free hit
counters
Water pump advice .... hc engine - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cbclotus

Water pump advice .... hc engine

Hi reading back through the forum. With regards to overhauling my water pump hc na engine.Is it possible to press in new parts.Have a mate with a press.Does  it need to be heated for  the bearing to be pressed out etc.Or is it better to purchase an exchange pump for more money.Thanks for your help Mike

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Perfectly possible with use of a press (hydraulic / screw not fly) heat and cold.

Pull the front pulley boss off, heat the ali casting and press the shaft/ bearing/ impeller out. Pull the impeller off if you need to re-use (some kits don't supply new ones).

When reassembling, heat the ali and chill the bearing (in a plastic bag) in the freezer, it reduces the forces needed and stops metal being ripped off the casting.

Thanks Andy.i am going to buy a refurb kit.Thanks Mikke

yes, definitely heat the pump housing in the oven on low ~200F.

You'll need a seal insertion too to prevent collapsing of the seal.  I can send you a drawing of what is needed, or you may be able to rent borrow on from somebody?

Thanks Travis.i am useless with engines etc.I have a guy who has a press .i might take you up on your offer.Thanks again Mike