free hit
counters
Electric Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
chandrew

Electric Evora

Spotted (OK, followed) in Zurich today - an electric, range-extender Evora developed by local university ETH as part of a student project

Website (in German)

The media section has photos and a video

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

wasn't there allready an 'hybrid/range-extender' Evora made by LotusEngineering ?

..it's so sad that most universities only have the money to be in the FormulaStudent ..instead of those 'real car' projects like this interesting one with the Evora

..it's so sad that most universities only have the money to be in the FormulaStudent ..instead of those 'real car' projects like this interesting one with the Evora

You'd be surprised at some of the kit that some universities have, far more than most big companies can afford (which is why university - company collaborations can be so strong).  Delft uni has a Cessna jet which they've converted to a laboratory in their aeronautics department (they also have one of the biggest wind tunnels in Europe which is the prime location for designing wind turbines).

My University takes part in the formula student series - indeed the car is outside on show along with a professional racing car. we are currently looking at getting a rolling road installed so that students can do more analysis on performance.

just as I say ..only the 'big players' can handle it 

..the industrial relationship in Delft, Zurich or Munich is notable more competitive, than what the HTW-Berlin can afford

Those real cars you can use on the streets are far more interesting for me.

-that's why I have never done something for the HTW-team, apart from an offer for a test run against my car for PR.

It was the 2006 season, where the HTW car failed this test run against my car and broke the hub

...so Lotuis 1 - HTW 'nada-niente-nothing' ;)

Edited by Günter

Great development project for the Lotus Engineering guys and we may eventually see some of this technology on the road, but I suspect as a viable retail project the Hybrid Evora is up there with the hydrogen black cab. Speaking to some of the engineers working on these projects though, there are some very clever ideas out there around this sort of technology that will lead to improvements in handling and performance, not just ticking the e-friendly box. 

As driver as well as a passenger I have experienced some hybrids, fuel-cell, CNG, LPG, E85bio-fuel cars and even pure battery powerd E-vehicles in prototype & production state   ..and those figures of 1000Nm in the Evora just wonder me, as even with the now regular available heavier sedans & family cars in the e-car & hybrid-car section you can eat up tires if you want  

..so to go on those massive torque-figures instead of notable speed for fast runs, this is strange -as you can't use it like you would want to use it anyway.

With those e-motors coupled with an traditional gearbox, instead of an direct wheel-drive system, there should be a gear set choosen that is of use for more than those claimed 130mph -especially if it is all put into an Evora design ..?

Günter, that is why there is so little interest in electric vehicles in Germany. Neither Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche or VW are taking an active position in electric vehicles for the German market, much prefering Turbodiesel here.

If you look at US forums you notice they only look at 0-60mpg ans 1/4-mile numbers.  Every Newton helps there.

Only we (chosen) few in GErmany have the chance to experience 130 KPH+ regularly.

I had the chance to drive the Tesla around the TT Course here one wet evening a year or so ago. I'm a big fan of electric (also rode a TT Zero bike briefly a couple of years ago).

The most disappointing thing (apart from the eyewatering price) was the amount of wind and road noise at speed.

So I'll stick with my Esprit (or give me an Elise for now) - at least the engine drowns out the rest of the noise!

I had the chance to drive the Tesla around the TT Course here one wet evening a year or so ago. I'm a big fan of electric (also rode a TT Zero bike briefly a couple of years ago).

The most disappointing thing (apart from the eyewatering price) was the amount of wind and road noise at speed.

So I'll stick with my Esprit (or give me an Elise for now) - at least the engine drowns out the rest of the noise!

My Tesla has had upgraded sound proofing & door seals (Tesla are pretty cool in the way they develop improvements for such a low volume car, sometimes they are free).  I can now talk on the hands free phone at normal speeds.  Probably similar in terms of wind noise to my Esprit now.

With no engine noise, tire noise dominates - the Yoko AD048 are really noisy but the AD08s much better.

Real shame the Evora 414E did not make it to production (at least has not yet) they had a window when it would have been a unique product.