free hit
counters
bored again - Page 2 - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

bored again

Hi Alex, the wheels are as follows

Fronts are:- 17 x 8 inch, Renault fitment with 20mm spacer, my fronts are effectively S4, toe out as per S4, camber as S4

Rears are :- 18 x 10 inch, Porsche fitment with 20 mm spacer/ adaptor, camber as S4 zero approx toe.

As for costs, they were approx 1,600 including adaptors, balance and fit.

I need just to confirm the price, if you want I can send you the full detailed spec, ie spacer and adaptor specific sizes ie order details

The type of wheel is OZ racing wheel Alleggerita titanium 5F

Hope that helps.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The PCD (bolt pattern & spacing) will be for Renault/Porsche. The way around this is to have a spacer which bolt onto your hub with the Esprit PCD (108 x 5 eg 5 bolts in a pentagram with 108mm between bolt dead centers) and has alternative bolt holes for the different PCD. You can offset this with a different offset wheel or alternatively the wheels will be spaced out and you'll have to adjust the geo to suit. It also puts more pressure on the bearings but isn't the end of the world in this respect unless the spacers start to get quite wide.

h-r-pcd-hub-conversion-wheel-spacers-mgf

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Dave, the underside of the Esprit isnt flat, there a steps & changes in profile , and even studs to hold the seats down, on the front you will need more than a splitter, as the air needs to be directed in a straight way ..not all across to the front of the T-shape chassis section, all those various hoses and brackets there create much irritation ...this is not good on real aerodynamics ..if we allready talk about an active underbody !!  

As for the PCD, the SE/ S4ff Esprit uses Renault parts there, that is at least why it is the same bearing size and also the PCD on the hub is 5x108 on the rear ..a not so common but available dimension (Renault, Lancia, Ford, Jaguar, Maserati, Ferrari..)  ..there are some differences in the hub center bore of course

for my 'winter wheel' project I was deep into those problems, so I know that there are optionals on the market.

the whole aspect of spacers and suspension load was allready discussed within the *GT3 refresh* toppic ;)

Edited by Günter

to name the things if I see them, that's what I call integrity..

Good thoughts Gunter, the question is : is it worth the work, not at road going speeds. However for me the addition of a rear diffusser would cover the rough stainless exhaust and stop some of the possible turbulence around the assortment of parts ie gearbox, linkages etc. also it would enhance the appearance of the back end of the car. I will take a look at the GT3 refresh project, thanks for your comments, incidentally have you made any mods to the underside of your car? Best regards Dave

Dave, if you fit a diffuser it will be purely cosmetic so treat it as such. What Gunter is alluding to is that to actually make a diffuser work you'd need to go to the sort of levels Changes did with the underbody. The splitter also has very little direct effect on the diffuser, it's there to divert air around the sides of the car rather than under it.

For a diffuser to work what you need is a smooth airflow as it's just effective as an upside down wing. It needs fairly laminar airflow to be able to allow it to reduce the air pressure therefore speed up it's exit (and create downforce), turbulent air will just stay turbulent and the pressure won't change.

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Good points Bibs, I think the important consideration for me is to concentrate is making it look good whist ensuring that any changes do not cause undue handling / safety or heat problems.

Dave

Felix, hi mate, yes it's a hard life is it not, you need a project like me, whatch ths space.

Edited by Dave Freeman

if there was a doubt on it -my winter project is posts in the forum :lol: 

..or with other words, Dave the only change done on the underside of my V8 is 'a lot of dirt added'  ..as the V8 does not have an engine bay underschield at all (compared with some 4pots types)

so we are on the next point, there is a small illustration in the owners book, the green *A5-square* sized one   ..it shows how the airflow from outside and inside (cabin ventilation) was meant from factory (and those who tried to grab the underside of the inner door whilst driving have noticed the coldair allready passing there )    -same as for the engine-bay ventilation, on the V8 it really works, as you can see if you drive your car on a misty/wet road with speed and watch out for the stream of mist and hot air comming out from tailgate vents and make the tailgate dirty.

All this would be a point to think about if you cover up the underside of the later Esprit series cars. Especially as an good underbody still can be spoiled by a rough design on top of the car, and that our Esprits are not created for real speed is notable by viewing all the joint lines in the body, glassing, hatches and pots

It would be toooo cold Pete, besides would never get the motorhome onto skis, I could always strap them onto the moped I suppose.

Gunter, I suppose my logical next question would be that the esprits were raced, they must have made some changes to improve the aerodynamics. Seen some pictures they look the nuts. I assume they are a radical redesign both underbody and topside.

Be interesting if nothing else to understand the changes made.

Dave

Edited by Dave Freeman

most obvious is the front end, with radiator outlet to limit 'lift' on the front   ..and if you ever drive your car with the front hood unlocked on speeds above 150km/h you will notice the negative pressure zone there, near to the front end..

this helps on improving flow across the radiator  (see Porsche GT3, some old GT like Ford GT40 and others )

...directly on the edge of most windscreens (lower end) there is in opposite to the former a pressure zone -that's why most passenger cars have the heater inlet area there  ..there are also some negative and positive pressure areas under the car, that's what we have learned in the University in the 'vehicle concepts' course  ..on packaging, and construktion gains

Edited by Günter

Well for what it is worth I like the first diffuser better and think it looks more professional and the 2nd looks home made.  Maybe that is because I immediately thought F430 when I saw it, and I like it on them, and the other I don't recognise.

Regards making the rear diffuser work, or not create drag at least, for the last 3 years I've heard complains from friends, Lotus and otherwise that they cannot follow the Evora very close on back roads as it hoovers up lots of grit n' stuff at speed and shot blasts the following car.  I just thought I was a driving God that they couldn't catch! Anyway the Evora is plated in from front to rear and the diffuser isn't anything very clever.  Just angled flat plate.  Have a look at a N/A to see what I mean. (offshore at the momemnt so don't have my photo library with me). The tyres are also fairly soft as we all know, so partially it will be them ripping the surface up as well.

A LEGS man and proud to declare it! Lotus Enthusiasts Group Scotland

Autocar's Best UK Drivers Car 2009. Car's Performance Car of the Year 2009; Evo's Car of the Year 2009. Top Gear Sports Car of the Year 2009

the GT1 / GT2 Esprit V8 also used a covered underbod, something Mike tried to copy to ..if you see his own page

can confirm what Allan sais -especially if you follow up a lowerde Elise/Exige the fast flow under the car puls up a lot of stones near the edge of the underbody/diffusor angle ..so it is really important how 'clean' and sorted the air stream is until it reaches the end of the car

but you can also see that a little higher on the back of most Elises there is a area of turbulence, that causes dirt to pulled higher up and get in contact with the rear body  ..so the zone of controled flow is really small and the overall effectivity on the elise body is not good for high speeds

So, to summarise somewhat, the car is full of holes, the relatively flat underside is not really good enough to benefit from further work and the benefits are only achievable possibly with £25k and a wind tunnel. So, my thoughts are, was it too expensive or not worth the benefits for lotus to use ground effects on the Esprit, would it have made the car handle better, greater fuel efficiency, and or better handling. I often wonder why newer cars seem to be no faster at 0 to 60 than some of the high end performance cars of today, take my wife's Porsche, 3.2 ltr engine only getting some 260 BHP, and a 0 to 60 time of only 6.5 secs, despite the shape and weight difference the esprit does it in 4.6 secs. Some of the more exotic cars of similar weight with much larger engines still find it difficult to gain better then sub 5 secs, admittedly the top end is somewhat faster. I might be rambling on here but all ths new technology and cars are not that much faster (acceleration) than my 20 year old esprit. So I wonder what the esprit could do if the shut lines were smaller, flat underbelly, less protrusions, etc Leads me back nicely to the previous comment I made on what changes the racing esprits employed. Dave

there are two mayor forces acting against you -if you are a car

..on acceleration it is the translatoric mass effect (basic mass of the whole car)  ..and the rotational mass (gearing, wheels, propshaft, crank and so on)  --thos try to be in a static situation (or in a 'stady move', if you plan on to brake)

both does have an effect on the power needed to accelerate within a specified time, so as more as stuff is running around with your car as more energy it needs

..if the car is already on the move in high speed, in constant ways ..there still is a force to compensate ..mostly the aerodynamic effect of resistance.

That is why the relatively light hot hatches from the 70th can make a lot of fun in the town, from road crossing to road crossing and on sprint runs ..but are noisy (windy) on high speeds, whereas in a modern passenger car you feel like if you sit in an armchair ..but acceleration is lame

You'll get that from the tyres Al, the Evora diffuser has no chance of sucking anything off the ground, it's too high and shallow!

Dave, you don't need that sort of cash and a wind tunnel, some fairly inexpensive fluid dynamics software and a good 3D model will show what can be done, but the reality is that just a diffuser won't improve anything without more modifications to the underside of the car. You'll also need to be doing 100+ around a corner to want ground effect, your tyres have more than enough grip for what you want to do in the car.

Evora NA

Tend to agree Bibs, I do not intentionally hit corners at 100mph, however, I still think it would look the nuts, plenty of food for thought in this post, not everyone wants out and out speed, bigger turbo, more chip improvements etc would provide straight line acceleration improvements, end of the day the travels on uk roads, at controlled speeds. There are too many holes in the road for ground effects to work. Hell maybe I just do it so the cars looks more aggressive....... Dave

ifit is just for looks (even saying that your car looks good just as it is !)  -what hapend to the KarlUK car ??

• Gold FFM

No idea, Gunter.  Not that I miss it; I thought it was an ugly sumbitch.  I don't think the Esprit wears drastic mods particularly well - it just ends up looking like a chavmobile.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.