free hit
counters
Sunroof 'sex' facts - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Sorry, just making sure someone looked.

As a relative newby I have to ask all the questions which have been asked so many time before, for that I am sorry. But, sometimes, all the facts are there but not always where you can find them.

So, can someone give me a complete sunroof 'lowdown' for  the Stevens?

1. I have the solid roof.

Should this have a bag with it ?

Either with or without the bag, where should it be stowed when driving to keep it safe.

2. Did the cars come with a sunroof also ?

3. I understand that a sunroof can be fitted if the correct seals are also used, am I right ?

4. Did the car come with a wind deflector ?

5. I guess the bag is the same for both types of roof, solid and glass.

I suppose the final question, can I still get a wind deflector, glass roof or a bag ?

Many thanks

Erik

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Should have a bag. People have been known to make their own with a plastic backed picnic blanket from argos, sown up with the soft (upper) side on the inside. Only put a solid sunroof in the boot in the bag. Although it rests on carpet, you'll end up with it scratched no doubt although it is harder to fit in there in a bag due to the tolerances which are tight at best. Personally, I used to leave it in the garage! 

Glass roofs were an option.

You need a thicker seal for the glass roof as it's thinner.

Should have come with a wind deflector but in 14+ years, it's been broken/lost/ebayed.

Same bag.

Keep an eye on our classifieds and ebay, deflectors and bags come up from time to time. I don't think they're available from Lotus anymore.

The wind deflectors are in the current sale apparently;

A082B4869K WIND DEFLECTOR (SP) 1988-2002 Esprit £127.86

Fill yer boots. These often sell for more 2nd hand on Ebay.

I presume it will be bare primer to paint & match but TBH they look better with a quick coat of satin black anyway

Erik, I have a spare wind deflector with no fittings and a small chip out of one corner (filler and paint to your colour needed) if its of any help pm me !

Thanks for the info

Although my mother-in-law looks like Shrek, she is a dab hand with the 'needle and thread', looks like a visit is in order.

You're lucky. Mine's a ringer for Donkey.

On 1/16/2013 at 21:15, LooseCannon said:
The wind deflectors are in the current sale apparently;

A082B4869K WIND DEFLECTOR (SP) 1988-2002 Esprit £127.86

Fill yer boots. These often sell for more 2nd hand on Ebay.

I presume it will be bare primer to paint & match but TBH they look better with a quick coat of satin black anyway

There's a thought.

I have one in the same red as my car, but it is scratched. I might carbon fibre cover it.

Like the original post member here, I'm looking to acquire a deflector for my Stevens S3 and thought £30 - 50 was about right. 

There are 2 currently on eBay but by the time you've got them delivered and painted the right colour (mine is calypso red) it's £200+.

Although tempted, at this time of year it's not worth rushing out to buy one.

I presume they must all be sitting in the back of previous owners garages having forgot to pass them on to new owners?

Hopefully such 'previous owners' will read this, dust their redundant deflector down and put them on the market to increase supply/reduce price.

Ive got one but Ive never used it. Is there any point of them? They look a bit rubbish in place.

buddsy

The deflector is not very effective as I recall. Its such a PITA using the roof I never bother. I'd like a glass roof and would just leave it insitu.

I originally had the glass roof in mine, but because it weighs so much (about 8kg I seem to recall) it bounces around on it's fittings and is quite noisy and annoying. I'm not a fan of sunroofs anyway.

I made a carbon/kevlar replacement roof for mine (painted body colour.. too much carbon is a bit chavvy) and it weighs about 1kg. I had to trim a little off the opening area that it sits against as I didn't know if there was a thinner seal, and as my panel was bespoke, it probably wouldn't have been right anyway.

I used 2 layers of carbon, layer of kevlar, layer of PU foam, layer of kevlar, 2 layers of carbon. Man, it's strong! And the PU foam in the middle makes for an incredibly strong structure.

Not that hard to make either considering my rather novice carbon fibre skills! I'll post a writeup if anyone is interested.. although I don't have any photos while I was making it or anything.

Edited by Glyn Harper

Great skills to model your own sunroof section, I believe that I saw some carbon fibre replacements on PNM for several hundred pounds!

I note comments about whether a deflector makes any difference and/or looking naff etc, but for completeness I'll keep looking for something reasonably priced, now in time for next summer!.

• Like 1

If I didnt have one I would want one to complete the car.

Ive gone to go out on hot days and have taken the roof panel out  only to put it back in again. To me the car just doesn't look as good with the roof section out.

Tipping the back up looks better. I know it sounds a bit stupid but to me it just looks a bit wrong with the roof out.

buddsy

I have a deflector, but never used it. I do take the roof out regularly, main problem is it takes up most of the boot space so not possible when traveling with luggage or such. There is more wind noise and some turbulence, but it never bothered me to the point to try and fit the deflector. Looks aren't too bad either IMHO, an Esprit is always great to look (unlike some convertibles when closed) and when the heat is on I chose function over form anyway. Tilted up looks stunning, I agree!

BTW, when I read the title I was thinking somebody had gone and tried some 'exercise' in an Esprit and found he needed to remove to roof. :sofa: Now how do I get that idea out of my head again... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

Id take me hat off to anyone who has gotton jiggy in an Esprit! :zorro:

buddsy

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Surely somebody must me up to the challenge! Was it on Top Gear or Fith Gear that they found 2 flexible young ladies to effortlessly slide into the +2 seats of an Evora?

• Haha 1

I am not sure it would go down well with the ladies though,  Knowing most esprit owners they would be shouting " watch the leather " during the moment of passion lol, slighty of putting for the lass i should imagine !

• Haha 1

Just bought the yellow one recently for sale on Ebay at a reduced £100 including delivery and the sunroof bag.

Yep - I know I've paid too much especially at this time of year.

Just got to change the colour to matching calypso red (most likely) or try carbon effect wrap first as I've got some left over in the garage!

Thats not too bad. I think I paid £50.00 for the bag a few years back.

buddsy