free hit
counters
Cold draught to passenger footwell at speed - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
SIMONRP

Cold draught to passenger footwell at speed

Anyone had an issue with cold draughts into the passenger footwell?

Other half complained about it a few months ago and it is only very noticeable when at motorway speeds.

Wasn't a huge problem when driving solo, but the recent very cold weather is now making it a pain even from the driving seat.

Seems to be coming through the HVAC as pushing the recirc button stops it, but obviously switching to recirc causes its own problems as far as misting up.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Simple problem, easy fix (I had the same issue).

There is a rubber plug somewhere behind the dashboard and HVAC that may not seal correctly and needs to be adjusted. If it doesn't seal correctly cold air from outside will be sacked in.

You can check by pushing the recirculation button, which should also stop the cold air flow.

Thanks for the reply.

Yep sounds like the problem as the recirc button stops the draught.

Is this a dash top out to resolve it or can it be accessed from underneath?

I've had the dash top out before to fit an imprint module and was rather hoping to not have to repeat this again so soon!

I have it both driver and passenger side and it is coming from the gearbox tunnel (is this the correct English word??). Dealer not able to find it and Hethel also no idea...

Edited by Sven76

Sven, you do the same check with the recirculation button.

Simon, it is not a dash out issue. Took my dealer about 15 minutes from underneath.

Sven; I have the same. It comes from the front part of the gearbox tunnel. I tried to fix it by putting all kind of stuff in all kind of narrow gaps; from the front untill the handbreak level. It helped a bit, but minusdegrees are really flowing the cold to the inside. I have some old socks from Finnland=they protect the feet, but its not "the solution". A.

Unfortunately it was my dealer who fixed it and I can't state exactly where the plug is. To my recollection  it was in the area behind the fuse panel. I haven't been able to find it in the service parts list.

Managed to get to the bottom of this after calling Lotus Aftersales and speaking to Andy French.

There is a letterbox opening behind the fuse box to do with the recirculation circuit and sometimes at speed air is drawn in from outside and discharged through this opening.

Here's the solution:

Remove the fusebox panel in the passenger footwell and locate the relay box containing the purple relays.

C9B67DF5-B033-4D71-9656-81DAEAAABA6F-326

Remove the four bolts holding the relay box in place and cut the zip tie holding the wiring to the bulkhead. Move the relay box out of the way. Black letterbox opening behind is the culprit of the draughts.

FE82CA1E-4E8C-45C1-9C9B-FA1393BD2E1A-326

Andy recommended an ABS plastic panel to shut off the opening. However, I only had some thin balsa which I cut to 255mm x 85mm (letterbox spans an opening larger than is visible in the photos) and applied some tape to the back. Some small holes already in the balsa allows the recirc still to work.

026C6019-D4B8-440E-B7FD-D85DE29CBDBA-326

Wiggle the panel through the gap behind the relay box and then Stick the panel in place over the opening.

C4905D3D-ACCD-42B7-8FDA-2FFFD7B7132C-326

I added some lagging I had to provide some extra insulation leaving only two holes in the panel uncovered for the recirc function. The holes aren't necessary if the recirc function isn't used.

0D6A2DCA-E4C1-45F3-97E8-F8957B874186-326

5161BFCC-8691-422B-B968-563311B67140-326

Replace the zip tie holding the wiring and bolt the relay box back in place. Replace fusebox aluminium panel.

The motorway test drive revealed the absence of any draughts and that the cabin warmed up considerably faster. I'd recommend this simple mod to anyone experiencing draughts to the footwell or centre console area.

Edited by SIMONRP

I'm glad that's not permanent. What you've done is blocked up the HVAC unit, the front side of this http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?MAK=1&MDL=20&TBL=1882&SMA=0&SMO=0&SC=1&ST=132P0003F

As stated in the thread switching to recirc would have done the same thing. I'd be concerned about the consequences of restricting air flow to the unit to be honest.

I'm pretty sure that duct is only used to draw air from the cabin into the HVAC when on recirculate. At speed cold air from outside is bleeding into that circuit and creating a draft in the footwell. Pressing recirc is shutting off the external air from outside into the the HVAC. It's not the main intake from outside into the HVAC system. Andy French said it could be blocked off without any holes if recirc not used and I'm pretty sure he'd know being a Lotus field engineer! Any doubts give him a call - he's extremely helpful.

Edited by SIMONRP

The fact the system isn't that sophisticated and you've been given carte blanche by the people responsible for replacing it works in your favour.

The fact the system isn't that sophisticated and you've been given carte blanche by the people responsible for replacing it works in your favour.

You are Neil Kinnock and I claim my £5! :)