free hit
counters
elite/eclat aircon evaporator - Elite / Eclat / Excel Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mat grant

elite/eclat aircon evaporator

Hi,

Does anyone on here know what the aircon evaporator in the heater unit is from? I'm rebuilding my heater, I've got one with aircon, and I'm looking to make one good one out of the two.

Unfotunately one motor one each is siezed! I realise I could reverse the wiring on one of the motors to get two working, but I'm not overawed by the reliability(!)

The fan power on mine was rubbish - it only worked on high, and then it made a rattly squealing noise and hardly emitted any air! So me being me I have put two vauxhall corsa motors in. They are bigger and much better quality. Doing a side by side bench test with the working eclat motor there is about double the airflow.

I want to look at the aircon next, ideally put a more moden aircon evaporator in, if I can work out what car it is from there might be a newer version of the same dimensions.

I'm also deleting all the vacuum controls - on the aircon one the vacuum rubber that connected the frsh./recirc control was broken so it would have always been stuck on fresh. I'm going to use cable controls everywhere.

Anyway if anyone knows what the evaporator is out of - please let me know.

Thanks, Mat.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

that might explain things - it looks like a custom design from the steam era!

Lotus normaly just use off the shelf stuff from other manufacturers, so hopefully it's at least based on another existing car part. I saw a range rover aircon that looked similar, but had different brackets.

I really want to have aircon on this car, it was unpleasantly warm inside on a hot day.

I found a car aircon place near where I work in London, I'll take it to them to see if it can be checked for leaks / cleaned up, and if they think it will provide some decent cooling, in which case I'll keep it if I can't find anything suitable to replace it. 

Thanks, Mat.

I couldn't think of the supplier the other day but I've now remembered it was Delanair who also made the Series II Jaguar air con systems although I'm sure that was yet another design.

Thanks - I googled delanair and a jaguar page came up, the heater aircon design is very similar in approach with lots of vacuum operated stuff.

The guys at the aircon place said the lotus one was useable, and the system will work effectively with it - so it looks like I'll stick with that as at least it is a good fit in the airbox - unlike the heater radiator which is such a bad fit it makes me laugh every time I look at it! nothing that Lotus couldn't fix with a bit a ally bracket and fome filler material!

Mat.

The vacuum actuators are from a 1966 Plymouth Fury, the heater control valve is a off the shelf part and available for 25 bucks, just cant find the number right now. I would not be surprised if the evap core is something similar standard.

Hi El Torro,

Thanks for the offer but i have the aircon comressor from the 1uzfe I'm fitting, and I have an aircon radiator from an MG ZT.

Cheers, Mat.