free hit
counters
New Esprit? - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

New Esprit?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me neither, but as it was expected 2013 when it was all announced in Paris I was thinking about it as I was reading the "coming section".  Then the next page had a large picture of the Esprit, much to my surprise!

Their peice mentioned no official news but unofficial reports of it being canned,

The utter lack of any official story coming from Lotus is incredibly damaging. Lotus P.R. wasn't that hot under Bahar, but it seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth now.

Even a tiny company with 2 or 3 people in it usually manages some sort of coherent management of news.

It's as though the new owners have no interest in the short and medium term, and are just looking for someone to take it off their hands.

They're all in Malaysia for a dealership opening tomorrow but there's already a thread for this sort of discussion elsewhere. As for the new Esprit, I don't think there are many people left on the team but its not been completely buried yet.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Echoes of the M250 keep making me think no. On the positive side all owners of 350's and late Esprit's could be rubbing their hand together as the owners of the last big Lotus produced.

On the positive side all owners of 350's and late Esprit's could be rubbing their hand together as the owners of the last big Lotus produced.

It is rather a nice position to be in, eh David?  Still, it's way past time for the next iteration to make an appearance. I suppose that DRB see themselves in "cross that bridge when we come to it" mode at the moment, as they (hopefully) concentrate on keeping the marque alive via sales of existing models.

If Lotus survives this latest historical bump in the road, it is (in my mind at least) a virtual certainty that the Esprit will be reincarnated at some point. I cannot imagine things otherwise. Meanwhile I will be "forced" to tool about the boulevards and highways as ancestral ambassador of the marque. :)

Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.

It is rather a nice position to be in, eh David?  Still, it's way past time for the next iteration to make an appearance. I suppose that DRB see themselves in "cross that bridge when we come to it" mode at the moment, as they (hopefully) concentrate on keeping the marque alive via sales of existing models.

If Lotus survives this latest historical bump in the road, it is (in my mind at least) a virtual certainty that the Esprit will be reincarnated at some point. I cannot imagine things otherwise. Meanwhile I will be "forced" to tool about the boulevards and highways as ancestral ambassador of the marque. :)

I'd have thought that exploiting a bit more power out of the current Evora to make it appeal more to dedicated Lotus Esprit owners would have been a good idea.

As I'm sure many people would perhaps not be too happy with the sort of cost the car will probably be either as it will have to compete in a very tough market

I'd have thought that exploiting a bit more power out of the current Evora to make it appeal more to dedicated Lotus Esprit owners would have been a good idea.

As I'm sure many people would perhaps not be too happy with the sort of cost the car will probably be either as it will have to compete in a very tough market

Yes a GTE road version of the Evora with 435+ bhp and weighing in at 1315kgs or under would compete with Porsche, Audi etc and keep me very happy even at £120K or there abouts

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

..the Esprit will be reincarnated at some point...

'reincarnated' right .. whereas we all fly with sero-gravity shoes and eat meals out from an replicator, and watch out for the galactic *solar speed racers* championship via direct nano implant view receptors in our eyes.. in other words where the Esprit will be all, but not "new"  ;)

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Yes a GTE road version of the Evora with 435+ bhp and weighing in at 1315kgs or under would compete with Porsche, Audi etc and keep me very happy even at £120K or there abouts

I am surprised we haven't heard much about the GTE in recent months. Remember this was the model that was originally restricted to just 25 units for China (IIRC) but proved so popular, with well over 100 orders, DB decided to commit to production and homologation for Europe.

Despite rave reviews in the summer, such as Top Gear's test drive, there has been no hint of production versions emerging from the factory. Which is a real shame.

http://www.topgear.com/uk/photos/Lotus-Evora-GTE-vs-the-Stig-2012-07-12

I was told that they'd even paid the money into the bank! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I just can't see a new Esprit ever turning up, sorry it's been going on so long now.

In the same time the other players have launched and retired multiple models.

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

At this rate, my chief worry is that when the Esprit does finally emerge, I'll be more interested in the carbon fibre lotus zimmer frame.

...actually, given the demographics of an ageing population, do you suppose this is the product that will finally rescue the company?

At this rate, my chief worry is that when the Esprit does finally emerge, I'll be more interested in the carbon fibre lotus zimmer frame.

...actually, given the demographics of an ageing population, do you suppose this is the product that will finally rescue the company?

..so go -start to make more kids -

..as far as it goes for now those will be old enough then, to get a job and have enough money to insure this car on private base ..my guess it is in 30-40 years or so, and the car will not be called a Esprit anymore, or Lotus for that matter

..again .. "go and make babies" -that's what all the demographs say !

:D

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

David

that sounds good plenty of room behind the front seats to move the engine baulkhead forward, Tony are you aware if MJK looked into this when he was at the helm? 

Darryl & Sue

Proud to drive and own since new a true British supercar the Evora GT430

It wouldn't be bad idea coupled with a few traditional Lotus S2 restyled bit here and there. The rear seats come in handy occasionally though and losing those coupled with the extra oomph would change the character of the car a lot, fingers crossed the Esprit is still in whatever plans DRB may have...

Currently having an illicit affair with another marque, be back in the fold one day... B-)