free hit
counters
Pick up my new Elite and drive home, simple, hmmmm - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Clive59

Pick up my new Elite and drive home, simple, hmmmm

So, went to Hobart to pick my Elite 502, then just a simple drive home to Sydney, via ferry across Bass Strait, and through Melbourne, and home. All good from Hobart to Devonport, off ferry OK, up to Glenrowen(Ned Kelly country), and stopped engine, windows up, SLOWLY. It was hot, so didn't think much of it.  Went to start car, volts 11.5, down to 3 on load. Battery failed, replace and on way again.Got to Holbrook, and stopped car to refuel. Didn't start, battery flat. Pushed car across the road, and some people came to help get it into the shade. Comments like 'bloody Pommie shit' but with big grins as they all owned MGB's or Jensen Healy's, so were very sympathetic. Ok, so found alternator not working, borrowed a battery and got to Albury, and getting a new Bosch one fitted, as autoelectrician could not get any life from old one at all. Will see what happened with old one when I have time. Other thing is that reverse gear is a pig, and seems to be getting worse. Almost impossible to keep in without slipping out. So trying to avoid reversing. Is this terminal, or an adjustment.

The good news is that it passed the heat stress test, we were driving in 37-39deg at 100-110kph(60-70mph) all the way( no aircon, that was removed ages ago and is in pieces in the boot), and had to have fans on occasionally(manual switch now, so need to watch temp carefully!), oil pressure fine, motor purring. Seem to be averaging about 8.1 litres/100km (34.8mpg), so that's good. And it is a very relaxing and comfortable car to drive, so impressed with that bit. Hopefully home tonight.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Well Clive if the only issues are / were the alternator and the otter switch you seem to have a good one there. 34.8mpg, I guess my Excel does nearer 24.8mpg but that's due to the journey to work that I use it on a lot, only a few miles and lots of stop/ start and smaller roads.

Andy

good to hear...

was wondering how you had got on with all the heat and the fires.

A new alt and battery are never a bad thing... Once you've replaced them, you know they are good for another few years.

Reverse isn't great news, but if its only jumping out of reverse, you can probably live with it for a while?

Back home safe and sound. No fires our way yet Dunc, hope it stays that way too!

So, a few clunking noises to investigate in suspension. The auto electrician managed to repair the old alternator, that seems to work. However LOTS of electrical issues, I suspect the voltage stabiliser is faulty, as I have an interaction between Temp and Voltmeter, and load. If fans are off, voltmeter reads more or less right, but Temp appears to go up alarmingly. Turn fans on, temp recovers in seconds, Voltmeter goes low. If i turn on lights the Tacho dies, but the load makes Temp work, and the Voltage goes completely off, not to mention the dodgy High/Lo beam relay. Fun to be had. And I need to fix/replace the Otter switch or equivalent. Indicator switch doesn't self cancel, ok, it did once! But no more. Dash lights are limited to Temp and Fuel(which also doesn't work).

Reverse gear is almost impossible, so am a bit worried about that. Anyway, will get some pics up soon.

Try again Andy

The editing did odd things, so here goes again, sorry...

post-10210-0-36036700-1358693121.jpg

post-10210-0-51259900-1358693136.jpg

post-10210-0-16584100-1358693151.jpg

post-10210-0-03034200-1358693168.jpg

Edited by Clive59

stalk is from a triumph if you need a replacement. I did have one somewhere from my dolomite sprint days, but may have got rid of it in a clearout...I'll see if I can find it. I think it is generic to most 70's triumphs.

I'd ensure the earth point is clear first. go into the engine bay and have a look in front of the driver low down on the wheelarch. You'll see lots of wires terminating in rings round a bolt with a couple of copper nuts. whip the nut off and clean up the rings with sandpaper, or a grinder. If its seeing a decent earth, then it is the first point in trouble shooting. Headlight relay is on the same wheelarch further forward. Think its a 20A from memory. It's worth carrying a few of these relays as the are used for various things. I keep some in the govebox.

You could do at lot worse than getting a kenlowe fan or similar. They are quite reliable, I have one on mine and it has adjustable cut in, which may be useful to you. I have no direct experience, but I'd be tempted to look at a modern voltage stabiliser rather than replace the original one.