free hit
counters
door handles - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/ICE/HVAC & Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
mat grant

door handles

Hi all,

Has anyone changed the door handles on an eclat or elite? I've got a new pair of doors for mine as mine are not very good but they didn't come with keys so i have to swap the locks over. If anyone has some tips or suggestions/pitfalls, I'd be glad to hear them.

Unless someone knows how if the number of the locks can e figured out and a key obtained?

In a while I'll ask questions about the excel central locking as the mechnism looks like it will fit in the running track shaped space at the bottom of the doors as I'd like to have central locking off a fob if possible (excluding the boot).  I kept the bits when I stripped the excel.

Cheers, Mat.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
Guest saraphee

Not sure what you're aiming for here Mat. I have remote locking on both doors,whuich is operated from a key fob.

As far as I recall this did not involve fitting anything in the bottom of the doors.

It's based on solenoids fitted to the lock mechanism and I've found it very useful and reliable. 

Came in a kit and fitted, of course by my tame electrician so I know nowt about how it were done!

Yrs

Rex

I recently changed my ones on a turbo Esprit. What ones are they fitted on the Elite / Eclat are they the BL ones range rover type?

Buddsy

Sorry to hijack the thread but I'm looking for a black drivers side Esprit door handle if anybody has a spare I can buy..?

I got one might need a bit of a touch up itsgot no key but you can take out your own barrel and fit that in?

PM me if you want it.

Buddsy 

Hi Rex,

Thanks, do you rememebr the name of the kit? That wouyld be really useful.

Not essential, just another thing you take for granted on modern cars, remote central locking, I'd like that on the eclat if possible.

Cheers, Mat.

Actually a quick look on evilbay shows up lots of cheap hong kong sourced kits that claim to be universal.....

Hi Mat-just saw Elite/Eclat handles with keys on ebay....Sunday 3rd at 9.30pm.

Regards, Dan

Guest saraphee

Sorry Mat,

I know this reply has been long in gestation, but at the moment TFC is back at the workshop - we're still experimenting on the induction side - and I didn't get around there until yesterday.The box that holds in kit is nicely printed but has no brand name, just says "Power Lock", neither does it have a country of manufacture. This means one of 2 things.

It's locally produced for the Domestic Market.

It's made in China.

They are being distributed through a local factor but neither my man nor the factor's rep know anything, or, if they do, they're keeping quiet about it.

From memory the kit was quite cheap (if i'd any brain I would have checked yesterday) would you like me to get a price (& a photo) for you? I'd be happy to post it from here...

Yrs

Rex

Hi Rex,

Thanks very much for the offer, but I have purchased one of the kits from evilbay, and will see how I get on. If you happen to have the door skin off if you could take a photo of how the linkage works in your installation, that would be great,but don't go to any trouble.

I am changing the doors on my car as I have found a much better pair of doors for less than the price of a pair door beams. The only problem is they didn't come with keys, so i need to swap the locks over from the old doors. I guess I can figure out how they work when I dismantle the old doors, and practice on them for getting the locks aligned etc.

Dan - thanks for the pointer, but I have the locks, in fact i even have an additional pair of locks someone gave me with keys - somewhere!

I'm not sure why - probably lazyness, but i am dead set on having remote fob controlled central door locking(!)

Thanks, Mat.