free hit
counters
Esprit S4S Fuel Pump - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Esprit S4S Fuel Pump

hello, has anyone had fuel pump problems?...have had one new assembley fitted, and then 2 replacement units (last one lasted 4 weeks before packing up !!)...Lotus Engineering is trying to tell me its caused by leaded fuel blocking up pipes, if car is not used constantly???...so if you park car in car park and go on holiday for a few weeks, expect to have to replace the fuel pump??? RUBBISH !!!!!!....

Also, does anyone know who supplies/manufactures the actual; electric motor to the assembley??...

thanks, paul

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello, has anyone had fuel pump problems?...have had one new assembley fitted, and then 2 replacement units (last one lasted 4 weeks before packing up !!)...Lotus Engineering is trying to tell me its caused by leaded fuel blocking up pipes, if car is not used constantly???...so if you park car in car park and go on holiday for a few weeks, expect to have to replace the fuel pump??? RUBBISH !!!!!!....

Also, does anyone know who supplies/manufactures the actual; electric motor to the assembley??...

thanks, paul

Yes.a lot of rust in the fueltanks.

Have you checked the tanks and fuel filter for dirt/rust?

Did you put on the pickup screen (fuelfilter) under the fuelpump when you installed the pump?

What is you fuelpressure ?

Have you done any modifications prior to the first fuel pump you changed?

There is some other treads on this forum that are fuel related,read them.

89 Lotus Esprit Turbo S

Very fast road and trackday car.

GT3076R+ a lot of other modifications.

http://lotusespritwo...inZzdningz.html

Yes.a lot of rust in the fueltanks.

Have you checked the tanks and fuel filter for dirt/rust?

Did you put on the pickup screen (fuelfilter) under the fuelpump when you installed the pump?

What is you fuelpressure ?

Have you done any modifications prior to the first fuel pump you changed?

There is some other treads on this forum that are fuel related,read them.

I s the rust a manufacturer fault?

Fuel is fresh and clean....The pickup fuel filter screen is part of the new fuel pump assembly...dont know fuel pressure but when new unit was installed, engine started immediately and restarted a couple of times over a period of a couple of weeks and run for about 1/2 hour each time, however after about the 4th week, no good!!??...resistance reading across terminals showed about 5 ohms (instead of the usual 100 approx), which altered if you shoock the unit, so obviously either fuel entered motor or bits inside had deteriorated?...this sequence has happened now two times...

No modifications have been made to the car...

I s the rust a manufacturer fault?

Fuel is fresh and clean....The pickup fuel filter screen is part of the new fuel pump assembly...dont know fuel pressure but when new unit was installed, engine started immediately and restarted a couple of times over a period of a couple of weeks and run for about 1/2 hour each time, however after about the 4th week, no good!!??...resistance reading across terminals showed about 5 ohms (instead of the usual 100 approx), which altered if you shoock the unit, so obviously either fuel entered motor or bits inside had deteriorated?...this sequence has happened now two times...

No modifications have been made to the car...

Why did you ask about the filter at end of fuel pickup pipe?...I thought that was standard? as its a permanent fixture on the new assembly...

Hi,

It seems unlikely that you have had such bad luck with the pumps - its more likely that there is a problem causing the pump to work too hard so quickly burning it out.

This could be a blockage due to rust, or possibly a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. If the regulator is not holding pressure then the pump could be spinning like mad pumping fuel from the tank, through the header rail and back again. If its too high, or there is a blockage then the pump will be spinning slowly trying to push the fuel through, either result can burn the motor out.

Alan

My 2cent input. My car is a Turbo SE, i don't know if the fuel pump is the same as on the S4. However... First get sure whether it's the same or not on SE and S4. If it's the same on both models, then the fuel pump is an AC Delco model EP378 (also used on Chevy Berretta). I changed mine and works beautifully.

My 2cent input. My car is a Turbo SE, i don't know if the fuel pump is the same as on the S4. However... First get sure whether it's the same or not on SE and S4. If it's the same on both models, then the fuel pump is an AC Delco model EP378 (also used on Chevy Berretta). I changed mine and works beautifully.

the S4S is an ''Inside-Tank'' unit ?...

thanks, paul

hi,

my one has been changed 2 weeks ago: you can see see my pics on ukrocketcar gallery

reason ? too old and too hot at the same moment :rolleyes:

Patrick

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London

hi Patrick...is yours same as mine, an intank unit?...

hi,

yes the pump is in the tank behind the driver seat for RHD ....your s4s.

the important thing is to change the pump , mine start again running with a knock on it after it was pull out the tank, but i decide to put a new complet lotus set "the same as on the pics in my gallery".

And know Ijust come back from a very good esprit drive B) and all is ok. Change the pump if one time it stops running for me it is now a main rule..

best regards

Patrick

"Aut tace aut loquere meliora silentio" Salvator Rosa when 25 years old National Gallery London