free hit
counters
How do you load an Esprit onto a flatbed? - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
markt

How do you load an Esprit onto a flatbed?

Can anyone advise what’s the correct way to load a Guigiaro Esprit onto a flatbed towtruck, and where can I safely attach the winch hook? I really don’t want to crack any bodywork or bend anything and don’t want to risk driving it on.

The car’s just been cleared by customs after a three month voyage sailing from the other side of the world and has been drained of fuel, has a flat battery etc. I want to carefully re-commission her when I get home and don’t fancy taking chances at the freight depot.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. And yes I have had a search :help:

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well its best to drive it on (!) but given that you dont want to do that, then it depends how low an angle flatbed you can get. My trailer/ramps is/are low enough to winch onto using one of the front lower suspension arms. I only have a manual winch so there's no great or sudden forces applied and I've never yet bent anything. On the other hand I've only ever done it by winch twice. The real problem of course is making sure the line doesn't contact/pressure the front air dam, but as I said, if your ramp angles are shallow enough then it can be made to work. There's some conventional wisdom that says the car should be put on backwards. I tried this once (driving - not winched) and would never do it again. The car is not designed to pass through the air backwards at speed for some time. Most of the contents of the various air exit pathways deposited themselves all over the interior and it took ages to find all the debris and get it cleaned up again.

As far as I rember (sorry I am not 100% sure) long time ago my '90 Stevens Esprit SE was towed by the Lotus-importer backwards on a flatbed. The cable was fixed to the lower rear part of the chassis at the position where you can lift the rear part of the car.  

The hangover at the front of the Esprit is longer as at the back. The maximum possible angle a pullcable can make without damaging the skirts is larger at the back than at the front. Moreover as soon as the back is climbing the flatbed (over additional wooden planking) the angle of the front of the Esprit with the ground is approx./somewhat only half of the angle when it would have been towed at the front. As far as I remember we payed extra attention in watching evt. hitting of the front skirt on the ground in this backwards operation but this did not occur. (Eventually you can position some thin planking on the ground during the tow so the front wheels are rolling a little raised arranging more distance of the skirt to the ground, just before the moment they otherwise would have hit the ground)

More info:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/help-how-properly-tow-esprit-108155/

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/51244-towing-an-esprit/

Good luck,

Ruud

Edited by Ruud

Thanks for the advise! I've asked the tow company to make sure they pack extra planks to reduce the angle.

I'll see what will give me more clearance either nose or bum first, will take some pics and let you know how I get on.

It's been 6 years, 3 owners and another continent since I sold her, so looking forward to getting her home again.

The reason they go on backwards is so that the heavy end is in front of the trailer axle, resulting in downwards pressure at the tow hook. Upwards pressure can be tricky as when the car/trailer go over a bump the rear of the trailer gets heavy and front gets light, making the back of the car very light and can result in the car being harder to control. 

With an Esprit being mid engined, as long as you get the car as far forward as you can so the weight is as close to the axle as possible, it's not so bad.

This worked for me......500 miles and no worries!

post-568-0-24832900-1357819932.jpg

Thanks everyone, and was quite easy as it turns out :)

Tow truck driver, knew exactly what he was doing. He's the guy the company sends out for all the high end sportscars and exotics. Done a few TVR's and Lotus'. Extended the ramps, used a sling around the lower arm, slowly winched it up, secured and off it went. Ended up driving the car anyway, as the truck couldn't negotiate the dogleg on my driveway. A few pics to mark the event.

110120131311_zpsa97bfa49.jpg

Extended Ramps

110120131312_zpsf59751b8.jpg

Canvas sling, winch hook and plenty of clearance

110120131317_zps8ed8b2dd.jpg

Loaded up

110120131323_zpsfde75197.jpg

On the way home.

Thanks Ruud - Spent a pleasant weekend cleaning and re-acquainting myself with the car.

Off to the workshop tomorrow for a thorough inspection and the first step to getting the car complied and on the road.