free hit
counters
About to remove drive shafts pins.Advise needed.S4 Esprit. - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
espritmania

About to remove drive shafts pins.Advise needed.S4 Esprit.

Hi,I am now at the stage to remove the drive shaft pins.Does anybody have the tool I could hire or the best advise of getting them out as I do not want to mess it up.Cheers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Is this to take the box out?  If so, you can separate the inner driveshaft joints in seconds, then do the pins on the bench - much easier.

Inner first.

Yes ,the engine and are coming out.How do you sepetate the inner drive shaft joints??

Undo the band around the gater and it will pull out when the driveshaft is pulled back. Beware the grease will now be oil not loads but makes a mess.

Edited by mdw

Hi,back again.I am still having trouble with these pins,at the moment I have done no damage.But I am a bit flummoxed.I have been talking to various people and these pins should punch out but I seem to have a steel collar stopping them.I will try to attach a photo.What do you think??

Have you got a pic from the parts manual which might show you better what you are looking at.  They will punch out just be careful to use the correct size punch and not fowl the pins on the way out on parts of the casing. Plus do as Sparky said and split at the joint/gater and do the rest on the bench.  Its much easier to put them back that way as well.

No i carefully cut mine off with side cutters ( I think) being carefull not to damage the gater. You may be able to slide it off the gater towards the g/box.

Edited by mdw

Ok,if you cut the clip off do you put a plastic tie back on or do I need something better also are there any clips under the

gater that I need to undo?

no clips under the gater, it just pulls straight out  and you can pick the gater clips up off ebay or your local motor factors.

ebay no170958447418

Edited by mdw

From memory I think I did the bottom links.

Given that the transmission cases are made of aluminium alloy, I'm surprised that no-one has suggested placing a support under the driveshaft whilst punching out the pins. I used a block of wood with a vee cut into it, supported by a trolley jack.

I also went and bought a couple of brand new pin punches for the occasion, which, when assisted by a 4lb club hammer were extremely effective in shifting the pins first tap!

Success,thanks to the 4lb hammer and punch.

What put me off my stroke was the fact that there was only one pin fitted.

Only things left are to disconnect PAS and water pipes then engine mounts,hopefully out by the weekend ready for degrease and refurb.Thanks for your help. 

When you refit the pins make sure you follow the workshop manual as they have to be fitted in a particular way.