free hit
counters
timing belt replacement.. free? - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mamovaka

timing belt replacement.. free?

wow, is this normal? I dropped off my Esprit to get the timing belt check up, and the mechanic just told me that they spoke to lotus and lotus said "put in new ones free of charge".

Is this normal? Isn't this usually a costly process?

Edited by mamovaka

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
wow, is this normal? I dropped off my Esprit to get the timing belt check up, and the mechanic just told me that they spoke to lotus and lotus said "put in new ones free of charge".

Is this normal? Isn't this usually a costly process?

Where are you? I seem to remember reading somewhere on LEW (have a hunt!) that to meet Import reguirements for California/USA certification Lotus had to claim/quote 100,000 miles between cam belt changes. But, kept quiet from owners, Lotus pay dealers to change the belt at least twice before then...

The original factory Cam belt change requirements have changed from the original schedule issued in 1996. Its schedule revision 'C' I believe you should work from at the moment!

Lotus do quote the Cam belt as an 'engine out' job with an appropriate hourly allowance. I understand (and know from experience), it is perfectly possible for the work to be done 'engine in'. Which I guess give dealers a nice 'rip off' lump of cream (

Edited by jeff_hooper

This is in pennsylvania, USA..

Is the timing belt engine out? I didn't know that..

The official line from the factory is that a cam belt change requires the engine to be removed. My engine was NOT taken out when the cam belt was changed.

My understanding after questioning the dealer, after the belt change, is that if the mechanic knows what he is doing and has experience of working on the V8 'engine out' he can 'picture' what he is doing and 'feel his was around' and do the job safely without the need to taking the engine out. The implication was that this would be a very risky job for someone with litttle or no past experience on the Lotus V8.

I don't know whether there are any brave amateur mechanics/owners here on LEW who can tell us they have done a V8 'engine in' cam change themselves... I'd be interested as if its possible it doesn't worry me having a go myself next time about? I do know there is a special tool required to check the tension on the belt.

J