free hit
counters
Newey better than Chapman - Motorsport - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Newey better than Chapman

pete

According to Christian Horner ,Adrian Newey is now arguably the best ever designer in F1 perhaps even surpassing what Colin Chapman acheived.Think he may have a point although it is always difficult to compare   

anybody from different eras in any sport.

Anybody else agree with Horner

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like Christian's been at the fizzy drinks again, ( one of the perks of the job... ). 

Newey's undoubtably a genuis and he does have a Chapmanesque approach to the rule book, but Chapman was a true innovator and on top of the design aspect Chapman ran Team Lotus,  plus he put together a pretty damn good road car company too. Newey's got about 10% of what Chapman had on his plate, ok... it's a high pressure job but designing a very fast pram for young Vettel doesn't really stack up against the legacy Chapman achieved in his lifetime.

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)

I agree, Stirling_V.  Chapman was a huge innovator introducing major revolutions in car design while Newey is a supreme developer making the most of a very limiting set of rules with his main strength being aerodynamics while Chapman's genius touched all areas of the car.

However, it would be interesting to see what Newey would do if the regulations were still as open as they were in Chapman's day.

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

Christian is probably one of the most able team managers of recent times so he would say that about Newey ;-) Chapman blazed a trail for others to follow, I think of Colin as a man way ahead of his time, Adrian the very brightest of his generation.

+1 Stiring

However, it would be interesting to see what Newey would do if the regulations were still as open as they were in Chapman's day.

We'll see next year as cars wil be completely different compared to this year. 1.6 v6 engines, turbo's, unlimited KERS etc so the cars wil be so much different, the most reliable and combined with the best aero efficient package, will win.

Calypso Rose Rules the World!

With Stirling on this, I also doubt CC had the amount of money behind him for Lotus that Newey/CH have at their disposal for design/developement of the F1 cars

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

In the last decade, Newey DID NOT design the winning car in 95 & 99. Better record than anyone IMHO. Look at Chapman's record, there were some great cars, but there were also some duffers. Newey must have a great skill in finding the innovations, and also rejecting the blind alleys quickly. It seems a different game these days, Chapman created a car with two chassis; in recent years the issues have been tiny, such as a bit too much flex in a wing end plate

Its like trying to say whether Fangio, Clark, Senna, or Schumacher were the best.  Different eras, different requirements.  Didn't see Horner's quote, the the OP stated "what Chapman accomplished".

Chapman started a team from nothing, spurred innovation multiple times that changed the entire design of the car and won championships over 2 decades and races over 3.

Certainly Newey is a genius and if I had an F1 team at present I'd want him on it.  But todays F1 requires tiny incremental developments and fine tuning rather than the radical game changers that Chapman was known for.  (Keep in mind, however, that even by the mid 60's Chapman had other men like Len Terry and Maurice Phillipe in his design office).

Kyle Kaulback

Newey's skill is allowing his team to come up with new ideas then make them happen and brings them together. He has admitted he doesn't design the cars himself so much.

Colin was from a different era obviously. I'm not sure how he'd have worked in today's world, but can you imagine them together?

If ever the phrase "they broke the mold" applied to a man, it would be in reference to Chapman. There'll be no duplicating his unique combination of insight, passion, engineering prowess, and sheer chutzpah in our lifetimes.  

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

• Gold FFM

to be a little provocative on this:

*list of all cars (road & race) Chapman did on his own ..so engineerd in full

it's your turn, if someone knows the details -fill them in please

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

A pointless point.

Caught between a rock and a hard place in a catch 22 situation, So its 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Your damned if you do, but your damned if you don't so shut your cock!!!!!!!!!!!

Lotus Espirt Turbo S3    

Lotus Esprit S4 

Lotus Elise S2 Sport 130

pig_zps6d7342f1.jpg

• Gold FFM

why, it was said there that this other guy does not all for his own, he uses a team of engineers to help

..so the question is , did Mr. Chapman never use a 'team' ?

What was MJKs role, or the one of Brian Angus and all the others ?

-it needs a team to fullfill ideas with reality ..thats what I mean. You can be an great inventor, but the reality of industrial products you can sell and make several of it is only possible if you have a team. So the main difference between both men is just that the later is not in the job so long to fullfill the same heritage & tradition

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

• 2 weeks later...

Just read this today:

He says often that the FIA's constant crusade against innovation is frustrating.

"We should be careful that the rules don't restrict the inventive spirit. The beauty of Formula One is the struggle of man against man but also machine against machine.

Sounds like someone we know and love.

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-newey-last-minute-ban-spoiled-red-bulls-2012-start/

Kyle Kaulback