free hit
counters
Replacing fuel tanks - S2 - Fuel System/Carbs - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Nelly

Replacing fuel tanks - S2

Hi all,

Its been a while since I posted on the tech forum, but my next job of replacing the fuel tanks in my car is upon me and as always I need a bit of help.

I have got (with Bibs help - thanks!) two good second hand tanks, had them shot blasted & painted and will be sealing them internally with POR15 - so the plan is old tanks out, new tanks in.

I have had a look at previous threads so I know its going to be a pain, but there are a couple of things I would like to know before I start - particularly from anyone who has done this before:

1) Am I likely to have to remove the pipework on the fuel filler holes which lead down from the body onto the tanks?

2) Where do the fuel lines leave the tanks - I though it was from underneath but having inspected the car it appears they exit from the tank side and then go through the bodywork under the car.

3) Are the tanks secured inside the car once in situ - I have read about securing them down but that only looks possible from the angled bracket on the side of the tank

I should be doing this in a couple of weeks, can't say I am loking forward to it but its something I really want done now!

Thanks for any help

Neil

Edited by Nelly9000

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hi Neil,

I can only help partially since I have an S3 but it must be similar.

In my resto thread, I have posted some pics of the tank rotation required on the drivers side.

Note that this is with the engine surround OFF.

http://www.thelotusforums.com/forums/topic/22404-1986-s3-na-project/page-5   post #92

As said, one of the main barriers to easy removal is the very stiff fuel inlet tubes but they dont have to be removed, just eased away to one side. Oh, and it seemes that scraping knuckes helps as well! At the time, my rear quarter lights were out too which helped.

2 - not sure on an S2. They are from underneath on mine - accessed via the 3 inch diameter inspection hole under the tank, then exit as you say, through bodywork then chassis.

3 - secured by bolt through body to the tank side bracket and also by the fit of the top tank board (tight with new foam/padding all around.

I actually found refitting the tanks more difficult, particularly on the drivers side. If they hadnt been my own tanks, I would have sworn they were the wrong size!!!

Simon

When I taken out my tanks on my S2.2 I remember that was not a difficult job but.... when I will have my new alloy tanks made I will ask for 1 centimeter less on all the perimeter, easy way to refit them :handy:

Good idea - I would have liked to do the same but as I have some original tanks I am stuck with the same size.

1) Yes

2) Directly under the tank. There is the bolt for the banjo and you should have a nice big hole in the bottom of the sill where you can see the banjo and fuel line.

3) Each tank has 1 bolt securing it. On the inside of the tank which is what that bracket's for.

Joyful job, enjoy! It is true that getting them back in is the tricky bit.

Pete

OK, I am confused.

I started the old tank removal today.  Tanks not out yet, but all hoses to the tanks, filler neck etc. off the car and tanks mostly drained.  Just need to finish draining , fuel hoses off and tanks out.

However, the second hand tanks I got from SWLC and have mostly refurbished are different to whats in my car!

My tanks have banjo bolt fixings for the hoses, a short filler neck on the tank and seperate breather outlet.

The tanks I have purcahsed ready to go in the car have a small metal tue outlet (two on the other tank) rather than the banjo oitlet, long filler necks and no seperate breather outlet.  Any ideas if these are S3 tanks, I am now at the point where I am not sure I can use them in my car?

I would post some images of the relevant differences to help.

Simon

Tanks out!

Had to remove the seat belts out the way, but once that was done it was surprisingly easy to get them out - took me five minutes to suss the best way and out they came!

Just the joy of putting new ones in when they arrive..

On 16/01/2013 at 23:55, Nelly said:

3) Are the tanks secured inside the car once in situ - I have read about securing them down but that only looks possible from the angled bracket on the side of the tank

Does anyone have pics of what the bolt/nut arrangement looks like on the angled bracket that holds the fuel tank in place?

I don't have any good photos showing this,

From memory though, there is a bolt that goes into the tank bracket from the bodywork outside the car, maybe via the wheelarch - I can't quite remember.  There really isn't much to it other than that,

I founf the whole process quite straightforward in the end, the tricky part being getting the old tanks out.  My new tanks from Sj were slightly smaller so they went in easier than they came out.

Yeah the bolt goes through a hole in the engine bay into the bracket on the fuel tank. I'm just wondering which way the nuts and bolts go from factory.

Has anyone taken pics of this?

The hole is the one above the large one below. Hard to see because the black fuel tank behind it is masking the hole.

IMG_0079_zpspklssiq0.jpg

Problem is, my Axminster alloy fuel tanks don't have a hole drilled in the bracket. Did the originals come with a hole in the bracket? Thougth I'd ask before I pull the drill out. 

IMG_0081_zpsw8erjhou.jpg

IMG_0082_zps0uz4qetv.jpg

Is the bolt on the inside of the bracket or the inside of the engine bay? Would hate to lose a nut down below the fuel tank...

Edited by Freemason

Found this old pic of my old tanks. Looks like the bolt was rusted on and sheared off during removal. Not sure if the orignal nut on the fuel tank bracket was orginally welded on.

IMG_1962_zpsx8rftvmp.jpg

I was playing around with my handbrake cables on Saturday and as they go over the bracket I had a look.  It confirmed what I suspected in that the bracket has a captive nut welded into it which the bolt screws in to.

I did take a photo, my tanks are SJ replacements and not the originals but if you would like me to upload I will do so.

Hey Nelly yeah if you could post some pics that would be awesome!

Hey Vin,

Thanks for that! Definitely some holes in those, I'm guessing there are some nuts welded onto the other side. I'll probably drill a hole and try to stick a rivnut through there if space permits. 

I´m in the process of fitting two new aluminium tanks. It took me two days to get them off, had to release one engine mount to lower the engine... anyway. What´s the trick with refitting the fuel filler hoses? I had cutted the old ones to remove them, because I wanted to renew them anyway. But, as the old ones, also the new ones are as flexible as a railway track. How did you manage to get them back on?

Edited by marode

Matthias,

If I recall, on the right side, I waited to tighten the tank and was able to move it around enough to force on the fuel filler hose. 

On the left hand side, I accidentally pushed out the fuel filler metal tube [the piece that holds the cap], so I removed the rubber gasket, fitted the hose to the tank, pushed the metal filler tube back into the hose, and THEN re-installed the rubber gasket around the tube. I actually found that a bit easier. 

Good luck

Jim

Hi Jim!

Thanks for your hints. I was already thinking about that I might be easier to remove the filler neck. But it´s still riveted to the car (guess original). I will try tomorrow with loose tanks first. Haven´t fixed them yet. Enough for today...

My filler necks were not riveted (at least left side). The previous owner painted the car so that may be why. Plus, mine is an S1. 

Good luck!

Jim

Jim, you´re absolutely right. Mine aren´t riveted either. I´m just blind in the evening. Filler neck is fixed with screws. For everyone who is doing this challenge: removing the filler neck makes things a lot easier. I wouldn`t say easy, but for me it seems the only way to get the fuel hoses back on. I removed the neck, took it out, took the new tank out again and fitted the hose to the tank and to the neck on the bench, including the filler neck to body grommet on top of the neck. I have let the clamps loose at this point do be able to turn and move the neck a bit to get it back in the body. Then all together back in. Fitting the neck back in the body was bit tricky, therefore it was necessary to be able to move the hose. At last I tightened the clamps and the fixing bolt at the bottom of the tank.