free hit
counters
plywood "crash structure" by headlamp pods - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mat grant

plywood "crash structure" by headlamp pods

Hi,

Has anyone replaced the plywood "crash structure" pieces inside the front of the car next to the headlamp pods?

I need to replace mine as the fibreglass at the rear of this pod is now a different shape because it is modified to pick up the excel chassis mounts.

I noticed Nick on his eclat restoration page said he replaced his, I sent him an email but not had a response yet.

If anyone can tell me what wood they used, where they sourced it, how they fitted it, and if they did any weatherproof treatment I would really appreciate it.

Thanks, Mat.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I did it on one of mine several years ago. I used marine ply (it's made with waterproof glue) I think it was 19mm and got it form a DIY store. I just cut it to shape using cardboard templates and fibreglassed it in then painted it. I think I spray painted the cut edges to help reduce the water soaking in, not so much that it became a smooth painted surface, just enough to block up the root for water absorption a bit.

Thanks!

Doing a cardboard templete is a good idea.

I'm finding it hard to reconcile the words "plywood" and "crash structure" but anyway, I'll fit them.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers, Mat.