free hit
counters
Hows the weather where you are? - Page 6 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Hows the weather where you are?

Kimbers

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Next time you do that Moley, please film it :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I had considered stilts....then I remembered my only previous attempt at stilt walking which was only marginally more successful than the time I tried a Unicycle. Both ended the same way.....

I had a chum, Rod Dew, (where are you now, you bum???!!) and we worked together at the London Fire Brigade Workshops at Lambeth, and later on at the Ruislip workshops. His Mum had been a circus artiste....a unicyclist! Rod reckoned anything Mum could do, so could he...so he acquired a unicycle and started to learn to ride it. In the workshop....started out clutching on to a fire appliance, rocking back and forth as unicyclists do....after a bit, he got cocky and launched forth into forward motion. At this point he lost any semblance of control...the contraption accelerated steadily down the workshop until it reached Warp Factor snot .... fortunately, Rod managed to fall off it just before it shot into the open inspection pit.....(!) Going down that would have been a bit painful. For sure..... ! I had a go at it and found it completely impossible, remaining upright for no more than milliseconds.... After a few days, we gave up. Stilts were a bit better, back when I was 10 or so....but to negotiate The Flood one's feet would have to be a good three feet above the "ground", and my chances of doing that are zero!! 

I've never been a "well balanced" sort of chap.....

Filming? You really think I'd do this sort of thing with an audience???(!) 

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

Here's my local dog walking beach today - Dawlish is the next beach a mile away. Been a rough 24 hours.

Teignmouth

3B0436B9-2BFC-4114-84DF-0423F520E0E5.jpg

302FC549-3943-4835-A336-89B9EAB9D333.jpg

7FD1A5AF-ACA5-4683-A3F0-A5B2FA41ECC5.jpg

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Well I'm happy we got back from FL before the storm and all the flight cancellations. Got maybe 7-10" inches of snow so far with a nice break in the middle to blow things out in steps with my ancient 1986 Rotohoe Bobcat snowblower that I've had from new . ( My neighbors are probably laughing watching me put the chain back on the sprockets every now and then as the auger chain drive bearing is shot and I'm trying to locate a replacement. .....I'm cheap, but it keeps working!!!)  :hrhr:

post-9355-0-36470800-1391633276.jpg

Edited by comem47

Teignmouth...the place my Dad came from; grandparents lived there...Dad HATED Teignmouth pier...bet he's chortling from on high....

1558452_628129793901501_1348511241_n.jpg

Can't last much longer, bits are coming off it nicely..... When he died, we did think about endowing a bench by the pier with some nice carving... something along the lines of "He always hated this pier, and now he can watch it decay!"
Edited by molemot

Scientists investigate that which already is; Engineers create that which has never been." - Albert Einstein

I saw those coastal train tracks washed out on the cable channel (maybe BBC news channel). Nasty stuff!!! (being on the water anywhere in the world is a nice and beautiful place to visit, but times like this I'm glad my property is far removed and on high ground!!!)

Today's view of the tracks.

BB8F0555-C88D-4EBB-AF56-0301D525BB2D.jpg

And guess who has a small Business venture in Dawlish just 100 meters along? - another 100 meters and THIS would have also bought it!!

82D1B4C1-31A3-4CA6-A0E1-1606CD1CA6B2.jpg

Edited by mayesprit

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

Saw that on the news here as well. Hell of a job to fix if the weather stays bad.

We're going to have 36 degrees to day followed by 40 on Saturday. That's celsius. Which is 104F I think

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

Roller coaster :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Is this not half suicidal? I can't see the embankment being 100% structurally sound since it's mainly underwater and soaked?

article-2553474-1B459D6100000578-663_964

Evora NA

Moley reverts to type...there is nothing, absolutely nothing half as much fun as just simply

Messing...About...in...Boats!!

What-ho.....it's been an eventful sort of day. Lurched out of the pit at around 0830 and peered out. Noticed the water point for the plot was now totally submerged...so the river was up about 5 to 6 inches from yesterday. Hmmm. Current flowing at some speed across the plot. Time for a Thought....got to go to the Marsden for a scan Tuesday next. Giant downpour and howling gale due tonight. More rain after that followed by more rain, then, just for a change, a spot of rain. Aaarrggghh!! River will keep rising as the country drains down...so it will soon be impossible to wade ashore.... Time to abandon, I think. No way is the river going down in the foreseeable. Can't move boat to Yacht Club as the river current would mean that our wash would wipe out the riverside properties....she's a bit splashy at the 15 knots this would need!

So I phone Cousin Tony in Bishop's Waltham with my tale of woe.....and he said YES!!!! So, if 'twere best done, 'twere best done swiftly .... I packed my kit and transferred it to the deck of the boat. Next thing was to clamber down on to the landing stage, which - by now - was underwater. I was a long way...down the footholds in the hull and then a looong hipjoint stressing stretch to the top of an old gas bottle, finally to some old batteries amd then to the stage itself!! Deck was at about head level. Happy days....(!)

Nothing else for it....so I stepped into the not-quite-yet raging torrent and plodded across the flooded field to where the dinghy was, at the gate. The current made staying upright a problem, but I succeeded!! Shoes and trousers soaked, water up to knackers, astoundingly COLD so knackers retracted fast enough to nearly produce a sonic boom and give me another pair of tonsils...or adenoids...or somesuch.
Crawled out of the 'oggin and got the dinghy...dragged across the mud into the flood and teetered about getting in...ended up kneeling for stability's sake and sculling with one oar, first port and then starboard...proceeding in fits and starts, blown by wind and dragged by current, to the immersed landing stage. Reached for the painter...(for the uninitiated who never read "Swallows and Amazons, that's the bit of string at the sharp end wot you use to tie the thing up with)..and there wasn't one!!!! Well, to be truthful, there WAS...but it was far too short to reach without standing up, and by then I was shivering more than a bit and my personal stability was questionable...in terms of staying upright, I mean, not mental stability which has always been, and will doubtless remain, a moot point.

But I digess.......had to tie the thing on to the landing stage...or bathing platform as it had become(!) Fortunately, there was a fender tied on to the starboard rollock (ooooo Missus!) and that had a long enough bit of left over string to go around the scaffold pole which held up the aforementioned landing stage. Then I had to get out.....this meant getting to one side and moving the Moley centre of gravity way away from the centre line of the hull.....a dangerous business, which has seen Moley precipitated into the mighty river before now....anyway, a bit of frenzied scrabbling and I was ashore! Or, at least, on the flooded landing stage.

It was the work of a moment to transfer my kit to the dinghy and untie it....immediately it started to drift downstream!! Not a problem, as we were on the landward side of the big Birchwood and all we'd do is drift into the satellite dish....not ideal, but safer than being swept away downstream to the weir!! So I rapidly got the oar out and sculled furiously against wind and current and the blackest imprecations of my foes.....zigzagging my way past the decomposing flooded barbecue, my Godson's decomposing rusting flooded scooter and the decomposing rotting flooded shed to the decomposing flooded gate. A final mad thrunge and the keel of the dinghy scrunched soggily into the mud of the entrance.....Phew!! I gingerly got the starboard leg out onto the ground...it was flooded but I was wet already from the gonads downwards....and it was followed by the port leg...and I was standing ashore, safe and sound!!

Dragged the dinghy up the slight incline, across the muddy lane and the equally muddy path and left it on the muddy grass beyond. Safe enough, river would have to go up over a yard or so before it floated free....Nearly there now. Just had to drag suitcase, guitar, drugs supply (PRESCRIPTION drugs.......!!) computer etc. through the golf club security gate ( remembered the combination OK!) to the trusty Volvo estate, and we were ready to depart for more sensible accommodation. Nice day for a drive, too.....Got down to Tony's around 1130, put some plastic bags on the Moley feet and adjourned to the bathroom for foot washing purposes, shoes being full of mud and grit and feet coated likewise(!).. and was soon attacking a plateful of scrambled eggs with a couple of kabanos on the side. Sometimes relatives are the very best thing......

Sennen Cove - Cornwall.

4F9BB82C-2ED6-4152-AA95-02A2D9CD5E1A.jpg

Now with video! 

69ca43b5386146767219e561d80b8086

" data-width="466">

Evora NA

That is just........wow! Wouldn't want to be anywhere near that!

Possibly save your life. Check out this website.
http://everyman-campaign.org/

Distributor for 'Every Male' grooming products. (Discounts for any TLF members hairier than I am!)

:blink:

_72932066_dorset.jpg

Evora NA