manual using the 'C' revision of the service schedule (which said a cam belt change was due)...

Job done, and well done (including new tyres and wheels reconditioned), some excellent feedback as to other jobs to do/ future jobs pending not many miles away.. well impressed they seemed to cover everything (it was a full 'c' service and that's what I asked for)... Thank you Christopher Neil now 18 months later I can say I have no complaints...

The only think that did really pissed me off with them was the lack of 'in your face' face to face honesty about the 'engine out' requirement on the cam changer... Even eye to eye ball, face to face, they insisted on maintaining the pretence that the Cam belt change can only be done with the engine taken out...

I really don't have a problem with paying the standard factory quoted hourly rate (that's the way car servicing industry works, I know!) but don't dare looking me in the face and tell me straight lies like that ..

My cam belt was changed engine IN, absolutely no doubt in my mind, several hoses and several nuts hadn't been moved from new when I got the car back.....

So on a 'commercial' basis I'd recommend them... But as with all profit making organisations 'Buyer Beware'..

J

PS. Whilst I'm on it. My wife has an AUDI and AUDI UK really, really are a bag of sh.t.. the last JD power survey said so and its true. The local dealers have sold me the wrong oil. The wrong replacement wing mirror glass, but insisting it was correct till I made the parts manager sit in the drivers seat and looking into it (oh and they insisted on having the car for a full day to change the glass an 30 second job!) The wrong dash board light bulb. Audi UK have left me without a car for 3 whole days following a break down when the cause of the breakdown was dealt with as a full recall of 650,000 in the rest of Europe by VW/Audi - UK owners had to break down and loose the car for a few for the same faulty manufactured part... I have had to replace the wheel centre trims, due to excessive corrosion (3 years and 15,000 miles only), I've rejected 9 due to faults (dents and inconsistent finish) and had to make 4 visits to my local dealer before being able to make up a viable set of 4....

PPS. The single micro LED that has failed on the dash pod on the speedo (one of four that light the speedo) means that AUDI is telling me I need a complete new dash pod to fix it, they are really taking the piss at

Edited by jeff_hooper

I'm talking 18 months ago....

The receptionist at Ribble Lotus, still quoted me for the original factory Lotus service intervals from the 1996 manual and said the Cambelt change wasn't due for at least another 30,000 miles. Despite me phoning back later and raising a question about this they said they were still correct. Which told me they were clueless/dangerous and way out of date....

Christopher Neil in Norwich Cheshire (North West) quoted me correctly (based on info from the LEW website) from the Lotus service manual using the 'C' revision of the service schedule (which said a cam belt change was due)...

Job done, and well done (including new tyres and wheels reconditioned), some excellent feedback as to other jobs to do/ future jobs pending not many miles away.. well impressed they seemed to cover everything (it was a full 'c' service and that's what I asked for)... Thank you Christopher Neil now 18 months later I can say I have no complaints...

The only think that did really pissed me off with them was the lack of 'in your face' face to face honesty about the 'engine out' requirement on the cam changer... Even eye to eye ball, face to face, they insisted on maintaining the pretence that the Cam belt change can only be done with the engine taken out...

I really don't have a problem with paying the standard factory quoted hourly rate (that's the way car servicing industry works, I know!) but don't dare looking me in the face and tell me straight lies like that ..

My cam belt was changed engine IN, absolutely no doubt in my mind, several hoses and several nuts hadn't been moved from new when I got the car back.....

So on a 'commercial' basis I'd recommend them... But as with all profit making organisations 'Buyer Beware'..

J

PS. Whilst I'm on it. My wife has an AUDI and AUDI UK really, really are a bag of sh.t.. the last JD power survey said so and its true. The local dealers have sold me the wrong oil. The wrong replacement wing mirror glass, but insisting it was correct till I made the parts manager sit in the drivers seat and looking into it (oh and they insisted on having the car for a full day to change the glass an 30 second job!) The wrong dash board light bulb. Audi UK have left me without a car for 3 whole days following a break down when the cause of the breakdown was dealt with as a full recall of 650,000 in the rest of Europe by VW/Audi - UK owners had to break down and loose the car for a few for the same faulty manufactured part... I have had to replace the wheel centre trims, due to excessive corrosion (3 years and 15,000 miles only), I've rejected 9 due to faults (dents and inconsistent finish) and had to make 4 visits to my local dealer before being able to make up a viable set of 4....

PPS. The single micro LED that has failed on the dash pod on the speedo (one of four that light the speedo) means that AUDI is telling me I need a complete new dash pod to fix it, they are really taking the piss at

Dave Hopwood

Sportomotive in Salisbury.

They do mine . Dave told me if your not doing the mileage then tension every 2 yrs and belts changed every four and i think they charge something like 2hrs and 4 hrs respecively my bill for a tension check last month was

Also some independents (e.g. Paul Matty) won't touch the V8 cambelts.

Paul Mattys did the cam belts on Renu's sport 350 a couple of years ago and at a bettr price than any main dealer I priced. Chris Neils were going to do then but lost their qualified tech, waited for months for them to replace him or get somone else trained, so went to Pauls.

The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself.

Friedrich Nietzsche

find me on Tripadvisor

http://www.tripadvis...mbers/espritguy

Quick reply, but I was going to post a full story at some time. Paul Mattey will definitely touch the cambelts, as they have just done a complete engine rebuild on mine with 8 new pistons, liners etc and replacing all cam and aux belts, so I'm not sure where this comes from.

500miles so far with no problems (gulp). Honestly the car terrifies me at th emoment, I am listening for the slightest note out of the normal.

Phil B