free hit
counters
Trouble fitting decat pipe? - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Kip

Trouble fitting decat pipe?

Hi,

New to the forum, done my introductions this morning!

Quick question dealer has my car at the moment sorting a few little issues, and is fitting a 2bular decat pipe or not as the case my be! They say it doesn't fit the shape of the 'S' bend and the end that should slip into the back box is the same size rather than smaller. Spoken to Jim (at 2bular) he's never had a problem before- anyone else fitted one and did it go on OK?

Thanks,

Dave

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Kip

Dave

Not sure if the Larini by pass is the same?

But I found that once I removed the panels it was quite simple to drop the sway bar to get the muffler totally out. This removes the muffler and cat in one. Just watch the two small rods and brackets at the top rear of the muffler that hold the panel. They bolt on right next to the tips and splitter panel - make sense? Pull them up slightly they may bend but go into place quickly.

One end of the by pass has the flange that bolts onto the exhaust, the other slips over the muffler tube when you pull the cat off. I think it is easier to pull the muffler and trial fit rather than leaving the muffler in situ.

It took me 45 minutes to pull the floor off, remove the entire muffler and cat in one and fit the new pipe and muffler.

In summing up I think it would be easier to pull it all out/off. But again I did use Larini which appear a similiar product.

Sounds easy enough, can't work out why they are having so much trouble- they also told me it took them 3 hours to fit a Larini decat last week because the new pipe won't slip over (or inside) the existing silencer and they had to open the end up on the Larini to get it fit over the existing silencer inlet........

They are saying the same thing with the 2bular that the two pipe ends are the same size.....concerned!

Without knowing more than you've posted, it does sound 100% like an issue with the decat pipe David.

Are you sure it's the correct one?  I thought they were different for NA and S.

Bit more information from Castle now, the service guy was given a bit of duff info from the tech the fittings are OK but the radius on one of the bends isn't quite right, they feel they could have forced it on but it would have put pressure on the flexi pipe causing possible problems. So Jim at 2bular has had it collected and is going to modify it and send it back to them- fair play to Jim he phoned me straight away when the problems arose and has dealt with it really quickly.

It won't be back yet anyway to add to the ventilation being stuck on windscreen, reversing camera not working, central locking rattling and a couple of paint work issue's it's sprung a gear box oil leak whilst it's been sat in their workshop- the joys of Lotus ownership!!

Kip

Good news re the by pass and a big hooray to your supplier who obviously has good customer service.

It is a little difficult to work on the by pass and muffler due to the splitter panel and rear panel but the pipe can/could easily be flared by using the workshop air operated pipe flanger that takes about a minute to fit and expand the pipe.

Mmmmm you need open engines cars...:lol:... My other rear engine car is easy to work on..:lol:

Open air car show in the rain and al!!!

L:post-15038-0-01700200-1359651543.jpgpost-15038-0-50315300-1359651589.jpg.

Edited by Aussie kid

Fingers crossed it will come back sorted and fit, looking forward to hearing it once fitted!

Update- decat pipe was sent back to Jim, he has checked on his jig and can't find anything wrong with it. To be fair to Jim he has refunded my money while he investigates further he has an Evora owner taking their car in next month and he's going to try it on the actual car- he has offered to pay for the refit when it comes back which is top service IMHO.

Now worrying there's something not right with the car, if the pipe turns out to be right and I've no reason to doubt 2bular considering the excellent reputation - assuming Castle can't be messing up the install (from what I've read it's not rocket science to install) then there be a problem elsewhere?

Guess we'll find out in the coming weeks, anyone installed a decat (2bular or Larini) recently to an N/A? If so any problems with the radius of the bends causing misalignment on the flange end?

The other 2 are built into the manifolds so it's not that. The main cat is next to the back box, there's a downpipe from the 2 manifolds which goes itself reduces to 1 pipe at it's far end which connects to this cat, which in turn connects to the silencer.

40_21medium.gif

Have Castle had a chat themselves with Jim @ 2ubular? 

They changed one the previous week so they no which one no problem, yes the service manager and Jim spoke a couple of times its very strange. Castle were suggesting the one the bends needed adjusting, Jim checked his jig and is convinced the pipe is correct and will recheck when he has access to a physical car.

Looking at the Deroure site it seems the cat is on the left hand side of the car for the standard exhaust.

http://www.deroure.com/diagrams.asp?TBL=1928&MAK=1&MDL=20&SMA=0&SMO=0&ST=&SC=0

I seem to remember on my car the cat enters the Lotus sports exhaust on the right. I'll check tomorrow to make sure.

Trevor.

Just looked at some on the web and think I may have that wrong.

Trevor.

any update on what happened on this?

I am looking at adding the decat pipe to my LE n/a, no other mods.

Is it just a straight swap or is there more to it ?

Hi,

Removing the 3rd cat, is just a swap, but it's a bit messy because there's not a lot of space to work under the car, and the antirollbar is right in the middle of this little space!

So the best way is to remove 3rd and exhaut together, get rid of the 3rd cat, insert the replacement ( tubing ) in your exhaust ( a f.... pain in the ass to make that one enter in the exhaust, but Dremel helped a lot in my case! ), and then replace all together in place.

It's not really complicated, i'ts only hard to assemble tube+decat, the rest is quite straight forward!

yeah it's a bit of a PITA with that damn anti-sway bar there. I managed to remove my 3rd cat and NA silencer in one piece.. saved some time, but DOES require a bit of finessing to get it out. Doing the reverse is considerably harder, so I would recommend installing the decat pipe first, then the sports exhaust. By far the easiest solution is going with a straight pipe. Took me literally 30 minutes from start to finish.