free hit
counters
Jessops - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2013/01/weathering-the-jessops-administration/

^ Employee's take on it. Sounds like working for pretty much any retailer nowadays I guess.

Anyway, my 600D was in for a repair to the d-pad on the back, I picked it up about an hour after the news broke so was very lucky or I'd be out a £600 camera! It's not all good luck though, having picked it up it's not been fixed by their agent very well and they've introduced a new problem (blurring around the focal points) and are now saying it's normal. Not happy! 

I've always bought from Jessops since they do match online prices and it's nice to have a shop to take it back to when it goes wrong. It's going back to the repair centre now (a really small camera shop in Southborough!) who are denying there's anything wrong with it, I see a visit to small claims on the horizon!! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closed. All the shops have been boarded up! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs there is a Canon repair centre in Colchester, they are very very very good. They do warranty work etc.

I don't think Jessops could work out what it was, was it a camera retailer with expertise or was it a snappy snaps offering prints in store etc.. Like many of the other electronic retailers they just cannot carry all the stock compared to the likes of amazon. These days it's easier if you what you want to order it online rather than trapse round the stores to find they don't have it.

Edited by red vtec

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

First Jessops, then HMV and now Blockbusters...! 

I'm amazed the last 2 lasted so long as it goes! 

Evora NA

Is it recession or is it online/Internet taking over?

Just my 2p but I can't see high street book shops or travel agents lasting the distance.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

As per the link I posted, when jessops are selling a memory card at £40 which amazon sell for £16, I bet the person who wrote that sign shops online themselves.

Evora NA

Is it recession or is it online/Internet taking over?

Just my 2p but I can't see high street book shops or travel agents lasting the distance.

This  time of year its poor xmas sales then hit shortly after by quarterly rent due and vat but probably internet is the main cause.  The shop in Maidstone is probably paying £30k rates plus 60k rent plus all the rest.  And most people pop in to try and then buy of the net. 

Get used to not being able to try a lot of things before you buy  and a very small range where you can.  In my trade we hit this 6-7 years ago and i simply stopped doing anything that didnt make a decent profit. I rented out our main comercial building and now I still make the same profit but offer the customers a much reduced service.  Sad and I dont like having to do it but thats the way it goes.  Far from the net opening things up for the consumer its closed them down.  We have found once the price slasher get their claws into a product a lot of dealers drop it like a hot cake. No support, no backup just a " ring the people you bought it from 300 miles away".

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21285587

Peter Jones has purchased the 'brand' and IP (and stock). Not sure what he gets out of it, unless he plans to relaunch as online only perhaps?

Evora NA