free hit
counters
Overhauling gearbox and engine - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Escape

Overhauling gearbox and engine

When I bought my Esprit just over a year ago, I started reading this forum and it has helped me a lot to keep it on the road on up to spec.

Now, with the Esprit reaching 100.000 miles, I would like to ask advice on the overhaul I plan.

The facts:

- 1990 Esprit Turbo SE, RHD, 100k miles

- runs and drives very well, apart from a vibration which I think is caused by play on the bearings of the differential

- suspension bushes, balljoints and bearings have been replaced

- gear linkage and clutch hose upgrades

- one leaky fuel tank :-(

- seems taken for reasonably well, but I have no full history

I plan to take out the engine and gearbox over the next couple of weeks, and then do as much work as possible/needed (including the cambelt while the engine is out and access is easy).

The gearbox performs fine (at least it does now after the new linkage and clutch hose), apart from the play at the diff. I have some experience adjusting diffbearings, so replacing the bearings shouldn't be a problem. I am considering replacing the gears for fifth with those of a V8 to make the gearing a bit taller. I use the Esprit regularly to get to work and such (5000 miles last year), including long motorway stretches, so a reduction in rpm would be a good thing.

Is there anything else I should certainly inspect or upgrade when the box is on the bench?

Alternatively, I am tempted to buy a reconditioned box from a Sport300, including the ATB diff. The price is reasonable, but apart from the bearings, I cannot fault my box, despite the mileage.

Similar question for the engine: what needs to be looked at, what are worthwhile upgrades while it's out and so on...

Best regards,

Filip

Flanders

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

runs and drives very well, apart from a vibration which I think is caused by play on the bearings of the differential

Why the bearings, what are the symptoms???

The diff bearings are taper roller bearings so are adjustable within the crown wheel & pinion backlash & bearing preload parameters.

Why the bearings, what are the symptoms???

The diff bearings are taper roller bearings so are adjustable within the crown wheel & pinion backlash & bearing preload parameters.

I can feel quite a lot of play on the driveshafts. The CVs seem OK, it is the diff itself that is not tight. I compared with another Esprit of a friend, and on his car there is no play whatsoever (grabbing the driveshafts either side of the gearbox and pulling one side down while pushing the other side up).

I know the bearings are adjustable, but only within limits. I don't want to just tighten them up, but at least check on the inside for wear on the crown wheel and pinion and have a proper measurement for backlash and preload.

Filip