free hit
counters
Clutch Chatter - Gearchange/Gearbox/Clutch - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
billstr

Clutch Chatter

I just bought a 2003 Esprit. I'm still learning to drive it really, but I find it's quite a feat to start out in 1st without clutch chatter. Do I just need more practice, is the nature of the dual disk clutch or is there maybe something else to look at?

I can occasionally get rolling smoothly but if I slip the clutch very much at all, the whole back shutters. It seems too easy to end up with this chatter but maybe i just need more practice.

The clutch was replaced by a previous owner at 18k miles and it has about 32k miles on it now.

Edited by billstr

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Try giving it more RPM when you release - if you're in SoCal drop me a note, a few of us usually meet up at Cars and Coffee in Irvine on Saturdays

I'm up in the San Francisco south bay area or I'd love to meet at Cars and Coffee but I may be down in that area sometime.

I'll vary my style a little and raise the revs a bit to see if I can find something that avoids the chatter.

Hi Bill,

Do you have any other symptoms or is it just chatter? Do you have trouble getting gears or anything else gearbox/clutch related?

Cheers,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Everything else with a gear change is good. It releases clean and goes into all of the gears well. Just a chatter when starting off in 1st gently.

Bill, based on 10years of 918 ownership on road & track

-keep in mind ..this is not the usual US *full size wannagoon* with autobox, nor is it an simple family compact .

What you have there is a twin-plate system, with 'undamped' plates.

..what means there is nothing of those usual springs on the inner hub of the friction plates. So appart from the organic material on the plates there is not much that can cancel frequency overreactions there.

It's just 'yes or no' ..know what I mean?

So if stock plates are used for repair on your car, and not the even stronger & more harsh reacting sinter metallic versions -it just needs more practise.

Metall-substrate materials would react rough on engaging, that's sure ..but if you are not used to it even the simpler organic factory type can get you into trouble.

See Clarkson stalling the blue V8 on youtube (TopGear), you are on the other end, reacting to slow with engage (release) on the pedal.  ..he was to fast !

Ohh, and if you feel that the car runs slowly out of the parking lot and moves forward -and the clutch pedal is not pressed any more -rev it up [!] as the 918 sometimes tends to need a impulse of revs .. the 400Nm+ output is not on the lower rev-band there with the 900-1200 rpm mark, you know  ;)   ..what means the V8 can do a 35-40km/h 'cruise' a of course on idle, with no problem at all in the right [5] gear, but if you try to accelerate from stand still in 1st gear, without enough revs -it feels as if you are in the wrong (higher) gear and the engine shudders.

All this is meant with a perfect engine/gearbox mount and a fully engaging clutch (so not 'dried' out on the splines ) -if there is something wrong or misplaced further inspection would be needed

Thanks all for the information and advice. I didn't know quite what to expect but it appears it was mostly just a need for more practice on my part.  I'm starting to get the hang of this now.

I didn't realize the plates were undampened but that's actually good news because over heated and killed springs in the plates were part of what I was worrying about (new car, I worry about everything for a while).

Anyway, I'm getting better at this now, thanks again.

Bill from the USA put that over really well for you, I would also add, the flywheel is very light, it's very easy to stall a V8.. even I stall my car now and then, with a loud exhaust not wanting wake up every body, 15 years of V8 ownership. Bill mentioned a metalic Clutch....I went there did it, due to making serious power, what a disaster that was, getting away was hard any time, and worse still my 6 speed is a dog engagement, not scyncro, I would say to any owner DO NOT USE A PADDLE Clutch you will regret it.