free hit
counters
ITS BACK!... part 2 - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hopo

ITS BACK!... part 2

After many moons of fafing, saving, and driving the Turbo the Na has finally been fixed! well kinda...

Image494-1.jpg

What a pretty car, love it. Ive always been a big fan of the na shape and im chuffed to have it back.

Anyhows the car threw a tantrum after being abused in Belgium. I attended the Ypres Lotus day which was utterly fantastic, but hard with no sat nav or co-driver. To prevent me from being lost in the belgian countryside i HAD to keep on the tail of the cars in front.... S2 exiges and Vx220 turbo's. The driving was exhilarating and at times bonkers, hence the damage!

The car got me home fine and left me pondering what a fine machine it is. The following weekend driving to the Mrs'sss place in Holloway i felt a sizeable clunk/thud which became regular. I tried to disseminate the issue but to no avail. I had the car recovered to mine where it sat langished and unloved while the Turbo was lavished with money and love.

Despite still not having the time or money the car was sent to be sorted and i am pleased to say its now back. A new crown wheel to replace mine which had 3 teeth missing, an expensive service and attention to several areas and its back.

I cannot belive how much the car differs from the turbo, everything feels different, the engine & power delivery of course but the idle, the handling, the sound, the steering, everything!

There car does still have one or two issues; when hot and after traveling for some time it will develop a misfire, and even stall and conk out in traffic (then helpfully refuse to start) i have had these issues in the past but they had become less pronounced. GST have checked over everything, plugs, coil, Ht leads and it is fresh from a service, However on occasion there is a weak spark. By a process of elimination we belive the lumenition to be on the blink. Now i use my car alot and it runs great until hot/and or after any great length of time so i simply must get this resolved.

Still paying for the Turbo to be rebuilt, this car and multiple esprit associated bills i really cannot afford to spend even more on these black holes. What CHEAP solutions exist to cure this lumenition issue, accuspark, petronix, sparksrus, comeonbabysparkmyfire etc.... any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hopo

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Hopo

No idea about the oily bits but blimey that does look very pretty.

Great, great colour. Agree totally that the two drive very differently. One's not better than the other, they're just very different !! 

Matey, you need to stop looking for cheap solutions to run 2 cars, and give just one the care it deserves!  But I've said this before and you'll repeat what you usually say...

Sparky i see your point... but where have i EVER scrimped on maintenance for my cars!!? when the turbo broke i could have taken shortcuts but no instead i search the earth for a dry sump pump rebuild the whole engine and whole gearbox... wouldnt call that a cheap solution. likewise the blue car has been maintained by GST to the highest order, i dread to think of how much ive spent! It would however be nice to find a solution which will not push me over the debt cliff

May I respectfully point out that the honourable member specified his desire for a CHEAP (sic) solution?  :harhar:

I fitted the pertronix item on my stephens turbo,  was easy to fit and performed great with no bother.

Also bought the flamethrower coil with the correct ohms rating aswell from them, just to avoid any possible warranty issues with pertronix.

Great picture, the old girl looks lovely. :thumbsup:

Will be nice to see it at the Ace. Was it just the diff replace or was the gearbox rebuilt?

Trevor.

I've had problems in the past with the 3 pin connector between the distributor and the ignition box. Contacts get dirty and become intermittent...that would be my first point for investigation. I have never known the Lucas ally box thingy to fail, and mine spent a year or so under water....don't ask(!) If you need a new one, though, they aren't too expensive.. a couple of hundred quid should get you a new one.

ive been away... on buisness... (like proper employment shizzle) not me officer...

Yeah, whatev... work indeed! 

Anyway, that was posted up on the Lotus Cars facebook page :)

Looks like Lotus cars are ashamed of their old cars as I think they removed it?

Buddsy

No but its on that chaps timeline not on the Lotus page....I think

Buddsy