free hit
counters
Engine lifting brackets - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
jammy-pop

Engine lifting brackets

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

..sure -for those who can't DIY  :D

lol

Come on Jammy boi where's your Heath Robbinson spirit! You must be able to coble something up with a few bits of washing machine and length of rope!

Buddsy

A few bits and pieces Buddsy. LH head has a slight crack which is more or less fixed but need better access to do it properly. New stainless steel exhaust manifold studs, cambelt change, fuel tank inspections and a general good clean up while the engine bay is empty.

New clutch plates too while the gearbox is out as that was one of the main reasons for the decision to take it off the road.

I'm enjoying it so far!!

Steve.

Hi Steve I am going to be taking the engine out of my V8 soon too, for similar reasons to yours.

How long did it take you to get the engine out?

Do you have the car on a 2-post lift?

I have the official workshop manual to hand, but any tips would be very gratefully received - and yes, I think I will be fabricating my own brackets too! :-)

Cheers

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

Never having taken the engine out before, it probably took longer than it should do. I was only doing a bit at a time as in no hurry to get the work done. It all depends how easily things come off. For instance, I had to cut all 6 bolts off the exhaust to turbos as they were too corroded to get a spanner on them so all adds to the total time. I would say about 2-3 days it took me if I added all the hours up, but not really sure. If the car is not your main one, there is no rush anyway.

The car is on axle stands. My biggest mistake was not having the car high enough as I couldn't get underneath properly to disconnect some of the more awkward hoses near the chassis and also the alternator connections. I took the gearbox out separately which then meant I needed a long reach engine hoist as the COG moves further back. I then managed to undo the rest of the connections once I'd lifted the engine and moved it away from the bulkhead a bit.

Someone gave me a good tip to disconnect the driveshafts by undoing the gaiter and pulling the spider out of the hub. Saves trying to get the roll pins out and then having to seal them again which I've heard is a horrible job!

Make sure you don't use old tin cans as lifting brackets ;)

If you need anymore help, just shout and I'll try and answer using my newly aquired knowledge!

Cheers,

Steve.

..Saves trying to get the roll pins out and then having to seal them again which I've heard is a horrible job!

Steve.

it is not rocket sience there, just use stronger (bigger) O-rings than the factory ones inside on the differential shafts  ..and glue the splines with the same stuff you seal the engine-sump for example.

If your radial sealings run on a undamaged surface you can use them several years, and even 'reuse' them after gearbox/engine-out works done there