free hit
counters
unexplained creak solved - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
toyroom

unexplained creak solved

My car lives in an integral garage and just as I leave the building, about 15 seconds after closing the tailgate, there was a loud creak from the back of the car. For the last 3 months, closing the right side of the tailgate has made an incredible racket composed of creaks and groans. Worried about losing the tailgate release, I tried all kinds of lubing around the pins, wires, springs etc.

The solution: over thr years, the (already manufactured at the wrong angle) luggage compartment light switch bracket has bent forwards causing it to slide a short distance (with a loud creak) as the lid is closed. Removed the floor to weld the right exhaust and while it was out, removed the light bracket and bent it so theat the switch is now exactly perpendicular to the closing tailgate lower surface. Solved! I doubt this would have lead to any kind of failure, but another worrying noise has been defeated. I hope this helps anyone with the same issue.

Edited by toyroom

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.