free hit
counters
help fitting an ap racing kit - any photos? - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
andyf

help fitting an ap racing kit - any photos?

hi,

if anyone that has fitted the sj sportscars ap racing disc and caliper kit to an SE has photos they could post here I would be most greatful. Without any drawings there seem to be many permutations for fitting but all seem to rub in one way or another so I would like to at least start with things the right way round before getting out the file!

Unfortunately the pictures on lotus esprit world don't show the caliper brackets or bell in enough detail.

Cheers

Andy

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

yeah, it is quite surprising, then again the thread gauge was also wrong for the the caliper bracket mounts (1.25 vs 1.75) so they brackets have been back once already to the mfr who supplied me with some replacement bolts.

I guess the problem is that the 90s cars were a bit random from the parts bins affairs... I've had my SE for 15 years and many bits have had to be made for it now so I'm sort of used to it but since I don't have a milling machine looks like it'll not be ready for the track day next weekend :(

For reference you can take a look at my Brembo racing brakes, AP brakes, and Wilwood brake photos on my Picasaweb link below. Though I have not installed the SJ AP kit. There is an install guide for AP online, and a better one for Brembo, including mounting tolerances. Will try to dig that up.

just for interest I've tried mounting the bell reversed and mounting the disc to the inside of the bell as opposed to outside so the disc still is correct in respect of rotation as per ap racing specs. Mounting it this way actually makes the interior of the disc less obstructed from an air flow point of view and moves the internal disc position about 1.5 mm futher which may give just enough clearance without a modification. I am now wondering if it is actually supposed to be this way given there is a chamfer on the inside of the bell where it fits over the hub now sits hub side which makes more sense .

The thing is this seems to be different to the two other pics I found where people have fitted this kit (although at least one had modify it to work that way)

The caliper is still not perfectly central but it is definitely better, but does this mean the other people have it fitted incorrectly? Is it even ok to fit the bell this way round?

If i can figure out how to upload a picture to this forum i'll do that in a bit

cheers

thanks travis, will take a look

The first 12 pages of this Brembo catalog has very important information about the proper fit and installation of a racing brake system, including mounting tolerances.

http://www.brembo.com/it/Auto/Racing/Prodotti-Competizioni/Documents/Catalogo_Prodotti_Racing_2011.pdf

This information will be useful for AP calipers as well.

Though I am not familiar with the SJ setup, that is how the original Sport 300 (and my KVR knockoff kit) are mounted.

ok cool, thanks sanj - i think it makes more sense this way and both the brembo doc travis posted and the ap racing brochure I found online seem to suggest it is ok to do it this way so will go with it and see what happens

Just in case anyone was interested, it turns out the way I had set the discs up was correct, I managed to get a copy of the original CAD drawings that confirmed it, so it appears a few people may out there may have the bells inverted.

In the end the brackets needed a mm skimming off to get the calipers centeralised +-0.5mm, big thanks to Steve at SJ and David at BG developments that re-milled the brackets to size in time to get the car ready for a track day even though the rest of the uk ground to a halt in the snow